General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Calming Nerves/Getting Sleep before Race Day? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-07-13 9:50 AM

Subject: Calming Nerves/Getting Sleep before Race Day?
It's still a month out, but I thought I would ask this now. I don't know about anyone else here, but the night before I am going to do something exciting/fun/stressful, whether it was my Comprehensive Exam in grad school or the super-fun camping trip I took in May, I can never fall asleep and I always wake up early. This cannot happen the night before my race - I need to make sure that I will get an adequate night's rest. I'm already planning on making it to bed by 10:30 every night for the two weeks leading up the race and will do the same the night before. I'm just worried that I won't fall asleep, or that I'll wake up during the night.

What are some things you guys do to get yourselves relaxed the night before? Also, I don't know a whole lot about tapering, but since I'm still very new to triathlon training, I will probably take it a bit easier the week-week and a half before, but still do workouts and will probably take a couple of rest days right up before. But I don't want to take TOO many. Thoughts on this as well? Should I rest for a few days and then maybe the day of do a short, easy bike or run just to make myself a teeny bit tired so I'll sleep? Or take a total rest day in general? Sorry for such silly questions!

2007-07-13 9:56 AM
in reply to: #884438

User image

Runner
Subject: RE: Calming Nerves/Getting Sleep before Race Day?

Everyone responds to tapering differently.

I will do the same thing I always do.  Have a beer or two.  Run.  Probably in reversed order, though.

2007-07-13 10:03 AM

User image

Master
Athens, Ga.

For a sprint, I usually taper for a day or two or three, not too much, because if I don't do something, I'll go crazy - and it's harder for me to sleep. But, really, don't expect to get much sleep the night before. Before my first tri, I got crazy dreams about being late and being last and them moving the signs and stuff. If you get enough sleep that week leading up to it, that should help. Also, now that I've done a few, I sleep better. It's like first day jitters for anything! I know that doesn't help, but if you're prone to sleeplessness before something big, expect it.

Oh, and it helps my mental state to be all packed the night before. And I think I'll try the beer next time.

2007-07-13 10:05 AM
in reply to: #884477

Champion
South Jersey
Expect not to sleep well the night before the race. The third and second nights before the race are your most important nights in terms of getting good sleep. But, the night before the race, even if you're not sleeping, just lying there with your eyes closed will be enough. You'll be fine on race day if you're sleeping well in the days leading up to race day eve.
2007-07-13 10:09 AM

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
I do something fun and ultimately relaxing with the wife, and I'll leave it at that. 
2007-07-13 10:12 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Taper for a sprint - take it easy (easy, short session with some bouts of intensity) 2-3 days before race. Avoid long/very hard sessions up to 5-7 days before (in particular running)

Rest before the race – many just CAN’T so don’t fight it or stress about it, make sure to get good sleep on Thurs and Friday though (if your race us on Sunday). The lack of sleep de day before won’t affect your race much.

2007-07-13 10:22 AM
in reply to: #884500

newLeaf - 2007-07-13 11:09 AM

I do something fun and ultimately relaxing with the wife, and I'll leave it at that. 

This is why I hate being single...
2007-07-13 11:02 AM

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane

I rarely sleep well the night before a race either. Unless it's a race I am dong from home (as opposed to staying in a hotel) I'll go and have a look at the site and usually ride the bike course easily (assuming a sprint race) This year, I have been bringing my wife's bike too. We ride the course at her pace. If I do packet pickup the day before the race, I'll get my sickers/numbers/race belt all together, pack my transition bag (again) and go to dinner. I usually have 2 beers.

I'll sleep fitfully, but a little

I agree that the week leading up to the race is the most important time to be getting your rest.

2007-07-13 11:48 AM
in reply to: #884531

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL

wurkit_gurl - 2007-07-13 9:22 AM
newLeaf - 2007-07-13 11:09 AM I do something fun and ultimately relaxing with the wife, and I'll leave it at that. 
This is why I hate being single...

Then just get yourself a boyfriend for the night.  Since you already know you will not sleep well the night before the race, make sure to get good sleep the few nights leading up to that.

I can also send you a few engineering books to read, that should help knock you out.  If they don’t, they are heavy enough to hit yourself in the head with.

2007-07-13 1:51 PM

User image

Master
Harvard, Illinois

The night before a race I take a pill called Gaba Calm. Gaba is produced in the brain and stimulates relaxation. I wake up very refreshed and ready to race.

I will rest two days before any race. I will eat alot two days prior to the race and light meals the day before.

My taper consists of intense workouts with lots of rest. For example I will do 10x100 swim in the pool with 2 minutes rest between each 100. I don't really taper a run. I just decrease my mileage for the week.

