Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2007-07-13 7:08 AM
in reply to: #883223

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Cyclists that run red lights

I did a bike TT last night and after a short cool down rode to the finish line.

This one is done on open roads and the finish is on a busier road with no shoulder. I watch this guy sprint hard to the finish, let up then swerve into the middle of the one lane going the direction he was with a car right behind him. He didn't even look....he was lucky he didn't get run over by the car and he was totally at fault.

Whenever I move out of the line I'm riding I turn my head and check for other cars, cyclists or whatever.

What gets me is stupid cyclists who influence drives opinions on all cyclists. 

2007-07-13 8:46 AM
in reply to: #883866

User image

Master
Knightdale/Raleigh
lil_turtle - 2007-07-12 7:50 PM

... the street we were crossing was a 3-lane one way with lots of traffic going at least 35-40mph.  Or so I thought.  A group of three cyclists came up from the other side and one of them darts across the intersection.  I don't think he ever even touched his brakes!  Two cars (who still had the green light) had to slam on their brakes for this idiot.  Once they'd stopped, the first guys buddy apparently decided he should go too so between the two of them they totally blocked the intersection....

Here's another question for you all....If you come up to a stop light or sign where there is a line of cars waiting to go, do you go up the shoulder on the right to get to the front of the line?  I've seen lots of ppl do this lately but to me it seems stupid b/c it just means that the cars will again have to pass you without much room to do it.  Unless there's a bike lane that goes all the way up to the light....that's a whole different story....but otherwise I figure if i'm riding on the street I should stay in the same lane as the cars do and not try to sneak up the side.  

I understand the let it go camp's point of view, but I'm really curious what the guy in this example thinks about it. Does he think that his momentum or time is so important that everyone should have to yield to him. Clearly the second guy was feeling the peer pressure, although I would think the will to live should be stronger. I guess its possible he lost a contact and couldn't see the traffic.

As for the filtering up the right side, I prefer not to do it. I have once (peer pressure) I was commuting for the first time and the experienced guy I was riding with had gotten ahead. When he stopped at a light there were a couple of cars between us. When he turned to talk to me I went ahead and pulled up. In this case we had about 10' of shoulder, so the cars had no trouble passing us. I don't think bad of people who do it, I just choose not to myself. Especially people who commute, I can imagine it would be very awkward to wait through several light cycles. If them pulling up on the right makes it possible for their's to be one less car on the road, I think that's reasonable. They are putting their life in danger, but I'll try not to right hook them.

Edited by DMarkSwan 2007-07-13 8:48 AM
2007-07-13 8:56 AM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
By moving up to the front of the line at a red light, you give all the motorist a chance to see you and prepare accordingly to overtake in a safe manner, so I do move up to the front, staying all the way right, making sure even the very first driver see's me. I think that's safer than being someplace in the middle, especially at intersections where someone turning righ may not see you behind them and turn into you. Go tot the front and that won't happen.
2007-07-13 9:40 AM
in reply to: #884315

User image

Master
Knightdale/Raleigh

bryancd - 2007-07-13 9:56 AM By moving up to the front of the line at a red light, you give all the motorist a chance to see you and prepare accordingly to overtake in a safe manner, so I do move up to the front, staying all the way right, making sure even the very first driver see's me. I think that's safer than being someplace in the middle, especially at intersections where someone turning righ may not see you behind them and turn into you. Go tot the front and that won't happen.

Every situation is different and I certainly respect your choosing a way that is safe for you. I feel that few drivers look to their right as they prepare to turn right and worry that they would hit me before I got in front of them and in their line of sight. I take the lane in line with other traffic and wait to move right until the car in front of me starts opening a gap.

2007-07-13 10:56 AM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
I only do that when all traffic is stopped and I have time to get to the front before it turns,otherwise I try and hold my spot as well.
2007-07-13 2:28 PM
in reply to: #884125

User image

Veteran
Key West, Florida
Great quote!

I do most of what has been mentioned from time to time just as I speed and roll through stop signs from time to time in my car as I am sure everyone does.

Here in florida as I would guess anywhere . . . the rules / laws for riding is the same as driving and here in FL as some of my Saturday and Sunday riding friends have found out . . . the sheriffs and local authorities will ticket those riders they witness breaking the law . . . !

They have gotten tickets speeding through residentials and for not coming to complete stops at stop signs and red-lights.

So I guess as with driving if you are going to do it . .. be prepared to meet the consequences of you actions.

m-mcclain - 2007-07-13 6:43 AM

Just curious, for all the avid law abiders?

1) do you signal every time u turn?
2) do you speed through residential areas?
3) have you ever passed to the right?---improper passing
4) do you drink from your water bottle while moving--distracted driving?
5) do you check your bike computer while moving----distracted driving?
etc......

let it go--if they get hit by a car its on them

2007-07-13 4:50 PM
in reply to: #883263

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
ranger5oh - 2007-07-12 1:21 PM

I always stop at lights, but I must admit, if there is no traffic, I will then proceed through. I consider myself half-pedestrian half-car when I am on the road cycling.

Well, I will proceed through if I can see that the light will not change... because I don't have enough weight to set the sensors off to change it from red to green.

Although I always stop and look at a red light. It's just dangerous to blow through a red light.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cyclists that run red lights Rss Feed  

of 3