General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need a new Bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-01-22 1:12 PM

New user

Tacoma,wa
Subject: Need a new Bike
My wife Michele and I need new bikes. Since we are new to the sport I do not want to buy expensive ones BUT I do not like buying something that I will need to be replaced soon either. Any suggestions?

2004-01-22 3:46 PM
in reply to: #4608

Elite Veteran
Boise, Idaho
Subject: RE: Need a new Bike
You might check your local bike shops as a lot of them are getting in there 04' models and are needing to get rid of there 03' models. I don't mean to saound like a car salemans, but a friend of my just picked up a GT Tri bike for about $750, the bike was going for $1200 last year. And I know that a local bike shop in my area were having good deals on 03' road bikes too. Plus it lets you try out bikes before you spend your dough. I have another buddy that bought a road bike off an internet site and hates it even though he got a screaming deal on it, it doesn't suit his riding style he says.
2004-01-22 7:10 PM
in reply to: #4617

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids
A good bike is an investment. If you can invest your time first, find a good bike shop that will direct you to the correct size bike. After that road test as many bikes as you can. I have found that every bike is very different, even in the same price group. Also if you can join a Tri group in your area they may get discounts at some shops. Even if the don't you could still tap some of the members for some good referces. The last thing I have found is bikes can be like computers, the ones being shipped for this season are already being made obsolete. Try not to get to excited by techno jargon. I bought a good bike 15 years ago and still use it for off season and bad weather, but I have updated to a better bike for my "enjoyable" rides. Best of luck and congrats on having a wife that is interested in your choice of hobbies.

Joe
2004-01-23 8:26 PM

New user

Tacoma,wa
Yes I am a lucky man. Thank you for your responses. I will keep this in mind......I'll let you know if I'm interested in the bikes.
2004-01-29 9:10 AM

User image

Regular
Boston, MA
My recomendation would be to get a list of every bike shop in your area and just go to each one. At the first couple of shops ride a $700 bike, ride a $1500 bike, and a $3000 or $4000 bike. Even through this is not in your price range it may give you an idea of what price differences feel like. After the first couple of shops, stick to bikes in your price range. I think I ended up going to about 12 - 15 shops and I probably road at least 30 - 40 bikes. It also took me almost 2 months to finally make my decision, but it is the offseason and you have some time. I have not heard anything good about buying bikes online, two of my friends have gone that route (saved a couple hundred dollars) but they both regretted it.
2004-02-03 9:56 AM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
What is your price range and what do you and your wife want the bikes for? Will they be used on the road only or in triathlons only or both? Do you want to race or tour? Familiarize yourselves with the bike shops in your area and find the most reputable one. Get yourselves properly fitted by an acknowledged fitter. Look for bikes with at least Shimano Tiagra or better yet 105; these components will last you forever with a bit of maintenance.

2004-02-09 10:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Lubbock, TX
I agree with Estimated Prophet above. Go to all the bike shops in your area. Each will tell you something different, but they will all "fit" you and your wife for the correct size bike. This is the first step. Keep in mind that the bike should be comfortable for you to ride. If it is not, you won't ride it. It is just like a shoe. You wouldn't wear a shoe that was too tight or too big, would you? Keep this in mind when you are shopping. Also, most bike shops will have some bikes available for you to try/ride. There are so many different kinds/styles that, quite frankly, it is mind numbing. Good luck in your quest. FYI, I started with a mountain bike because of the comfort.
2004-02-11 4:50 PM

User image

New user

Hamilton, NZ
Does anyone have any strong opinions on Avanti bikes? I am also looking at buying my first road bike but don't want to spend a fortune (just yet!). The Avanti range seems quite cheap, and there seem to be a few second hand Avantis around. Is there a reason for this?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need a new Bike Rss Feed