General Discussion Race Reports! » Life Time Fitness Triathlon - Olympic Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Life Time Fitness Triathlon - Olympic - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Minneapolis, Minnesota
United States
Life Time Fitness
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 06m 38s
Overall Rank = 662/1247
Age Group = 16-29Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 11/13
Pre-race routine:

Ate bowl of cereal and banana. Drank fluids. Got to location early to get Transition spot. Drove with John.
Event warmup:

Ran for about 7min before had. I did not do this during my last race. Don't think it is necessary. Will not do it next race. Swam about 100 yds prior to swim.
Swim
  • 28m 23s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

I felt very confident and loose before the race. Started far left and was first one out away from pack. Felt I had a strong pace. Sighting was poor. Sun in eyes and green marker bouys were hard to spot. I did not swim straight at any time. I am upset with my time in the swim. I should have been much faster.
What would you do differently?:

I need to train in OWS. I need to build upon my strength. I had a great start but for whatever reason, did not accomplish what I wanted to do.
Transition 1
  • 04m 2s
Comments:

Long run from T1 spot to bike. Left bike in low gear and couldn't get my legs moving fast enough! Slow tranny.

Set bike in highest gear for easiest transition. The guy next to me was too close. I need to spread out my towel more and have more room.
Bike
  • 1h 22m 39s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.04 mile/hr
Comments:

My quads were killing me from the beginning. Not sure why they were lazy! I did not use my legs during swim. Wanted a faster pace (20mph+). But wind was blowing and I only had spurts (maybe 5 times) where I felt really strong. Drank good amount of water and gatorade. Drink stations with water bottle hand-offs were really nice!

Stretch quads out before swim. I am not sure if I should get out of the saddle during hills or just gear up and have high cadence.
Transition 2
  • 03m 11s
Comments:

Came into T2 fast. I liked that. Ran 1/2 of T2 and forgot number belt. Had to run back. Added at least 2min to T2. My race belt also broke and I had to fix it while I was quickly walking out of T2

Re-check race belt to make sure it is good. (which it was while I attached number). Put race belt inside of a shoe so I don't forget it next time!
Run
  • 1h 08m 22s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

Poor. I walked a few times during the run. My pace was slower than I expected. I felt embarrassed walking. My mind wasn't as strong as I wanted it to be. I didn't need to walk. I could have slowed my pace and probably had at least a 10min mile.

Keep moving...no walking unless it is needed at drink station. I need to keep going. If I see my HR go too high, then I can slow to a walk, if it stays lower than 175, I have no excuses!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and stretched out. Drank some fluids. Very sore muscles.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My lack of longer training and adding some speed training. I feel that traveling back to MN with a 2hour time change that hurt my sleep was also a factor. Waking up at 4am Central was like waking up at 2pm Pacific. only had 3 solid hours of sleep.

Event comments:

I have to do it next year to prove i am better than a 3hr olympic in a clydesdale division. I will smash my time.

Last updated: 2007-02-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:23 | 1640 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/13
Overall: 133/1247
Performance: Below average
Suit: Tri Suit and Wet suit
Course: Course was in Lake Nokomis. Giant square time course with 2 right hand bouys. Water was smooth
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:02
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:22:39 | 24.85 miles | 18.04 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/13
Overall: 553/1247
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: Difficult course. Was gradual hills 95% of the course. Wind was bad. Did not expect wind on course. No waves on lake. Course had a lot of rough spots, but good job of missing the potholes!
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:11
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:08:22 | 06.21 miles | 11m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/13
Overall: 671/1247
Performance: Bad
Heart Rate was lower than my perceived effort. Approx 158avg.
Course: Flat course 2 laps around Lake. Paved course, some turn arounds on bridge.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-15 5:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shakopee, MN
Subject: Life Time Fitness Triathlon - Olympic

2007-07-15 6:27 PM
in reply to: #886625

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, MN
Subject: RE: Life Time Fitness Triathlon - Olympic
Hundo, time change must be hard.  I'd love to have your swim time.  I tried for a water bottle handoff on bike but fumbled it.  My bad entirely.  Kick some next year!
2007-07-15 10:01 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Congrats on a fine race. I think the olympic distance is the toughest to master and u did a good job.
2007-07-15 10:39 PM

Expert
Excellent swim. I didn't do Lifetime, but I did a long bike ride on Sat a.m. I knew that the wind had to be a factor for you all.
2007-07-16 6:28 AM

Nice race! I agree that the bike was pretty challenging on Saturday. Sounds like you are pretty motivated to beat this time and I'm sure you will next year. Best of luck!
2007-07-16 11:59 AM

User image

Expert
Congratulations Ryan! Even though you are disappointed in your time I think you did a great job. With it being your first Oly, having to travel, and just moving across the country, you did great. Your swim time was very good and you'll only get better with more OWS practice. Biking and running will improve as well once your schedule settles down and you have more time to train. Next year your going to kill it!

2007-07-16 4:02 PM

User image

Minneapolis, MN
Nice work man. You will dominate that time next year. Swimming into the sun did make it tough to see those buoys. Can't ask for better weather though and a perfect place to race. This was my first. I'll file a full report. How did you get your bike back here?
2007-07-19 6:29 PM

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL
Wow -- you did great! I think it's an incredible mental feat to challenge yourself that way. An Olympic distance tri scares me. Congrats!!!
2007-07-19 6:31 PM
in reply to: #888163

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shakopee, MN
Mark.Osborn - 2007-07-16 2:02 PM

Nice work man. You will dominate that time next year. Swimming into the sun did make it tough to see those buoys. Can't ask for better weather though and a perfect place to race. This was my first. I'll file a full report. How did you get your bike back here?

OZ! you dumba$$ How are ya! I wish we could have found each other after the race! I saw Amy waiting for you. I saw this chick all by herself and asked if she needed a ride! Hahaha!

I shipped it on the plane with me. Free on the way out because they screwed up and $80 on the way back because they didn't screw up!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Life Time Fitness Triathlon - Olympic Rss Feed