United States
Village Of Lake In The Hills
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 33m 51s
Overall Rank = 50/299
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 14/52
Pre-race routine:

There were two separate transition areas. I set up my T2 transition area first and then rode my bike over to T1. I liked the way the transition was setup. It was by bib number so you didn't have fight to find a spot to put your bike. That system really needs to stay.
Event warmup:

I swam in the lake a little bit. The water was warmer than the air so then I just sat in the lake. I was thinking to myself. I could go poo in this lake right now and nobody would know. I got that idea from all of the goose droppings on the shore.
Swim
  • 14m 32s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 39s / 100 yards
Comments:

I had a great swim. I did not wear my wetsuit because of the two transition area setup. The race director had it setup that so that you had a bag in T1 to put your stuff from the swim in and they would transfer that over to the T2 area so you can reclaim it after the race. I didn't want to take the time to dilly dally making sure my wetsuit was in a small bag.

I did get run over quite a bit in the first 100yds. Then the swim thinned out a bit.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 00m 55s
Comments:

I had a great T1, everything clicked for me. I had a faster T1 than the race winner, go back to school you has been.

Nothing
Bike
  • 45m 26s
  • 15 miles
  • 19.81 mile/hr
Comments:

I thought this was the hardest bike ride I have ever done for a sprint. Some courses are usually flat. But this smacked me in the face and said you need to work if you want to finish. I worked as hard as I could.

Nothing
Transition 2
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

I had a great T2. I don't think there was anything I could have done to make it quicker.

Nothing
Run
  • 32m 1s
  • 4 miles
  • 08m  min/mile
Comments:

I had problems on this run. I had greater expectations of myself. I had some cramps during the second mile and some side stitches in the third mile. I really felt good the last mile so I picked up my pace. I know I could have done much better. Maybe it was the slab of BBQ ribs I ate last night, I don't know. I do know it was the ribs. But how can I turn down a slab of ribs. I am so weak.
Post race
Warm down:

I just drank as much water and Gatorade as possible.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

BBQ Ribs.

Event comments:

I thought this race was well organized. Constant communication through email from the race director. She mailed maps and information about race day. I went into this race with zero questions about anything.

There was a cop at every intersection on the bike course. It was nice not having to worry about the traffic.

Good drink stations on the run. Plenty of volunteers manning the stations. I wish I could thank them all personally for coming out and they were so motivating, just telling us all to keep running.

There were alot of elite athletes at this event. Many were using this as a training day for Spirit of Racine and Steelhead. Very competitive field. I hope this race is sanctioned for next year. You know what else was nice. The race director personally greeted people at the finish line. That was great. I thought she isn't about making money or socializing with friends, she is congratulating us on finishing the race.

All I can say is that if you live in the area you need to do this race. The bike course is challenging but knowing you have some really good competition pushes you to do your best.

Last updated: 2007-06-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:32 | 880 yards | 01m 39s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/52
Overall: 52/299
Performance: Good
Suit: No
Course: The course was kind in a square shape.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:55
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:45:26 | 15 miles | 19.81 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/52
Overall: 0/299
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: The course was an out and back. It has some short climbs on it. I could never get my heart rate low enough where I felt comfortable. I was giving it all I could.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:59
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:32:01 | 04 miles | 08m  min/mile
Age Group: 23/52
Overall: 0/299
Performance: Below average
Course: The course was through a residential area with the last 3/4 mile on a paved trail. There was a slight hill towards the turnaround that didn't affect me much.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-07-15 3:53 PM

User image

Master
Harvard, Illinois
Subject: Lake In The Hills Triathlon

2007-07-16 7:56 AM
in reply to: #886518

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chicago
Subject: RE: Lake In The Hills Triathlon

Good Race!

Thanks for a good + funny report - it'll be on my radar for next year!

2007-07-16 8:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Williamsburg, Virginia
Great race, it sound like that is a fun event. I also like the transitions being assigned, I did a race that had they last year and it just makes it easier.
2007-07-16 8:40 AM

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL

Nice race.  Sorry to read the hills smacked you around a bit.

2007-07-16 9:15 AM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

Great job!  Wish I had seen you at the start but oh well, maybe next time.  I drove the course on Sat and rode it on Sun afternoon and I was surprised how hilly it was for a Sprint.  It was a good ride - fun!

Glad you liked Trudy.  I got a chance to meet her yesterday morning and she seemed very nice and very cool and collected, even though she was in the middle of starting a 1st time event.  Glad to hear that you liked the race.

2007-07-19 2:13 PM

User image

Nice job on the race Mike!!!

All three events looked really fast to me, sub 1:40 swim, almost a 20mph bike, and a 8min pace on the run, well done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you are going to have something limit your ability, BBQ Ribs is a good one.

2007-07-19 5:37 PM

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ

awesome job!

BTW: the ribs sure didn't hamper those smoking T1 & T2 times - damn, bro... that's noice!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake In The Hills Triathlon Rss Feed