of 2

2007-07-28 11:36 AM
in reply to: #904922

User image

Expert
Pitt Meadows, BC
Subject: RE: Kelowna Apple Tri
mararunner - 2007-07-27 10:15 PM

I said 23??? opps I meant 43minutes....LOL i'm not that fast!!
Hahaha, I read that and thought "Man, she must've been the first out of the water!!" Good job in Oliver! Those 3 guys that dropped out were using Oliver for a training race and it wasn't worth it to them to run an extra 4 miles just to finish a race. The run turnaround wasn't marked/manned when they went by but the RD got someone out there really quickly to fix that problem. It was an unfortunate mistake, but it happens. Hey, it moved you 3 spots up overall!!

Derek - from the sounds of it, you're ready to rip up the course in Kelowna! With the training that you're doing now combined with your results in Penticton, you should be smokin' in a couple of weeks!

2007-08-02 5:55 PM
in reply to: #886022

User image

Spokane

Hello everyone and happy day,

I'm signed up too and will be driving up from Spokane.  This race sounds like lots of fun and I can't wait!  Im still trying to decide road vs tri bike, guess I'd better THAT decision pretty soon.

2007-08-02 8:39 PM
in reply to: #911769

User image

Expert
Pitt Meadows, BC
racinmason - 2007-08-02 3:55 PM

Hello everyone and happy day,

I'm signed up too and will be driving up from Spokane. This race sounds like lots of fun and I can't wait! Im still trying to decide road vs tri bike, guess I'd better THAT decision pretty soon.

Hey rac, it should be a good race. I'm guessing you're doing the oly on Sunday? I'm in the same boat as you with the bike choice, but given the corners and the few hills on each lap, I think I'm going to go with the road bike. If I'm spending more time on the bullhorns than in aero on my tri bike, it's not worth it - much easier to do on the road bike.
2007-08-07 12:34 PM

User image

Spokane

Hey Hey,

Good point about corners and road bikes.  The map they had up earlier was awful but now there is a new really good map and it looks more like a tri bike course to me.  A fair amount of gentle corners and some good straights too.  Decisions decisions.....

2007-08-07 9:07 PM
in reply to: #916541

User image

Expert
Pitt Meadows, BC
racinmason - 2007-08-07 10:34 AM

Hey Hey,

Good point about corners and road bikes. The map they had up earlier was awful but now there is a new really good map and it looks more like a tri bike course to me. A fair amount of gentle corners and some good straights too. Decisions decisions.....

Good, they finally put up a bike map that makes sense!!! I still don't know though, there's at least 9 corners that are 90degree turns or more and considering each loop is only 10k, that makes those straightaways not too long....right? Anyone else have any opinions on this???
2007-08-09 1:17 PM

Sydney Australia
Subject:

2007-08-09 1:23 PM
in reply to: #889538

Kelowna BC
Despite having every opportunity in the world to head down to the lake and check out the sprint swim course, I've only been there once. Kind of scared I may have to do most of the swim with breaststroke, to keep my nerves calm.

Gee, I really ought to go swim in that bay a couple of times before next weekend, eh?? I can't wait until I'm no longer a tri noob.
2007-08-09 1:29 PM

Sydney Australia
Subject:

Edited by misscullen 2007-08-09 1:33 PM
2007-08-09 1:38 PM
in reply to: #919948

Sydney Australia
Subject:
2007-08-09 3:05 PM
in reply to: #919979

Kelowna BC
I'm racing on Saturday, but I have a bright blue Nike swimsuit and bright blue goggles, over which I plan to put a navy (sense a colour theme here?) tank top and navy running shorts for the rest of the race. Even my shoes are blue!

But my bike is bright red.
2007-08-09 5:17 PM

User image

Master
Port Moody, BC
This sucks!  EVERYONE is going to the apple race this weekend!  I'm thinking I'll be the only shlub going to the Cresent Beach race.  Good luck in the race up there, hope the weather is nice.

2007-08-09 5:55 PM
in reply to: #917408

New user
Hey Apple people,
Yes, they have changed the course. I am from Kelowna. I have done the old loop and it had construction on it so hense they changed it. For those of you here the week before- riding it can be a bit of a joke due to stop signs sooooo just plan to be stopped a lot.

So after the Knox climb - which brings my heart rate up high if I'm not careful, you gently turn down this hill, which is a great opportunity to tuck and enjoy the downhill (recover) before you turn right up High which is a turning uphill (probably standing for a short bit) then right on Glenmore for some more downhill, followed up a gentle rise and fall before you turn onto Clement (not a sharp turn due to a turning lane). The left turn to Graham and then to Cornation is to aviod chewed up road... but it will be annoying to do those turns. Clement, onwards is flat untill you climb Knox again. :-) I plan to actually bike the whole thing on Saturday all 4 loops as my last longish bike ride.....

For the swim - for those of you coming to Kelowna earlier - there is nothing special about that beach... save you time and go to Gyro for a 1000-2000m swim around the buoys. Go in the AM when it is less wavy and busy. At the waterfront park beach there will be a log boom but the markers and the log boom won't be in the water until the last minute. Gyro is much more enjoyable and you can see the bottom for most of it plus great practice for sighting....

