General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bummed AND losing motivation! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-07-13 12:34 PM

User image

Eden Prairie, MN
Subject: Bummed AND losing motivation!
Here's the scoop: After my very first tri on July 4th, a couple of issues I've already dealt with a couple times came back a'haunting - my tailbone (due to a childbirth injury almost two years ago now) and my ankle started hurting again. I have a great Family Practice doctor who sort of specializes in Sports Med. He had helped me fix these and some other pains awhile ago and made it all possible for me to train and complete the triathlon! So I went to him on Tuesday, after a great 2 mile run that morning, even with the pain I was having - it wasn't so bad that I couldn't run.

He told me I need to hang up my running shoes and bike for a month! I'm supposed to work on my swimming (which is my strength anyway and I love doing it!) and do some leg muscle strengthening and weight training in general. I don't disagree with him at all, and since then haven't gone running or been on the bike, and am feeling no more pain in either area.

But I'm BUMMED! I was having so much fun doing those things. I know I need to strengthen my leg muscles and take it easy cuz of the pain - but I'm still bummed.

I'm trying HARD to not lose momentum and to do as he told me. But now I'm finding it turning into a downward spiral - I'm not doing another race this year (for these and other reasons) and I'm excited to work on strengthening by weights and such. But it was such fun training so hard and now it's just over (for now).

I am going to swim tomorrow morning and going to the gym for weights on Sunday. My husband will be traveling almost all of August (I have three kids) so I cannot go to the gym while he's gone unless I have someone babysitting (my gym has no childcare). I have a clear plan as to my workouts while he's still home - and a little less clear of a plan for when he's gone.

I guess my question to you all is how do you all stay motivated when there's a lot of time between races?

Sue Ellen

2007-07-13 12:56 PM
in reply to: #884868

User image

Champion
Richmond, VA
Subject: RE: Bummed AND losing motivation!
Sorry to hear about the injury.

When I have a long gap between races (road races for me), I tend to focus more on the training as a goal instead of the race as the goal. I have a race in 2 weeks and then nothing scheduled for 6 weeks until my Half Marathon and then a 2 month gap until the Marine Corp. Marathon.

During those gaps, I simply look at each week of the training plan and focus solely on that.

An analogy may be that when I'm thinking about running a Marathon, I don't think of it as running 26.2 miles, but rather I think about it as running 1 mile 26.2 times.

Not sure if that makes any sense, but I hope that helps.

Good luck.

2007-07-13 1:00 PM

User image

Expert
Smyrna, GA
I definitely feel your pain.  I am in a similar boat - currently injured and not real sure when I'll be able to do my next triathlon.  I guess the thing I try to remember is that there is always next season, and the one after that, etc.  I also have an injury because of muscle weakness and I really need to strengthen those muscles before I can return to running without injury.  It certainly is frustrating, but even though I don't technically have a race I'm "training" for, I try to think that all the PT and strength and core work are training for when I'm finally injury-free and ready to go.  Hang in there - you're definitely not alone!
2007-07-13 1:51 PM

New user
If goals give you motivation, set some goals for swimming and strength training. Write down the goal and a "prize" you get for reaching that goal. Put the money aside now for that item - put it somewhere where you can see if everyday to remind you of the next hurdle you must overcome on your way back to full steam.

A goal could be weight based - for example, leg press 115 lbs (not sure where you are starting) for 3 good sets at 15 reps or learn to swim comfortably on your weak breathing side for an entire workout.

I hope you find ways to stay mentally charged.

Good luck!

2007-07-13 1:55 PM

User image

Eden Prairie, MN
Thanks, you two! I like the idea of the training being the focus. I'll keep that in mind.

Good luck with your strength training, too! No fun to be injured - but good to think it'll be done with and another race is only around the corner (a long, drawn out corner thru fall, winter & spring - but a corner, nonetheless!).

I appreciate your support! And good luck to you all! I'll keep checking on everyone's races and getting tips from you all! You're a great resource!!

Sue Ellen
2007-07-13 1:56 PM

User image

Eden Prairie, MN
Thanks to you too, lshum00! I like your idea of the reward! And the specific goal setting plan! I'll do it! SE

2007-07-13 4:50 PM

User image

Champion
MA

I hear you...I have been healthy less than 3 months this year and have had reoccuring injuries limiting my running and new one due to a bike crash limiting my swimming.

Thing is if you push your recovery and get back at it to soon it will crop up over and over again. It is frustrating to know you worked hard and you are losing fitnesses in x or y. I did my longest run today in 6 weeks and it wasn't long but it was hard and I can see how much I lost.

For me when I have leg injuries I can still cycle and do more of it...and I'm best at it. Sounds like you and swimming. We are supposed to work on our weaknesses but for both of us we can't.

Why not pick another event you can do later in the year. Is there a ows race you could enter? Maybe a fall running race? Be creative, find something that sparks your interest so you get your mojo back. It is hard when you want to do something and can't.

I try to do my PT/strength with the same gusto I train with. I'm probably recovering 3x faster than most folks with seperated shoulders. As I strength trained before which makes it easier to get muscles to do what they want and had pretty strong upper body for a women and I work really hard at it now.

Lots of strength training you can do at home. Can you swap babysitting time with a friend so you can go 2x a week while your husband travels? My husband travels a lot too...it is hard. Maybe get a months membership at a gym with childcare?

I started walking a lot as I was going nuts not being able to work out...it helped calm me and made me feel better.

The motivation between races...just know the work you do now will benefit you huge next season. You'll be amazed how much you can improve if you work diligently year round. It really surprised me after the first year of year round consistent training...how much faster, stronger, and more endurance i had.

Hey I grew up in Edina...very close to you...but back then Eden Prairie was farm lands... 

2007-07-13 5:34 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

For most of us, doing Triathlons is not about getting a tick on the checklist of life. Some folks finish a Triathlon, and think to themselves, "Check, now let's go do something easy...".

I for one am in for the long haul. I bagged most of my Triathlon Season in 2006 just to focus on running. (I ended up running 4 marathons in 12 months) Looking back, I have no regrets at all for having done this.  I am a much stronger runner now, (My run really sucked) and I made a lot of great friends in the Marathoner Community.

One of the concepts of Training that I learned from them is Periodization. The idea is to always keep things fresh avoid monotany at all costs.

This means not doing the same thing over and over again. I have found that Periodization very much applies to racing as it does to training plans. Mixing things up is a great way to maintain the mojo over the long haul.

Pure runners have a much harder time with this concept because the only real variables they can play with is the distance of the race they run and the surfaces they run on.

I personally have come to really enjoy longer distance Ocean Swim events. I did a 5k Swim race a few weeks ago and plan on doing another 5k Rough Water Swim race this fall. (Just before I head into the fall/winter Marathon Season)

The possibilities are endless...

2007-07-13 5:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Could you find a winter tri in a warm weather location, and set that as your goal? YOu might be able to get a mini-honeymoon out of it, too!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bummed AND losing motivation! Rss Feed