fort worth, Texas
United States
74F / 23C
Total Time = 2h 45m 40s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Since the race began at midnight, I had all day to eat and drink. And, boy did I ever...a little too much. I took a few naps and basically stayed out of the sun. I wanted to conserve all my energy. I got my gear ready and headed out the door.
Event warmup:

I got to the race about an 1 1/2 before it began. Picked up my packet. Meet up with Texmom and DB. Found a spot to lay my bag down. Light jog and stretch before the race. Used the potty a couple of times (drank lots of water/gatorade all day long) Started at the mid-back of pack.
Run
  • 2h 45m 40s
  • 15.58 miles
  • 10m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

Texmom, DB and I started off bunched together, but after the first loop we spread out more. DB stayed with us until the 2nd loop. The first loop was tough for me. I definitely ate too much and the pasta was just sitting in my stomach. I wore my hydration pack filled with watered down gatorade, but after the 2nd loop I took it off. It was annoying and heavy on my hips. I ate some gu around mile 6 and then again at mile 12. My plan was to run at least 12 and then everything else was bonus. Well, on loop 4 I decided that I was going to run the entire 15 miles. Why stop? By the time the 5th loop started, my knees were killing me...especially the right. I bought new shoes about 3 weeks before...same style, size, brand as I had. I think I might need to try something different. My knees have never ached like that before. I was so happy for the final stretch. Texmom and I picked up the pace to finish strong.

I actually had a great time...a little numb by the 3rd loop, but pressed on. Oh, I got a pebble stuck in my shoe on the 2nd loop. Fortunately it stayed under the arch of my foot for the race. The last 1.5 miles the rock began to wiggle around and went from the arch to the heel and then to the pad of my foot. I was determined not to stop with only 1.5 miles left. Luckily, when I crossed the finish line I was able to retrieve it and no blister formed.

I have to say for El Scorcho the temp outside was pleasant. Humidity was high, but by 1:30am, I didn't notice it as much. The skies were clear with a light breeze. It even felt cool by 3am.
What would you do differently?:

I need to figure out prerace food. I eat way too much. I felt good with the gu/water/gatorade during the race which is a great accomplishment for me.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and STRETCHED! My knees were so sore and tight. Drank some water and ate a few bites of pasta.

***Sunday, reflexology and pedicure with Texmom! We so deserve it!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Over-eating! I take carb loading to a whole new level!

This was my longest run EVER! I just need to put in the distance, but I'm pleased with my overall performance considering I had not run more than 7 miles in several months...like 5!

Event comments:

This was El Scorcho's Inaugural race. For beginning at midnight, the volunteers were enthusiastic and many spectators lined the trail. More lights are needed at the north end of the course, but the organizers did there best to keep problem areas lit with lamps, car lights, cones, etc. I had a great time! I'll be back next year...

Last updated: 2007-07-12 12:00 AM
Running
02:45:40 | 15.58 miles | 10m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: It was a 3.1 mile loop on crushed gravel, concrete and grass. We mostly stayed on the gravel and concrete. The street portion of the race was very unstable. Lots of pot holes and cracks to avoid. Tree limbs were also hanging down and had to be avoided. Lights were flashed on uneven pavements in some places. Aid stations were placed 1.5 miles apart. Some areas of the loop were quite dark. Headlamps and blinking lights were handed out for us to use on the trail.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes