General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Timing Chip/T1 Questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-07-12 12:35 PM

User image

NY
Subject: Timing Chip/T1 Questions
I have my first tri this weekend... Hoping someone can give me some insight as to what we do with the timing chip. Do you just wear it from T1 on?

Also - What's your recommendation for where to put your wetsuit in T1 once you move onto the bike. Should I bring a bag and stuff it in there?

Any advice is appreciated.

2007-07-12 12:38 PM
in reply to: #883145

User image

over a barrier
Subject: RE: Timing Chip/T1 Questions
You wear it start-to- finish...

Just stick your suit near your transition towel....you won't have issues with walking away.
2007-07-12 12:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brookhaven, PA (Philly Burbs)
Its waterproof. Wear it for the whole thing. The promoter will go over this in the pre-race meeting. I have only been to one race where the promoter checked the swimmers ankles before they got into the water, right after they staged but before the wave went off.

The Promoter will tell you (explicitly) that if you're not wearing, you wont get timed. If you dont think you wont forget it coming out of T1, then put it on in T1. Personally, I think its just one more thing to put on in T1, which will cost a few seconds. Just wear it in the water.

As for where to put the suit:

Bring a towel. Spread the towel near your bike in your little spot. Once you remove the suit, throw it on the towel. Stuffing it in a bag will take some time. No one will steal it. If T1 is in the sand, then it will get sandy. after the race, walk down to the water and rinse it off.
2007-07-12 12:46 PM

User image

NY
Awesome. Thanks for the tips.
2007-07-12 12:47 PM

Veteran
Both races I've been in gave me an ankle strap to attach the chip to and I put it on before the swim start and kept it on the whole race. You can buy your own strap at any tri store for about $3.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Timing Chip/T1 Questions Rss Feed