Cal Coast Track Club
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 46m 28s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 6, headed over to Starbucks for my iced Americano. Just hung out at home until 7:15, then drove over to the event. Lots more people than I expected! Found the gang (Kelly with Breanna and Ashley, Stitch, Matt and Sherri) right outside the registration area. Matt has been really exercising and it shows -- he's gained a lot of muscle, grown several inches, in fact he looked an awful lot like Stitch! ;-)
Event warmup:

Nothing much, just stretched a little.
Run
  • 46m 28s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 14m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

I didn't do as well as I hoped, but I did beat my previous 5k time by about a minute. (Kelly pointed out that the Saddleback 5k was a net downhill, which might explain why I didn't beat that time by more.)
What would you do differently?:

Focus on *my* pace and not the pace of those around me. Right now, I'm just not very fast, and need to accept that. I may never be that fast, but with more weight-loss I'm sure it will improve.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

In actuality I felt quite fine this morning -- fairly rested, alert, ready to go. So honestly, the only thing I can think of that slowed me down was the fact that this (like all of them) was an early morning race, and I'm just NOT a morning person. Pretty much all my workouts are late in the day -- around 9pm usually. Maybe I should force myself to do more workouts before work. It might help.

Event comments:

What can I say? I think I'm becoming addicted to this whole thing! It's just really fun to take part in an event where everyone is there for the same reason as you -- to improve their health and to challenge themselves. And it means a lot to be doing it with a group of supportive friends.

After the race, we all headed to Denny's for some much-desired hearty breakfast. I'm sure the hashbrowns alone overcame the calories I burned during the race! ;-)

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-06-07 12:00 AM
Running
00:46:28 | 03.11 miles | 14m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
avg 148, max 177
Course: Started right outside the Ford building on Gateway, headed over to Barranca and stayed on that most of the race. Finished back right where the start was. Going up and over the freeway sucked, both out and back.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes