General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Potential move from Austin to Dallas.... :( Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-07-13 9:36 AM

User image

Regular
Austin, Texas
Subject: Potential move from Austin to Dallas.... :(
Hey all you racers out there! I just got some bummer/happy news that my hubby will be interviewing for a job in Dallas. I totally don't want to move from Austin - we absolutely LOVE it here. We have so many great places to run, ride and swim. I adore Austin. Plus my folks are here, which is another aspect...

He would be working downtown so I would want to live in central Dallas or South Plano.... maybe even that area around WRL. He grew up in Ft Worth and I would prefer to live there but his commute would probably be atrocious. I work out of the house (software sales) so it doesn't matter where we live for me.

Anyway, how is Dallas in terms of training? Is it like Austin where you drive to the store and see 20 cyclists between your house and the store? I just dread getting used to a big city again. Booooo.

Cheer me up. Tell me you love Dallas....

2007-07-13 10:51 AM
in reply to: #884400

User image

Champion
Butler
Subject: RE: Potential move from Austin to Dallas.... :(
You might not see as many cyclist as you would in Austin, at least I don't see too many and I try to avoid roads and stay on the trails but you can definately find places to ride around Dallas.  If you are going to live near WRL you can run there and there are several area lakes to swim in. 
2007-07-13 11:20 AM

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

I grew up in Austin so it will always hold a special place in my heart.  My parents are still there and I love the town.  I wasn't tri'ing when I was there, but I know that the cycling and triathlon scene is really growning down there.

Having said all that, I like it here in Dallas too.  I've been here for 3 yrs now, and I've been doing tris the whole time.  One of the best things about this area is the plethora of races.  You can find a sprint to do pretty much every weekend in the spring and fall, and more OLYs and HIMs are popping up too.   I also enjoy doing some of the many cycling rallies we have near the Metroplex every summer.

WRL is nice, although it can get quite crowded on Sat and Sun mornings as well as some weekdays after work.  I live in Flower Mound where there are some nice country roads that make me feel like I'm not in the city anymore!  Plano has a very active cycling community too from what I hear!

The Metroplex will take some getting used too, but I think you'll learn to like it as I have.  There are a lot of nice triathletes here! 

2007-07-13 1:26 PM

User image

Dallas
I’ve posted some general info w/ the links to running stores, bike shops, etc. on our homepage… not too comprehensive... it might be helpful for you.

There aren’t any tri-specific bike shops like ATC or Jack & Adam’s in DFW. You’ll probably use Richardson Bike Mart (www.bikemart.com) and/or Plano Cycling and Fitness (www.planocycling.com).

Whtie Rock Lake is great for running. For riding? I’d probably rather use it as a launching pad for longer rides into the outlaying area e.g. Mesquite, Seagoville, Sunnyvale. One of the popular route is 'South Loop', out-and-back for approx. 100 km.

Or, if you prefer much longer distance, you can continute to Forney, Crandall and back for approx. 160 – 180 Km (that's 100 – 112 miles for those ‘metric-system challenged’ folks ;)

If you are into trail running, Northshore trail at Grapevine Lake is the popular one. This is also a popular spot for people to do open water swim.

But, currently it’s flooded, it may not be ‘runable, swimable’ for a while.

Hope this helps a bit.
-charles

2007-07-13 1:47 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Move to Fort Worth and your husband can ride the train to Big D and back (http://www.trinityrailwayexpress.org/).  Life's slower here than in Dallas or it's 'burb cities.  We live in one of the oldest neighborhoods in FW (http://www.historicfairmount.com/), a mere mile or two into downtown or to the Trinity Trail (http://www.streamsandvalleys.org/access or http://www.texasoutside.com/hikebike/TrinityRiverFrames.htm).  It's not Austin, I know, having lived there from '92-'97, but it's a nice place to live and raise a family.
2007-07-13 1:53 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas

We just moved here a little over a year ago.  Granted, we moved from Baltimore where the tri season was 3 months.  So, while I can't compare it to Austin, There are lots of places to swim, bike and run.  The trinity trail in Fort Worth is great!  White rock lake is really good too.  There are tons of BT'ers in the Metroplex. 

Let us know if you're gonna be up here!

2007-07-13 1:56 PM

User image

Regular
Austin, Texas
Thanks so much everyone for all of the information! I am just bitter about the possibility of leaving beloved Austin.

