Chattanooga, Tennessee
United States
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Clyde
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 3:00AM and drove out there and got squared away. Could have slept another hour as it took them awhile to get us started.
Event warmup:

Chat with NAMSC and BTer's. Some light stretching
Swim
  • 30m
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

I have had some issues with Goggles the last few races, I need to find a pair that fits my big mellon! Seems like a luxery to not have to stop and empty the water out every two minutes.

Some jerkoff in a motor boat created a buch of wake right at the end so I got a few nice gulps of river water!
What would you do differently?:

Better goggles and spend more time in the pool (BOOORIIIING!!)

I am gonna look into those MP3 goggles I see in catalogs
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

The day I need to worry about my transitions will be a happy day. When you place 15th and 16th you tend not to really worry about it. Just make sure you get out on the road with all your stuff.
Bike
  • 1h 40m
  • 24.85 miles
  • 14.91 mile/hr
Comments:

Time is estimated, I had to change my tire!!! GOD THAT SUCKED! I went over a HUGE pothole and when you are 225 pounds...a pothole means you are changing your tire or have a busted crank.

I have NEVER changed a tire before and if NAMSC hadn't hosted a tire changing class I would have DNF'd!! Thanks to NAMSC!!!

Was looking forward to the downward slope on the turnaround and was met with a nice headwind.

Was probably my best effort ever on the bike but the time will show it was the worst because of the flat tire and conditions. I am actually prety happy with my bike.

Avoid the "Grand Canyon" pothole and maybe look into lighter tires. Hopefully I will be about ten pounds lighter next race and this that should help too. I really wanna try aero since the wind really seems to play havoc with broad shouldered types.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 58m
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, in the first mile I thought "Man...this race director really likes hills"! I saw a lot of pretty good athletes walking as I crested the first hill. That was a little intimidating. Managed to really reel in some folks on the run. Passed a lot of great athletes and did not more than 30 seconds during the entire course.

I put in about 400 calories extra on the bike and it was VERY worth it. Had good legs for the entire run, was in a dogfight with another Clydesdale who I was able to loose on a big hill.

As usual, the run was my best event.

Not much, try to trim a few more pounds off, that was as good of a run as I believe I was capable of. Had to make a pitstop at mile 3 (Which was good because I was about to burst and there wasn't a lot of cover on this run) that cost me a minute.

Was hoping to run a sub 55 but with the course it just wasn't in the cards.
Post race
Warm down:

Me and the dogs (Also tired from a busy day of napping, barking at the squirrels and chasing each other) took a MEGA NAP, now sitting at the bar, drinking beer and writing this report.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Well....flat tire totally sucked.

I have had a hard time getting in the water this season. I will work harder to make sure my swim gets better.

Find a way to use the aero position.

Event comments:

I would liked to have not stood around for so long before the swim start.

Last updated: 2007-07-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:00 | 1640 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Estimating time, the only thing worse than a group swim start is crowding around the results so I didn't check.
Suit: No Suit
Course: Well, it was supposed to be down stream and I was hoping for a record time. Time was about average, I haven't trained well in the water this year so it could have been a fast course, I will wait to hear from my mates.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:40:00 | 24.85 miles | 14.91 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: HILLS HILLS HILLS!!! Very hilly course, had some pretty good speed that scared the crap out of me but a lot of work on the hills. I have made a lot of improvements on the bike but it has yet to show in a race because in Phoenix there aren't any hills. BTW, GPS says we did about 26 miles. I remember seing the "Mile 25" sign and thinking "What the...!!"
Road: Potholes  Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:58:00 | 06.21 miles | 09m 20s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Hilly course
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-15 4:48 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon

2007-07-15 6:36 PM
in reply to: #886569

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peachtree City, GA
Subject: RE: Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon

Great race!  I got a lot of wake at the end of the swim too. 

I have one of those swimP3s and I love it.  I am not sure how many songs you can put on there, but it sure does make the time go by easier when doing laps. 

2007-07-16 8:39 AM
in reply to: #886569

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon
Great Race, Congrats. Good job to work through the flat tire and contiue on.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon Rss Feed