Ironhead
77F / 25C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 41m 8s
Overall Rank = 108/390
Age Group = 25-29 F
Age Group Rank = 7/21
Pre-race routine:

Woke up about 4:30 (4:32 to be exact), grabbed my race stuff, a cliff bar, and my water bottles, and headed out. Got nervous on the way because of my lack of planning for this race. Also hoped that my friend (and co-worker) didn't drag himself out of bed just to watch me do this race.
Event warmup:

I went for about a 1/2 mile jog that felt like crap, and then got in the lake thinking it'd put me back in a positive mindset. I'm scared of things that swim around, so I went back and forth between the closest two buoys about 4 times. I'm such a pansy, but I don't want to be the first one to venture out to the farthest buoy and then get eaten by a rogue alligator. It could happen! Anyway, the swim felt pretty good and relaxed, so I was pleased with it.
Swim
  • 24m 28s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 38s / 100 meters
Comments:

Funny story - I thought this swim was 800m. Nevermind that it's laid out in front of me and I could see the buoys while standing on the shore. So I tell my boyfriend that I'll probably be out of the water within 12 min or so. Ha! Half way into the swim, I breathe toward shore and realize that I was only half done. Doh! Luckily I drafted off a girl in my AG the whole time. But man, I really need to stop slacking on the swimming because I was FAR too tired when I got out of that lake.

The course was decent - I ran into some weeds along the way, but that's to be expected with the high water and inherent lake-ness. The waves are what killed me. Either there was a wave runner who was way to close to the swimmers or a boat went by, but it was torture. So much chop (not to mention from all the swimmers in previous waves). I think I just got bored and tired of swimming (maybe because I thought I was supposed to be done sooner?). Honestly, I'm not very pleased with my swim - mainly because it just hurt too much and I was too tired for what I should be. I'm definitely getting out of swimming shape. Crap.
What would you do differently?:

Not neglect swimming so much - ie, add a few hours to the day so I can adequately train.
Transition 1
  • 01m 21s
Comments:

I was so freaking tired that I pretty much took a breather on T1. Read: negative attitude coming soon.

Push through, I guess... but I was pretty tired.
Bike
  • 1h 18m 30s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 20.02 mile/hr
Comments:

Ha! This ride hurt from the second I got on the bike. It was borderline miserable. I'm not sure what went wrong, but it just flat out sucked. First, I launched my gel bottle within the first 5 miles (sorry everyone - that was my gu flask on the main road just outside the park entrance). My HR stayed relatively low (170s), but my legs just tightened up something fierce. Even a cadence of 90 was painful. I knew I should have had an average ~21 for the course, so I guess 20 isn't too bad, but it hurt like a bitch. I'm pretty sure that every 5 minutes I thought about quitting. I actually hoped for a flat so that I could just go home.

I'm going to have to look at my seat position because something is hitting a pressure point in my hip that radiates down my thigh and it KILLS. I was actually more comfortable out of the saddle than in it! Also, Thomas thinks we should look into a different crankset for my bike - I felt in between gears the whole time, and since there were virtually no hills, it was awkward for almost the whole 26 miles. I think I passed maybe 3 people, and I'm pretty sure that close to 30 passed me. Totally depressing and demoralizing. I'm hoping that it's the previous week of hard workouts and long riding that has done this. I'm definitely going to take it easy on my legs for the next few days.

Honestly, I'm not sure - not feel like sh*t? But how exactly do you do that? Realistically, not launch my gu, and most of all - RIDE MY OWN RACE.
Transition 2
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

This transition was about as craptastic as the last one. I sauntered in, tried to act like I was hurrying, but I felt like my tank was already on empty. I had trouble re-racking my bike, but honestly, I didn't mind because it gave me more time to rest. I didn't have socks (damnit) so I was just hoping that I could hold off on the blisters until at least mile 4. Then I just prayed that I didn't pass out and have to get taken to the hospital - that'd be embarrassing.

