General Discussion Race Reports! » Grand Haven Y Festival of Races - Olympic Triathlo Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Grand Haven Y Festival of Races - Olympic Triathlo - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Grand Haven, Michigan
United States
3 Disciplines Racing
85+F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 20m 12s
Overall Rank = 39/172
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 6/27
Pre-race routine:

A lot of running around. We were directed to park at the State Park (lakefront) about a 1/2 mile from the YMCA (transition area). When we pulled into the parking lot jschmitchicago and I were certain wee weren;t swimming due to the conditions (whitecaps and rip tides and the swimming caution sign put out by the ranger). So we left the wet suits behind and got hiked it to transition only to find out otherwise. I hoofed it back to the car and walked back with the suits so by the time I got to setting up I had already walked/run 1.5 miles. And then after setting up we had to walk that and then some back down to the beach for the start.
Event warmup:

see above.
Swim
  • 10m 16s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 34s / 100 meters
Comments:

So I guess if I lived on the left coast this would be the norm - five foot waves and rip tides. I can't say that I really swam. It was combination flailing and body surfing. We went out straight into and against breakers trying to swim against the current and the waves as much as possbile so by the time we were dragged back we would be around the first bouy. This tip was supplied by the women who went out first. Most of whom were swept far right and had to struggle to get back and around. The guys on shore immediately started moving up the beach for a better angle. Once around the bouy we were beyond the hard breakers but unfortunately I got pushed in again. Made it difficult and sometimes impossible to site and breath on either side or even while treading water. Pretty much body surfed as best I could to the final bouy and then back into shore where I got dumped another two times trying to get to my feet. If it were a water park - fun. Being that it was a race, well, that sucked.
Transition 1
  • 12m 11s
Comments:

12:11???? Well with the shortened swim we had to run the better part of 800 meters on the beach back to shoes (if you left them) on the boardwalk and then another 800 meters up (and I mean up hill) to the transition. I was so in a a state of whatever that I stopped to use the rest room. This wasn't a race that I would sacrifice hygiene for speed.
What would you do differently?:

We are subject to the elements what can I say.
Bike
  • 1h 13m 47s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.21 mile/hr
Comments:

A friend of mine came out on the course and was just before the turn around point. A good distraction and a little bit of a kick in the butt to push harder. I was holding back a little on the way out because I didn't know how much I would tire in the wind. Hammered on the way home though. Saw a rider down with emergency vehicles in pursuit. I think a guy in the sprint distance got hit by a car. Not cool.
Transition 2
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

Quick ties doing the trick. I was so hyper off the bike I got through transition and didn't quite know what happened and missed the first aid station at the start of the run. Comparatively that was a step in the right direction for me.
Run
  • 42m 45s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

On my last mile I passed a woman who was foaming at the hips. Seriously. Like Bobby Brady putting too much soap in the clothes washer episode kind of suddsing. What could that have been?
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. This is the part of all my races when I make up all my time. I kept my streak alive to four races now that I haven't been passed on the run. I don't know if that speaks more to my running or the fact that I am such a slacker in the other disciplines.
Post race
Warm down:

Walking back down the hill to run it again with Jen.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I just didn have my A game today...too many puts and missed chances around the green - oh I'm sorry that was Tiger Woods.

Thrown off by the swim and just wanting to survive. Anything after that was gravy.

Event comments:

Great, great volunteers. Really pretty area but the run course needs some working on. Its too bad that they have had hard luck witht the swim. A race 24 hours ealier and it would have been perfect. What can you do?

Last updated: 2007-02-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:16 | 400 meters | 02m 34s / 100meters
Age Group: 13/27
Overall: 61/172
Performance: Bad
Suit: Orca Sleeveless
Course: Lake Michigan. Out and then semi-parallel to the shore and angled in. Course as set up last second to make adjustments for the conditions.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: High
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Good Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 12:11
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:13:47 | 24.85 miles | 20.21 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/27
Overall: 61/172
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong
Course: Out and back. Headwind out and tailwind/crosswind back.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 01:13
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:42:45 | 06.21 miles | 06m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/27
Overall: 14/172
Performance: Good
Course: Weird loopy course. The first part was great - its was all downhill but at one point I was really concerned that I veered way off course - I was off all alone on this tire track path through a field. Course finished with a 1/4 mile run straight up a hill. Boy Howdy!
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-07-10 5:03 PM

User image

Regular
Oak Park, Il
Subject: Grand Haven Y Festival of Races - Olympic Triathlo

2007-07-10 8:01 PM
in reply to: #880157

Champion
South Jersey
Subject: RE: Grand Haven Y Festival of Races - Olympic Triathlo
Wow - lots of craziness going on with that race! Way to stick it out. You finished great in your AG and overall. Nice work. I hope the next one isn't quite as "unusual." Enjoy the rest of your season .
2007-07-10 8:03 PM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois
Sounds like you endured a very difficult and tough race.  That bike in the wind, and especially the run were awesome.  No one should swim in that stuff.  See you next week, and the following week!
2007-07-12 6:20 AM

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member
Sounds like you really made the best of some very rough conditions out there.  I'd probably still be bobbing somewhere out on Lake Michigan with those kinds of waves to deal with....   Let's just hope that you've now used up your "Bad Swim Karma" for the year and that SoR will be calm and easy.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Grand Haven Y Festival of Races - Olympic Triathlo Rss Feed