General Discussion Race Reports! » Morden Triathlon - Half Iron Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Morden Triathlon - Half Iron Distance - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Morden, Manitoba
Canada
Winnipeg IronCops
21C / 70F
Overcast
Total Time = 7h 11m 24s
Overall Rank = 74/80
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 24/25
Pre-race routine:

80% humidity
Didn't get any sleep. Motel was noisy, even with earplugs. Got up at 4:30 had a bagel half pb&j half cream cheese half a cup of coffee, some water, an apple. Later had a Clif bar. All my gear was ready. Half glass of OJ, put on my transition bag and cycled the half kilometre to Colert Beach race site from the Motel. Very relaxed, glad to be there. Met up with the 25 or so Regina competitors and family and with Weigh and Pablo. Walked around relaxed, peed about four times. Had clif gel before start of swim with a gup of water.
Event warmup:

Little warm up, walked around alot. Went to the bathroom some more. A little stretching. Had done about 15K of the bike course the night before. Really windy/gusty (night before) parts of the road were terrible - a bottle cage bolt loosened and fell off - had to get a new one in town...fixed it (night before) no stress.
Good spot in transition, body marking okay (Wanda did it!) All good.
Swim
  • 48m 16s
  • 1900 meters
  • 02m 32s / 100 meters
Comments:

Really pleased with swim...Could have pushed to go faster, but was just there to finish comfortably. Breathing was never an issue, except at one point when I had to get a way from a "messy swimmer" who kept groping me. Alternated my stroke length and got stronger with time. A little bit of daydreaming - and that took me off course. Sighting was good, about every 10-15 strokes - no current, so didn't need more than that. Drafting was better in first lap, couldn't find anyone fast enough, or who wasn't going off course to draft behind after that. Rounded buoys very well. Suit was excellent, lots of room, not constricted. "bathing" cap came a little loose during second lap and that was a little distracting - my fault for having so much hair. New goggles were great.
Very happy, just could have been faster - but that is next year country.
What would you do differently?:

Try to draft a little better. Start off a little faster - I lost contact with the bulk of swimmers and never caught up. Work on technique to get faster. Other than than, it was great!
Transition 1
  • 04m 51s
Comments:

Transition felt a little slow, but the time doesn't seem too bad...I'm using my own time, I can't figure out the race results. Took the time to dry off my feet. Unzipped, took goggles and cap off while running up hill from lake to transition. Nutrition was all ready on bike, road shoes (tri shoes broken) went on well, started a little slowly, but got comfortable pretty quickly. Started on Cliff bar as soon as I was comfortable on bike (200 m).

Other than go a little quicker, the transition was flawless. I sat down to put shoes on - Road shoes are tricky, but all else was good. Felt comfortable, confident. Smiled.
Bike
  • 3h 27m 57s
  • 90 kms
  • 25.97 km/hr
Comments:

If I go by cyclocomputer and add in the transition time that I have I'm 14th in my age group and about 35th overall, but that is just voodoo, and I'll never know without chip timing and what "errors" they made on others giving them non-favourable times as well. I'm happy with 55 out of 80, many of whom were the Regina contingent most of whom were Ironguys and gals!

Now my issues...I had to pee 4 times!!!!! on the ride. In hindsight, I should have just peed on myself. But I must have lost a good 10 minutes slowing down, stopping, peeing and then speeding up again...it was unbelievable. I would pass a puddle and need to pee. it became so frustrating after a while...I was very efficient and peed on the side of the road without even getting off the bike (shoes are already black!) but oh! the pee! Oh the humanity...And this wasn't just a trickle...it was major torrents...I drank enough while on the bike - not too much and mixed eLoad with water...It was very humid. But I was sweating lots. I had very little liquid before the ride. Very little liquid after 9 pm. I was up the night before and peed 3 or 4 times...I think I over hydrated and maybe had a little too much coffee the few days before. That's the only way I could explain it...either that, or I was just being a sucky baby who can't hold in his pee!
Apart from that I had a kick-ass ride. Suffered a bit (a lot) on the hills and in the wind, but recovered well and never bonked or lost energy/power as I had done while training in Lumsden/Silton. Good ride...no great ride, give or take a few gallons of pee!