If we have to move up there Fort Worth would be a first choice. My hubby went to Paschal HS and TCU for grad school. We have a lot of friends in that town in addition to his mom... so it would be great to have that support system with our two little kiddos (just shy of 2 and 4).

To be honest I hadn't thought about the train as an option... we may have to keep that in mind as i would prefer the West side of the metroplex bc of the family/friend connection.

Well if this gig looks good for us as a family I may be posting some more questions.

THANKS!
Lauren
2007-07-13 1:58 PM

User image

Regular
Austin, Texas
I TOTALLY forgot about the Trinity trail in Ft Worth! That goes right by my hubbiy's old stomping grounds of Tanglewood!
2007-07-13 2:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin TX
Been there, done that...2.5 years ago. Hubby lived in Austin 15 years and me 10 before moving to Allen (north of Plano, south of McKinney). I've adjusted nicely, although my husband (Dad23) really misses Austin (trees, hills, lakes, hippies, full body tattoos, homeless people, etc.). We were runners and cyclists in Austin, but didn't do tri's there. Recently started doing tri's up here and there's more than enough to choose from on any particular weekend. The cycling community in the north suburbs (Richardson, Plano, Allen, McKinney) is pretty large. My husband and I have done some group rides with the Richardson Bike Mart and the Plano Bicycling Association and they are very large. There are also a lot of bike rallies each month that are in the near vicinity. I belong to Lifetime Fitness in Allen/McKinney and I swim there and do cycling classes. We have also done some nice bricks from there where we ride on pretty quiet streets in McKinney.

No, it's not Austin, but I think you can find a place up here that you would be happy in. Allen is nice and they are in the process of building a big mall with tons of restaurants and an event center with a minor league hockey team that will play there. Traffic is somewhat comparable I think. There were many a day when it took me 1 hour to go 13 miles in Austin because Mopac was a parking lot.

Good luck!
2007-07-13 2:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Talk him out of it..... It just aint the same. You can survive, but you won't really thrive, especially up here in the urban sprawl and concrete jungle/six lane eternity of the northern dallas area. I'm still bitter....

OK, Mom23 came down on me with unbridled force... Sorry for the overly negative tone. There are some really great people and some good race opportunities. I do love going to RBM also.
I just still haven't adjusted to this more hectic pace of life and miss my old training routes with hills, trees, off-road trails, neighborhoods that connect, etc. I'll get over it eventually. Best of luck to you and your family.

Edited by Dad23 2007-07-13 3:19 PM
2007-07-13 3:25 PM

Regular
Cedar Park, TX
Sorry to hear you might be leaving Austin. I think I would cry! BUT -- Dallas/Ft Worth isn't bad. I think you'll be able to find places to train (sounds like it from the posts). At least it isn't Houston! Sorry to any Houstonians, but I grew up there, and you couldn't pay me enough to live there again. My dad is there (Kingwood), and we hate visiting. I'd definitely take Dallas over Houston. Austin is the best place to live in the world, though. Is this a for sure thing yet, though? I'm assuming not.

Kelli

2007-07-13 3:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin TX
Please don't let Dad23's somewhat negative attitude scare you. He is having a bad day. He works from home and we have 3 kids (7,5, and 5 years old). So, needless to say, his "office" life is lacking somewhat.
2007-07-13 3:56 PM

User image

Regular
Austin, Texas
OK, mom23 and dad23, you guys are cracking me up! I am totally giggling here!

I am trying to play the supportive spouse role and say that if the job looks good, we can move. I think if the offer comes and we have to take this seriously I may have an emotional meltdown.... the "urban sprawl and concrete jungle" are mighty scary.

Kelli - I grew up in houston too and have ZERO desire to go back (sorry Houstonians!) I grew up out in the Champions/1960 area. Nice area, just not a fan of Houston in general.