2007-07-13 5:27 PM

User image

Master
I often sleep poorly and especially before exciting days, as many of you do. As an allergy sufferer, a Benadryl is a remedy that has the pleasant side effect of deep sleep, even between and after the multiple wake-ups due to the hydration process. Having a race-day checklist and getting everything laid out and checked off before going to sleep helps also. The many who say not to stress if you have trouble are wise. Believe me, you'll be fired up come race time.

2007-07-13 6:34 PM

Regular
Austin, Texas
My first Tri was about 3 weeks ago and my next is this Sunday. 1st Tri I got virtually ZERO sleep. Had dreams about being later just like the OP said. I finally rolled out of bed 30minutes before I needed to b/c it wsa doing me no good just lying there. Once I got to the Tri site, almost everyone told me that very few people get much sleep the night before....even the volunteers! They have to be there earlier than many of us do!

So I plan on getting a very good night's sleep tonight -there will be medication involved and sleeping as late as I want to tommorrow. I'll have all my gear checked and packed (and dobule checked and packed...then TRIPLE checked and packed) and ready to go. I'll make my breakfast, get my drinks ready and put everything in the car that can go. I don't plan on sleeping much. My training partner and her DH are having us over for an early dinner and a game or movie to help get our mind off the race.

OH!!! and this time I'll remember to eat and drink more during the day tomorrow! Last time I was too nervous to eat any kind of real lunch, but I'll force it down tomorrow if I have to.

All I'll have to do race morning is drink my coffee, eat my breakfast, put my drinks in my cooler, pump the tires, rack the bikes and GO.

Edited by UTFan 2007-07-13 6:35 PM
2007-07-13 9:28 PM

User image

Master
Morse Lake, Noblesville, Indiana
I sleep poorly all the time - why should the night for the race be treated any different? I take Ambien - usually night before a race around 7PM, ready for bed around 7:30-8:00. Ambien is worn off, out of my sustem no later than 1AM, I have a good night sleep and am refreshed, and have no issues waking up at 4am for the race.

Ambien is nice for not having a hangover. Biggest issues with it, you don't get a full night of sleep and you are a little forgetful the next day.

Other things that help, I use a checklist of everything that goes, and make sure everything is where it needs to go - packed in the car - the afternoon before. Bikes are already on the vehicles, and travel nutrition/hydration is ready to go as well.

I am able to roll out of bed, slide on sweats, brush teeth, grab keys/beverage/food and hit the road all in about 10 minutes, confident I have not forgotten anything.

Now, that piece of mind, plus the ambien, I can go to bed and sleep well...
2007-07-13 9:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
MN

Once again, Laurn has the answers.

Usually you are getting up early anyway so getting a decent nights sleep wont happen.

I'm about to sit down eat nachos and watch a movie.  Stuff is all packed (I have a very detailed checklist).  Preparing will help.

2007-07-13 11:24 PM
in reply to: #884488

User image

Elite
Texas

LaurenSU02 - 2007-07-13 10:05 AM Expect not to sleep well the night before the race. The third and second nights before the race are your most important nights in terms of getting good sleep. But, the night before the race, even if you're not sleeping, just lying there with your eyes closed will be enough. You'll be fine on race day if you're sleeping well in the days leading up to race day eve.

That's exactly what I do. But even those 2 or 3 nights before can be difficult for me because I'm not a great sleeper. I take a sleeping pill those nights and get 9 or 10 hours. The night before used to mean almost no sleep when I was a crappy swimmer and I was dreading the OW swim. Now that I swim well, I sleep okay.

Edited by Bill 2007-07-13 11:24 PM
2007-07-14 9:36 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Well, I completely put the race out of my head. I watch TV and focus on that... I busy myself with other stuff to do. When I lay down to go to bed, I tell myself that tomorrow is "just another day". I breathe deep and I clear my mind.

Since I started doing this, I sleep like a baby up until my alarm going off. It's so nice.

Tapering. Well, when I was doing my own training plan, tapering meant "I get rest days". Now that I have a coach, tapering means, "I get to train all week, only a little less". If you view my training log, you can see how I do a taper. In fact, the last week or two of May was a really good taper for me. Otherwise, I have a race on Sunday, but I'm not really tapering for it. So this week is a bad example.

2007-07-14 9:41 AM

User image

Master
State of Confusion

I am not a good sleeper. The night before a race is usually my worse night's sleep. I haven't found it to be too big of a problem though. The excitement of the day and adrenaline carry me through. I have no troubles sleeping after the race though. Don't worrytoo much about it. Get enough rest leading up to the race, and if the night before the race you don't sleep, at least you've "banked" some good hours until then.

Good luck!

Yeah...what Lauren said. I should have read the thread before responding. Have a great race!

Edited by NightOwl 2007-07-14 9:44 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Calming Nerves/Getting Sleep before Race Day? Rss Feed