The dirty girl was incredible...she went over the terrible roads without any problems, although at times, The carbon fork sounded like it was shattering...Except for the few breakneck descents, I was in the aerobars for the whole ride, including the climbs. Very comfortable. Neck got a little stiff near the end, but back was fine. Crotch a little sore and numb a couple of times - still not used to wearing tri-shorts and not bike shorts over such a distance. Didn't ride standing as much as I should have, but did every 15 minutes or so stood and pedaled. I was reluctant to because of the wind.
Feet felt good road shoes were perfect and never needed tightening, like my tri shoes would have.
Very challenging course. Very happy with my performance...I know I rode too hard, considering I still had 21.1km to run DOH!

I think I drank enough on the bike ride, but I'm still curious if I could have done better - by maybe taking salt that would have helped me on the run.

Hydrated less in the days before. Taken salt on board during the ride. Get more long distance training...I only had about 4 90k training rides. Do more hills...lots more hills.
Nutrition, was good...I didn't eat all my food, but I didn't need it...maybe I did...Mix between gels (clif, power and enervite) and 2 clif bars.

Save a little bit (a lot) of the effort for the run...I lost at least 30 minutes on the run, because I was exhausted...slowing down a bit, may have helped...it may have not...It is all experience. Great bike ride overall. I'm ecstatic about it.
Transition 2
  • 03m 24s
Comments:

Overall good transition. Legs really didn't work. Sat down to change shoes...Road shoes don't come off easily. Took the time to but astrolube on nipples. Grabbed nutrition stuff and asthma meds. Took off. Good transition, a little wobbly getting off bike, but good...BUT I FORGOT MY GARMIN ON MY BIKE DOH! I had to run blind! Probably just as well, I would have been disgusted and depressed by my run.

I did everything by the book, other than forget my Garmin (GPS-hrm) everything was smooth and comfortable. Maybe not be such a butt-head on the ride and be a little more comfortable after the ride.

Definitely do much much more brick work...I did not do enough this season.
Run
  • 2h 55m
  • 21.1 kms
  • 08m 17s  min/km
Comments:

Worst run of my life. I didn't think I was going to make it after 2 k. As soon as I started to run both quadriceps cramped. I stopped running and then my right hamstring seized...I walked it off, about a minute and started running again.
I wasn't tired...I just had nothing! I could not imagine going the full 21.1! I was beat before I even started. I was demoralized. It didn't help that I could see the first group doubling back and passing me after their first loop. I had nothing in the tanks...I walked. I ran. I shuffled. I speedwalked, I ran. etc. You get the picture.

I just put one foot in front of the other. Walked fast, but lots, took most of the gels I had...I resigned myself after about 6 or 7 k that I would take however long I would have to and I wouldn't give up. One big problem was that I had no idea what the distance was...there were markers on the cement, but they were not obvious. So up to the first turnaround point, I had no idea how far, or how little I had gone. Curse you Garmin!
On the second lap I was running mostly on fumes. I had resolved my cramping issue, but I had nothing really to push anyway. I did lots of speed walking. I decided to enjoy myself. I took in the scenery. Did that really say "dead horse creek" Saw some very nice cardinal-like birds. Mused how long it would take for someone to find me if I got beaned by a golf ball...Smiled, but laughed on the inside when aid station people said "you're doing great!" Thanked all the volunteers - especially the nice woman with the sun hat and the hose who was listening to stravinsky, delibes, beethoven and maybe scriabin? I passed her 4 times...she was good with that hose...Is it politiacally correct to get wet from a much older woman...yeah, my mind wandered lots...I stopped for a pee - just one by the golf course...and some fat golfer who was peeing with one hand and holding his beer with the other said "I bet that feels better". Peed only once...hmmmm, methinks hydration issues?

Walked about 1k with one woman, who was sick she had to duck into a restaurant just before I met up with her and she also threw up a few times. When I came up to her, she was farting like there was no tomorrow. NOT A SINGLE TOILET ON THE RUN COURSE EXCEPT AT START FINISH!!!!!
I cheered her up a bit...I was happy for the company...we parted ways about 500 m to the finish and I finished strong, happy and relieved...I made it...The run kicked my ass and I kicked back dammit...I finished!

Had a nice, painful massage afterwards. Worst run of my life...Best experience of my life...the experience I got there is priceless.

Not be a butthead on the run. Train more long distance runs.. I haven't had anything more than 17 k since RPS in April!!!! More salt...A lot more salt...work through the pain a little more. There wasn't a lot I could do, my legs were just not working, but I could have fought back a little more and not be so lazy...maybe...Sorry John... I gave it all I had...If I had more, I would have. I have to learn how to dig deeper and find what else I have in me. I'm sure there was something in there!
Post race
Warm down:

Massage...socialized. 20 minutes stretching. Smiled a lot. Smiled even more. Had a veggie burger. Smiled some more.Should have jumped in the lake. I was soaked from getting hozed down so many times. Walked the bike and gear back to hotel. had an ice bath at the motel. Ate lots and lots at the Bar after having a nap. Had one spicy caesar. Went to sleep around 11 Morden time (10 Regina time). Did I mention I smiled a lot.

