United States
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 14m 45s
Overall Rank = 19/287
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 8/69
Pre-race routine:

Woke at 5:30. I had gotten all of my bags packed the night before, so just needed to take care of eating. Had a banana and some cheerios. Drive 1/2 hour to the race site to hopefully get a decent rack position. Drank Gatorade and water, and took 2 endurolytes and 1 Hammer Gel.
Event warmup:

4.5 miles of biking to make sure everything was in proper order, and I would be in the right gear at the start. I find that it takes me a few miles to warmup on the bike, so this has been working well for me. Skipped the prerace meeting and swam about 300 yards.
Swim
  • 12m 11s
  • 583 yards
  • 02m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was really hoping for a good swim in this race. I felt comfortable in my warmup, and all seemed ready to go. I think there were too many people in the wave for the small start area. I was bumping and jostling the whole way. Maybe I just need to get better at that. Anyway, spent too much time trying not to get kicked. The smoothest water I was able to find was right along the noodle line. Didn't last for long, and then I kept swimming up on people. Seemed like a lot of swimmers from the previous wave, or those that went out too fast, were hugging the noodles.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe start more outside, and even further up. I need to get better at going hard right away to get some rythym and find some feet to follow.
Transition 1
  • 00m 46s
Comments:

I had cut another inch off the bottom of my wetsuit. That really made the non-chip leg come out easy. I run with my shoes on and hop on. That worked pretty well. I noticed a lot of guys trying to jump on and get feet in, and I'm thinking they did worse than me in this transition/bike start. I think if you do that, you have to do it well.

Nothing
Bike
  • 40m 12s
  • 15 miles
  • 22.39 mile/hr
Comments:

I got up to speed quickly, and felt pretty strong in the saddle. There were a lot of riders in close proximity. I had 1 guy pass me, but I got him back around mile 4. Had another pass me, but I took him out on an uphill. I was having fun, and was passing a lot of bikers from the previous wave, and faster swimmers.

Around mile 7-8, I had a very brief section that must've been slightly into the wind, where my intensity and speed dropped slightly. I got passed first by a really fast relay biker, and then a group of 5 or 6 riders caught me. This seemed to wake me up. I played cat and mouse with these riders for the rest of the bike. It was tough to avoid drafting, as we were all going a similar speed and some of the riders would not move over to the right. I checked my speedo, and was pleasantly surprised by my average speed.

Over the last 3 miles, I put away most of that group that had caught me, and my speed rarely dropped below 23mph. I felt like I was actually getting stronger as the bike progressed.

This was my fastest bike split yet, and it was a lot of fun. If I did anything differently, I would try to avoid my dry spell in the middle. I just need to power through.
Transition 2
  • 00m 32s
Comments:

Very good transition

Nada
Run
  • 21m 7s
  • 3.19 miles
  • 06m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

This didn't feel like a real good run. My ranking would indicate otherwise, so maybe it was just mental, or the bike. I didn't get passed by anyone, and I usually hope for that. I did see B-one just before the turn around, and then passed him shortly after. I was very surprised to see him where he was.

Keep training. I've got more in me for this.
Post race
Warm down:

I didn't do one. I was warm enough :)

My family and in-laws were there watching and cheering for me. It was a lot of fun to have them there. It seems like my kids somewhat enjoy seeing me do that. Later, I thanked my kids for coming, and my one daughter said, "Even if someone offered me a million dollars not to watch you, I would still come watch." She is a real Ham! But, you gotta love it!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Overall, I'm happy with my race.

Event comments:

Lack of food after race was strange. Course was actually better than I expected.

Last updated: 2007-06-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:11 | 583 yards | 02m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 27/69
Overall: 90/287
Performance: Below average
Suit: Blue Seventy Reaction - Full
Course: Out and back, with a floating noodle line between.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:46
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:40:12 | 15 miles | 22.39 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/69
Overall: 25/287
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Fun. Somewhat rolling, but not too hilly country roads with some fun curves. Very light traffic, which was nice.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:32
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:21:07 | 03.19 miles | 06m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/69
Overall: 13/287
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back, mostly flat. Slightly longer than 5k. Someone with a Garmin gave me the 3.19 measurement.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-07-10 9:16 AM

User image

Regular
Central Minnesota
Subject: Graniteman Triathlon

2007-07-10 12:24 PM
in reply to: #878794

User image

Expert
Minnesota
Subject: RE: Graniteman Triathlon
Your race was an excellent one!

Now that you have seen 22.4 mph on a hilly course, 23 isn't far away and will probably occur this year. The Nevis course lends itself to a fast ride when conditions are good.

Chip passed me pretty early on in the run and I knew you weren't far behind. I actually got a smile on my face when you passed me. Everyone had relatively poor run times.

I have found that the swim portion can't be done without a bit of bumping and jostling. Take it as it comes and take charge. Alter as necessary but act, don't react, to the contact. Move around and go.
2007-07-10 1:57 PM

Veteran
North Dakota
Great job on the race!! Seems like you had a pretty darn good day. Keep up the great work!! Your time are awesome!!
2007-07-11 11:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver CO

I agree that the swim wasn't quite right. It was hard to find good water for swimming!

The food was inside that little hut they had for registration. Well, bananas and oranges at least. Not quite a feast.

Congrats on the bike split! Totally awesome. Your legs look strong coming off of a bike PR, too. Well done!

2007-07-11 12:03 PM

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
Great job Jon!  The bike split is awesome, it definately shows the time that you are putting in on your bike!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Graniteman Triathlon Rss Feed