Any other course questions????
Heather
2007-08-09 9:14 PM
in reply to: #920379

User image

Expert
Pitt Meadows, BC
mararunner - 2007-08-09 3:55 PM

Hey Apple people,
Yes, they have changed the course. I am from Kelowna. I have done the old loop and it had construction on it so hense they changed it. For those of you here the week before- riding it can be a bit of a joke due to stop signs sooooo just plan to be stopped a lot.

So after the Knox climb - which brings my heart rate up high if I'm not careful, you gently turn down this hill, which is a great opportunity to tuck and enjoy the downhill (recover) before you turn right up High which is a turning uphill (probably standing for a short bit) then right on Glenmore for some more downhill, followed up a gentle rise and fall before you turn onto Clement (not a sharp turn due to a turning lane). The left turn to Graham and then to Cornation is to aviod chewed up road... but it will be annoying to do those turns. Clement, onwards is flat untill you climb Knox again. :-) I plan to actually bike the whole thing on Saturday all 4 loops as my last longish bike ride.....

For the swim - for those of you coming to Kelowna earlier - there is nothing special about that beach... save you time and go to Gyro for a 1000-2000m swim around the buoys. Go in the AM when it is less wavy and busy. At the waterfront park beach there will be a log boom but the markers and the log boom won't be in the water until the last minute. Gyro is much more enjoyable and you can see the bottom for most of it plus great practice for sighting....

Any other course questions????
Heather

Thanks Heather, that's a lot of really good info. From the looks on the map, the bike course has a lot of sharp corners, yes? How long are the straightaways? What's the run like, seems like it'll be really flat from what I know of Kelowna.

- good luck riding the course on Friday, give us your opinion afterwards too. I read your thread about your lack of training for a couple of weeks and sounds like you got a lot of really good advice - I will second it.

This is going to be a great race, I'm really getting excited for it!! Are we going to set up a meet time/place or what? For the race I'm going to be wearing a new crazy tri shirt and shorts from Sugoi which has a crazy pattern on it and is red/black/white - trust me, you'll know when you see it!!

Jonathan

Edited by VanCityJ 2007-08-09 9:14 PM
2007-08-15 12:27 PM

Sydney Australia
Subject:
2007-08-15 1:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Victoria
I am definitely also interested in this, although I did use an altitude mapping system (runningmap.com, just charted the points and looked at elevation map).

It didn't look too horrible, considering it looks like it only lasted maybe 100 meters? Again, I can't attest to the accuracy of the website, but it is quite sharp over a short ditance.

Can anyone offer up a little more information?
2007-08-16 6:05 PM

User image

Spokane
I'll be racing (if you can call what I do racing) Sunday, will have TeamBlaze Spokane Tri club jersey on, it's bright orange/red/yellow, hard to miss.  I'm hoping to meet some of you up there.  We leave Fri morning, have a great race everyone!!!

2007-08-16 9:25 PM

User image

Expert
Pitt Meadows, BC
So are we going to meet up or what?? I'll be there sometime Saturday at noon-ish, staying at the Coast. I know what some of you are wearing (at the race) so that'll help!
2007-08-17 12:09 PM

User image

Spokane

Here is a thought, is anyone doing the bike course tour on Saturday at 2 before we turn bikes in?  I thought it might a be a good way to loosen up and see the course and some fellow BTers. I'll be on my white tri bike and hope to see some of you there.

2007-08-20 9:14 PM

User image

Expert
Pitt Meadows, BC
Hey, just checked out the RR's - good job everyone! It was great meeting racinmason and- too bad I couldn't meet the rest of you! Next time! Any other reports coming - derek? mararunner? sunnyone?

Edited by VanCityJ 2007-08-20 9:20 PM
2007-08-21 6:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Victoria
My race report is up!!

Congrats to all of you guys and gals!!!
In my race report you will see I tried to see if anyone from BT was around me, but got no response!! My internet usage was very limited until I got back to UBC today!

Great job everyone!
Hope to meet you all eventually!!
Derek
2007-08-22 10:17 AM
in reply to: #933486

Kelowna BC
My race report - all I learned was that I need more endurance training! A LOT more. But for my first (sprint) triathlon, I really didn't suck. And I figured out that swimming is a good event for me.

2007-08-22 10:45 AM
in reply to: #935745

User image

Expert
Pitt Meadows, BC
sunnyone79 - 2007-08-22 8:17 AM

My race report - all I learned was that I need more endurance training! A LOT more. But for my first (sprint) triathlon, I really didn't suck. And I figured out that swimming is a good event for me.
Hey, you have to learn these things sometime, right? As long as you had fun at the same time then it was good! At least you had good weather on Saturday!
2007-08-26 2:23 PM

User image

Spokane
Huh, I think you can never have enough training!  Way to go everyone!  Good races all.  If you go next year, it would be cool to have a BT meet somewhere before the race.
New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum British Columbia » Kelowna Apple Tri Rss Feed  

of 2