Posed for lots of "candid" finish line pictures...I'll post once I get them...I felt like a goof, but I was having fun.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training...first ever Half? lack of salt?...overdoing the bike...I need to play the mental game a little better. Drop more weight, will help. Too many hills and too much wind...lol.

Experience was my biggest limiter...No blame, no fault...I'm ecstatic about my race.

Event comments:

Medal in the shape of a corn cob and an apple (cornman/appleman triathlon) looks like a penis...someone pointed this out to me. I didn't think it up all by myself.

Worst run of my life...I loved this race (just after I finished) Reg Beach had a better performance, but I learned so much more on this race, about my abilities, my limits and how I need to work on my mental game.

Today I'm a man....well half a man...A cornman to be exact...wanna see my husk!

Last updated: 2007-02-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:48:16 | 1900 meters | 02m 32s / 100meters
Age Group: 23/25
Overall: 179/80
Performance: Good
Very comfortable in water. Sighting was great, went off course slightly a few times - not major - slowed down a little on second lap to pee (again) Second lap was much faster than first (Wanda has numbers, I'll get later) - probably 2:10 pace. Finished very strong, very happy. A little disoriented - looking (through transition - uphill run to bikes.
Suit: ATAC
Course: Man those Buoys were far away! Good course, no hassles, so see monsters (sign advertising Morden on Highway had a huge sea dinosaur on it!)
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 12F / -11C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:51
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:27:57 | 90 kms | 25.97 km/hr
Age Group: 18/25
Overall: 55/80
My cyclocomputer's time is 3:18.27 with an average speed 27.4. I'm not sure about the race result...even if they measured the transition in there, there are still more than 5 minutes unaccounted for...it wasn't chip timing, it was "velcro band" timing...No worries...I was only really racing myself. Interesting to note that one of the hills had an 18% grade - according to my Garmin and a max elevation of 500 m up from 345 m(more on the Garmin later) Going down that hill in textbook tuck - hands on basebar, head ahead of aerobottle, I hit 75.7 k/hr, before I decided I should slow down a little - course was open to traffic. Going up that hill (valley) I think I buried the needle at 11 k/hr..Didn't "save a gear in reserve" just went to the easiest gear and tried to make it...at one point - with a head wind/cross wind of at least 10 to 15 k...I didn't think I would make it, but I jest kept at it, remembered to smile and I did...This was the beginning of my undoing! HR hovered between 133 and 146 - which shows how hard I was pushing for the whole ride...I'm usually at about 120-130 on the flats.
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: CRAP and Hilly! I'll never again complain about Saskatchewan roads. I wrote about my bottle cage bolt falling off! Most of the road (highway) had gravel/dirt shoulder, but the road itself was for the most part clean. The road surface in places (long places) was jarring, with perpendicular to the course cracks every 5-15 metres. Meaning that my aerobottle spilled it's contents more than once (just water! No sticky stuff like on John at IceBreaker hee hee) there were ejected bike bottles all over the place..a couple of pumps and an assortment of other stuff that I'm sure had just fallen off people's bikes. OK. the Road Stank. There was wind that was not only hard, it was demoralizing...It never ended (except with 20 k to go, then it became a tailwind Yeah!). Okay...Bad road and windy...nuff said about that. The course was genuinely challenging...It was a real test of endurance and technique and pacing and I had to draw into all my skills and reserves to get through it in the strong way that was in my goals. Lots of rolling hills and a couple of stupidly high climbs that I was warned about, but was still surprised when I got to them. Shit...lots of work! The first 30 K or so is steady uphill (in the wind) the middle 20 was rollers and those two shit for brains climbs and descents. the last 25-30 was steady descent with tail wind Yahoo...This was my demise. I went like a bat out of hell averaging 37 k/hr...No wonder I had nothing left in the legs for the run...but I did what I said I would do...Could course...Crappy , really crappy road, but good course.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 83
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:24
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:55:00 | 21.1 kms | 08m 17s  min/km
Age Group: 24/25
Overall: 183/80
Performance: Bad
As hilly as was the bike ride, there were steeper hills on the run. Through a golf course with two balls landing a little too close to comfort. Very scenic run otherwise. Two 10k laps, no hr data...DOH!
Course: One stupid hill that most racers walked up and down, apart from that a really well laid out course. Very impressed with the community. Rest stations every 1.5 or so K! Lots of water, gatorade, ICE! gels, pretzels oranges and friendly townfolk with hoses...and two heavy metal/rap chicks who insisted on pointing the hose at my feet - twice! Course was good and I would have enjoyed it a lot more if I wasn't so dead beat. It wound in and out of the town, much prettier than any town I've ever seen in Regina. Rest stop people were very friendly.. I liked the Pirate stop and the gals in the hula skirts and coconuts. Some good shade, but lots of sun (hot) parts. 3 k or so of the hill (two loops) was all uphill, then followed by downhill - through the residential part. Still, nicely laid out course. But because I had no GPS I was running (walking really!!!) blind...that made me a little uncomfortable.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %N/A
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-15 7:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs
Subject: Morden Triathlon - Half Iron Distance