Bring fresh legs. Either that or make it an impromptu relay and be done with it.
Run
  • 55m 35s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 57s  min/mile
Comments:

Not a bad MOP run, I guess. Considering I wanted to shoot myself before I even got to mile 1. For about the first 3 miles, all I could think is "there is no f'ing way I'm going to be able to do a HIM... who the hell am I kidding?!?" Usually having fans is really helpful and I like it when people cheer. Today I just wanted my boyfriend to disappear into the crowd - I was so embarrassed how slow and painful this run was. I stopped at EVERY aid station to walk. Since I didn't get any gu or any other nutrition, I was gunning for the gatorade station - where (luckily) they made the gatorade really sweet. Perfect. Somehow I thought that maybe after that cup I could take off like a rocket. Ha! I wish I had a picture of what I saw ahead of me as I drank that gatorade. It can only be described as a low-grade hill with one of those long, never-ending straight aways at the top. As far as I could see ahead of me, there were runner's heads bobbing in the heat waves. Oh hell no. I made a deal with myself that I'd run at whatever pace I could muster until the next aid station. I pretty much made this deal with myself the whole way through. When I got to the aid station that was essentially the "half way point," I had a huge relief that at least I was on the downhill end of it. I guess I finally settled into running, because I started managing 8:30/miles instead of the 9-9:30 before. Then as I rounded what I think was the 5 mile point, I had picked it up to 8:00/miles. WTF?!? I was descending this stupid thing. I even ran straight through the last aid station. Essentially, I have no idea what happened on this run, why it felt so painfully miserable in the beginning yet ended up to be a really solid pace. I guess it was hot, but I'd think I'd get worse. Either way, my legs are giving me the finger now.

On another note, thank goodness for all the aid stations. IMO, they were perfectly placed and evenly spaced with cold water - they saved me on the hot run.

Try not to be so negative going out. Make a better effort to set a good cadence and strong stride from the get-go so that I might be able to settle into my pace sooner.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk around and beg my friends to cut my legs off. Chatted and ate pizza with Karen and Aaron (and Shiner). Got my bike out of transition, moped a little because I didn't get hardware for the first time ever :( and then went home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My bottom half.

Event comments:

Great race - Jack's races always are. Perfect weather, unfortunately not much shade and direct sun, but that can't be helped.

Last updated: 2007-05-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:28 | 1500 meters | 01m 38s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/21
Overall: 9/390
Performance: Average
Suit: Speedo top and Desoto tri shorts
Course: A sweeping loop in the water - kind of a triangle.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:21
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:18:30 | 26.2 miles | 20.02 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/21
Overall: 231/390
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: out and back with a 2-lap loop.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 94
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:13
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:55:35 | 06.21 miles | 08m 57s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/21
Overall: 161/390
Course: out-and-back with the most daunting straight-away and about 1% shade
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-15 2:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX
Subject: Ironhead Dallas Triathlon

2007-07-15 4:05 PM
in reply to: #886458

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
Subject: RE: Ironhead Dallas Triathlon
At least you were first to get a RR done! You will do fine with the HIM. You said it yourself, "lack of preperation". With the HIM, you will have your training geared specifically for that race. Feel good that your body came around and you made a strong finish. 2:40 is a very good time. Your AG must have been pretty strong today. BTW when you get that couple extra hours in the day thing figured out, fill me in.
2007-07-15 6:22 PM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX

Tough break out there today.  Don't let this discourage you...you've got what it takes to finish an HIM.

I noticed you made no mention of nutrition after dropping your gel bottle.  If you didn't have any other nutrition until the gatorade on the run, that could be why you were able to pick it up at the end of the run.  Something to think about I guess???

Thanks for the RR.

2007-07-15 7:24 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-07-15 7:26 PM
in reply to: #886665

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX

jcbolton - 2007-07-15 6:22 PM I noticed you made no mention of nutrition after dropping your gel bottle.  If you didn't have any other nutrition until the gatorade on the run, that could be why you were able to pick it up at the end of the run.  Something to think about I guess???

Absolutely.  I'm sure it hurt me.  For the entire bike, I only had my weak AminoVital - so that was rough.  I took all the gatorade I could to try to get some sort of sugar back in me, but I know having zero nutrition sealed the fate of my poor legs.  Note to self - have a backup nutrition plan Smile  Better to learn now, I suppose!  Thanks for the comments!

2007-07-15 9:13 PM

Champion
Dallas, TX
OK look lady... I'm not even going to listen to it.

I train a bit more than you do... and was about 35 minutes BEHIND you. Horrible race? I could only dream of having a horrible race like that. Got it?

Slow transitions... try 3 minutes... 1:30 is NOT slow in my book.

You did a great job... so stop your b!tching!

With all of that said, I think today's race was probably a kick in the butt for both of us. We know that we have to step it up to get through the HIM without being completely miserable.

2007-07-15 10:22 PM

Champion
the colony texas

dont' be so hard on yourself,!!! it always sucks when things don't go as planned or you do as well as you know you can... but even with all those little hiccups you were still hauling it out there today and had a great time.. If I even dream of that fast of a time, I wake myself up  to say stop dreaming

2007-07-16 8:50 AM

Pro
Texas
For the record, I think your lower half is fine.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironhead Dallas Triathlon Rss Feed