General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Stevens 70.3 Triathlon World Qualifier Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lake Stevens 70.3 Triathlon World Qualifier - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lake Stevens, Washington
United States
WTC (World Triathlon Corporation) (Ironman 70.3)
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 37m 59s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 52/61
Pre-race routine:

The ususal routine of coffee, oatmeal, shower. Drove to the race. But two miles down the interstate. Realize we forgot the harness for Princess Cha Cha. So turn around at the next exit and race back home. Only a 15 minute delay (maybe could have got a better parking spot).

Had to circle around the event area for a parking spot. Got rest of gear to Transition and body marked. Lines were already long for the Porta Potties. Only 30 minutes before races (wave start) and Transition area was going to close. Stood in line for 15-20 minutes. While waiting my turn, some guy was asking people if he could check the next open Porta John, he had somehow lost his timing chip in the PJ. Looked in mine, Glad he looked at the floor and not down the hatch....I'm not sure if anyone would really reach down the hatch to retrieve timing chip from the pile..... Never had enough time to get tires checked for pressure.
Event warmup:

Got wetsuit on and had to exit Transition area since the pros would be coming through fairly soon. and I guess they wanted to set up the timing mats and not have age groupers setting off by exiting out of sequence.??

Watched early waves go off in the grassy area, went down to the dockside area and waded into the dark dank water, feet sunk into 8 inches of goo and weeds...waded out and ran into a submerged log, Couldn't see anything under the surface, that is why everyone was sorta backstroking out to deeper water. Arm stroke would strike log, muck or something else that was icky.
Went out 50 yards and back, mostly just breastroke (watching out for others doing quick sprints in every direction.
Swim
  • 42m 46s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 01s / 100 yards
Comments:

My new goggles leaked alittle bit, so I checked up an refitted them and had no problems rest of the way. Went out under control, established the 3 strokes bilateral breathing routine. Constantly had to keep angling back toward the bouys, noticed some guys farther out into the lake than me. At the turn, had some of the next wave catching me, but also started to pass women from an earlier age wave.

Back got a little tired, but was able to keep up the stroke and breathing pattern. Had some stupid Peter Frampton song in my head (think I heard it at Transition). Tried to get something else in my head but no luck.

Got close to the exit point ramp and saw the bottom, decided to stand up and took goggles of, than realized I couldn't touch bottom yet WTF! so I did a vertical breastroke till my toes touched gravel. Wasted 20 seconds there. Clock was set up for the pros, so had no real idea how I did.
What would you do differently?:

Just more OWS training. Felt good about how it went, breathing, calmness. Need to do more stretching and core exercise for the back.

Main goal was to be faster than last years swim.
Transition 1
  • 03m 51s
Comments:

Wetsuit bibs came off better than during training. But went to put on bike jersey (Alp d Huez Bar Jersey) and since I got chased out of Transition before the swim, Never had a chance to set things up properly. Plus space was at a minimum. (why people always say its good to practice a transition)
First I went to put on the jersey, but of course it gets all stuck to the wet body, sleeves are crimped, won't roll down the back, couldn't feel the pockets to stuff them with Gels, so stuck them in my DeSoto Tri shorts mesh pockets, got HRM watch on and Helmet than the shoes.
Wet feet don't go into shoes very well, plus I had not opened them up wide (did I say I didn't have much time for setup). Finally shoes on, though one shoe felt the heel was folded in.

Get to Transition early, even if you think you are early enough, add another 45 minutes minimum....Nothing better than to have enough time to sit back and relax and know everything is set.
Bike
  • 3h 22m 10s
  • 58 miles
  • 17.21 mile/hr
Comments:

I was cold and wet at first, plus my jersey was still feeling scrunged up and not right, Everything was out of whack feeling, plus I was concerned about tire pressure (did I say I didn't have time to check tires in transition?)(plus I had brought my pump along-but left it in the truck-since we arrived later than planned and ect.ect.ect)
After about 4 miles, Flyboy (Stan) pulled up along side me and we chatted for a mile or so. Than he pedaled on. My pace was still struggling.

Got better around 10 miles plus. Did the first big downhill and hit 40mph (spooky feeling). Seemed to be doing better on the rhythym. Got back into town for the next loop, but kept loosing momentum running up to people on climbs and having to slow to their pace, (kept worrying about race marshalls calling me for drafting up hills?) Plus didnt' want to grind legs down by powering up hills for little gain?

Threw chain once getting ready for a climb. than learned that the climb was still half mile away. On the last half of the loop there are some very good long gradual descents and high speed ones. But I had a guy ahead of me that was always riding in the middle. Plus he always chatted with me, mostly about his 9-11 paintjob on his TREK.. so I held back for a mile or two, because I was gliding (no pedals) and catching him and he was pedaling. I noticed that on all my descents that the Orbea has a nice glide-catches up on others .

Longer rides. Less Weight. Need to Push self harder, when others surge away, try to stick with them.
Transition 2
  • 02m 57s
Comments:

Tried to take shoes off to run barefoot to my area, but realized i was too stiff and tight to get them off, so did the cleat hobble to my area.
Sat down and tried to get socks on moist feet and shoes on. A little slow. Got hat on and bib# belt on an took swig of warm water.

Powder in socks, have them rolled so they roll right on (did I tell you I ran out of time setting up?)
Run
  • 2h 26m 16s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

Main goal was to run and only walk the water stations....did for 7 miles, but did 3 or 4 very short walks (able to get going after about 15 yards).
Starting my second loop after passing the crowds. I got passed by the great Sister Madonna Buder (Ironman dozen times over) I sorta went into mental deflation...."Oh my goodness, passed by a 79 year young Sister".
Told myself to let it go, just keep working my pace and say it's training...Saw that she had stopped and was sucking on a gel, came up beside her and (trying to be witty) said "its cooler here than in Spokane". Referencing the latest heat wave. She kinda looked at me like I was local yokel Clydesdale dude. Than another female runner came up and asked me if I was on first or second lap...BINGO! They were on their first lap and I was on second. WHOOPEE, I'm not a slug getting passed by Sister Buder. Very much relieved.

Saw Stan on the final out and back. Congrats and good luck at STP and IM Florida. Got to the final 600 yards took off sunglasses and tried to remember to keep head up crossing the line. Felt ok at the finish.

This had been my longest run since the 50K back in March. Messed up foot two months ago, limited run training, which is just getting back to normal. Need to keep up on the long runs for the next month.

I was happy that I was able to run most of the way with very limited walks (water stations didn't count). Mentally Strong Feeling.
Post race
Warm down:

I wanted something salty. All they had was fig newtons, cookies, granola bar stuff and fruits...I wanted Chicken broth, pretzels,....Someone said there had been pizza. (That's the problem of being a BOP) all the goodies go early.

Got the bike and gear and wandered back to the Ridgeline.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm weighing too much. 216.5. I weighed myself when I got home before eating dinner. 215. Figured I took in enough fluids.

Mental prep before race knowing the transition area is setup. June Training had dropped off somewhat, Laziness on my part. Get back into CORE training and stretching.

Should have been more assertive on passing people on bike, instead of worrying about them speeding up.

Improved on two of the disciplines.

Event comments:

It's improving. I went to the expo and mandatory briefing. Phil Burke said it is one of the tougher bike courses in the USA.

Just need to have some tweaks here and there.

Last updated: 2007-04-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:42:46 | 2112 yards | 02m 01s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/61
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
No watch or HRM for the swim
Suit: DeSoto T1
Course: One Rectancular loop with orange bouys marking the way.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:51
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
03:22:10 | 58 miles | 17.21 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
HR for the bike and the run. Had problem stopping and resetting it. So let them run together.
Wind: Some
Course: 2 loop course out into the country side. Two lane roads, rolly with fast descents and grinding climbs. Surface was ok, one bump by a bridge by the lake and saw alot of yellow sponges from the profile drink systems (think that is the brand)
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:57
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
02:26:16 | 13.1 miles | 11m 10s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Two loops, first is rectangle shape, than an out an back stretch. City streets.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-10 1:26 PM

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
Subject: Lake Stevens 70.3 Triathlon World Qualifier

2007-07-10 1:52 PM
in reply to: #879584

User image

Expert
Issaquah, WA,
Subject: RE: Lake Stevens 70.3 Triathlon World Qualifier
Great job Spence! I always worry about getting to my races on time so I am always about 2 or more hours early. Don't hesitate to pass people next time!
2007-07-10 10:39 PM

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID
Great race Spence!  It was really good to see you out on the course, especially the run.  As you saw, I was about dogging it by then so it was a nice pick-me-up to see you!  Have a great IM Canada buddy!
2007-07-11 7:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Calgary, Alberta

Awesome race!! Loved the part where you thought you'd been passed by a "79 year old Sister". Lol!

Looks like you're ready for IMC!!

Thanks for the inspire, by the way. Needed it!

2007-07-11 9:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Champaign, Illinois

Excellent job on the race... Looks like you overcame a lot of little hurdles and kept going, great!

2007-07-11 9:34 AM

User image

Expert
Pitt Meadows, BC
Nice job on the race! Ever thought about wearing a tri shirt under your wetsuit? That way you don't have to try and put a shirt on when you're all wet - just a thought. Great job otherwise!

2007-07-12 12:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, WA
Great job Spence! Best of luck in Canada!
2007-07-12 9:38 PM

User image

Colorado Springs
BellinghamSpence - 2007-07-10 12:38 PM

Good race, I heard they had pizza at the finish. If so I didn't get any.

Doing it next year?

Thanks! I'm happy with it being my first foray into long course (although I was kicking myself for not crackin' 5), but ya there's next year right? So ya I am planning on doing it. Although it is a heck of a drive from Colorado, that's where my family is so it makes it a little easier. Too bad you missed out on the pizza. After the race it was incredible!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Stevens 70.3 Triathlon World Qualifier Rss Feed