2007-07-14 7:19 AM

Regular
Cedar Park, TX
OMG! I grew up in the Cy-Fair area. I went to Cy-Fair HS. Did you go to Cy-Creek? For my junior and senior year, we actually lived where I should have gone to Cy-Creek, but my mom taught at Cy-Fair, so we could live anywhere (we moved to Montgomery, AL when I was 13 and lived there 3 years and moved back to Cy-Fair, and we wanted to stay at CFHS where we knew everyone) and I could still go to Cy-Fair. We lived in Lakewood Forest right off Louetta. What a small world! I'm happy to know I'm not the only one that feels that way about Houston. So, did you come to Austin because you went to UT? Just curious. I went to UT, met my husband my freshman year in Longhorn Band, we got married the end of my senior year, and we stayed. DH works for UT on the research campus as a mechanical engineer. Anyway. It is funny I meet so many people from Houston in Austin (we're all trying to get away!!)

So, mom23 and dad23, you have twins too? Mine are 6, then I have a 20 month old! Cool.

Kelli
2007-07-14 8:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin TX
Too funny. I also grew up in Houston...Missouri City. My parents moved to The Woodlands while I was at A&M and it's quite nice there. However, I also would not choose to move back to the Houston area.

And yes, we have twin boys who are 5 and a girl who is 7. They were all born in Austin.

Keep us posted!
2007-07-14 11:22 AM

User image

Regular
Austin, Texas
WHAT A SMALL WORLD!!!!

I went to Wunderlich Jr Hi and then we moved ot Allentown PA for my 8th gr and Freshman years. I went to Klein Forest for 1 year (soph) and then transferred to St Pius X where I graduated in '91. My mom taught at Campbell Jr High forever! I wonder if they know each other or the same people anyway... My mom had some friends that taught at Cy Fair!

I didn't go to UT - I am an AGGIE ('95)! (Mom23 - GIGEM!) I met my husband throguh one of my BFFs from A&M... she married my hubby's older brother! So now we are SILs. Kinda fun.

2007-07-14 1:37 PM
in reply to: #885772

User image

Queen BTich

mom23 - 2007-07-14 8:26 AM Too funny. I also grew up in Houston...Missouri City. My parents moved to The Woodlands while I was at A&M and it's quite nice there. However, I also would not choose to move back to the Houston area. And yes, we have twin boys who are 5 and a girl who is 7. They were all born in Austin. Keep us posted!

Whoop Whoop! Galveston, BOI here then off to A&M.

Back to the thread, DFW is MUCH nicer than Houston and there are many more races and training opportunities. JeepFleeb lives about a mile from the Trinity Trails right by TCU and I love the area. I would much rather live here than in Dallas. WRL is nice and a good place to train and see people, but the Trails were hopping this morning. Its slower paced here but still a great city. There are rides and run groups too: Lukes Locker, Pearl Izumi, etc.

Sorry you have to move. I'd hate to leave Austin too. At least you're not going to El Paso (el crappo) like I am next month. Someone save me!

2007-07-14 9:34 PM

Regular
Cedar Park, TX
mom23- Our twins are identical girls. So, do yours start kindergarten this year? Wow, all 3 in school. I can't wait for that day. My son will be in preschool 2 days a week this year, though, so that will be nice.

Aggies don't bother me. My MIL is actually a professor at A&M. Dh grew up in College Station. I forgot everyone from Houston goes to A&M. JK It just seemed like it. My parents and all my relatives are UT alums and were in LHB. I was a music major, and A&M doesn't even offer that major. I always wanted to be in LHB, though.

Lauren- My mom didn't teach at Cy-Fair for long. She was there from about 1990 to 1997. Then she moved to Round Rock when my parents got divorced and worked at Leander HS. She now works for Region 13.

What a small world it is!! We will all definitely have to meet!

Kelli
2007-07-14 10:37 PM
in reply to: #886151

User image

Veteran
Austin TX
3chilipeppers-
My twins (fraternal) are supposed to start Kindergarten this fall, but will instead go to a private transitionary pre-k program at our church 4 days a week. Since they're boys, they're a little 'immature'. Those boys just don't like to grow up as fast as us girls!

Yes, preschool 2 days a week is definately nice.

Oh, and by the way, we also lived in Cedar Park before moving up here to Allen. We lived on Fall Creek Loop off of Lakeline Blvd. Just lived there a short time though...we lived in the Arboretum area for over 8 years until our planned 2nd child ended up being the 2nd and 3rd!

We're coming to Austin in October to do the HIM at Longhorn. Are any of you doing it??? We should meet up!

Edited by mom23 2007-07-14 10:40 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Potential move from Austin to Dallas.... :( Rss Feed