2007-07-15 8:01 PM
in reply to: #886746

User image

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs
Subject: RE: Morden Triathlon - Half Iron Distance
Nice race bonehead! Ease up on the bike next time!
2007-07-15 9:35 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Nice work on finishing your first HIM!

A new distance and it's tough.

Wow...low electrolytes/salts can be really hard. I used to get cramping in most Oly runs now I take lots more salt and the problem is solved..thankfully!

It takes guts to push on when you don't feel well. No porta potties is tough...glad that women found a kind restaruant to visit. 

Congrats on your first HIM!

Half a man...ice bath...lots of smiling all very cool stuff~ 

2007-07-16 12:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Sask.

Congratulations half-iron-distance-race-man, you did great.  I'm glad you had an awesome experience, you're right about the knowledge you gained being priceless, always remember that.
P.S. Post a picture of your finishers metal. (giggle!!!)

2007-07-16 12:21 AM
in reply to: #886964

User image

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs

I've already got a photocopy of it...no wait that's the other thing. I'll scan the medal when I get a chance.

Thanks for your confidence. 

2007-07-16 12:22 AM
in reply to: #886868

User image

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs
KathyG - 2007-07-15 8:35 PM

Nice work on finishing your first HIM!

A new distance and it's tough.

Wow...low electrolytes/salts can be really hard. I used to get cramping in most Oly runs now I take lots more salt and the problem is solved..thankfully!

It takes guts to push on when you don't feel well. No porta potties is tough...glad that women found a kind restaruant to visit.

Congrats on your first HIM!

Half a man...ice bath...lots of smiling all very cool stuff~

Thanks for your kind words! 

2007-07-16 12:34 AM

User image

Congratulations on finishing your first HIM!!

Great race report - full of good learning opportunities for all of us.

Don't be too hard on yourself about the run - the most important thing is that you were able to keep smiling. There are a lot of mental imagery things you can incorporate from this experience to make your next races better than ever.

Great job!
2007-07-16 6:00 AM

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

Nice race AND you had fun

I learned  a lot in my first HIM too.

2007-07-16 6:44 AM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

Congratulations!  You did it!!  Sounds like you had fun, pushed yourself and learned a thing or two along the way... if in each race we can accomplish these three things then truly we have earned a penis shaped medal been successful.

2007-07-16 8:53 AM
in reply to: #887008

User image

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs
tripletmom01 - 2007-07-16 5:00 AM

Nice race AND you had fun

I learned a lot in my first HIM too.

One day I'll get serious....okay. that's enough.

Thanks for your comments. 

2007-07-16 8:55 AM
in reply to: #887029

User image

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs
milaminute - 2007-07-16 5:44 AM

Congratulations! You did it!! Sounds like you had fun, pushed yourself and learned a thing or two along the way... if in each race we can accomplish these three things then truly we have earned a penis shaped medal been successful.

It's like track day at school, christmas and puberty all at once. I even got a tshirt!

Have you been reading a motivational pamphlet? I can tell.  

2007-07-16 12:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Congrat my friend. I think we both had the same race, lack of salt and the run kicked our butts.

Don't worry the Tri Manitoba timing system is not clear. Your swim time is accurate and your run time is accurate but your bike time includes both transitions. I think the intent there is that if you have computer on your bike you can substract the time and figure out your transition times. We need to move to a chip system

Great work!!!
2007-07-18 8:00 AM
in reply to: #886751

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-07-18 3:52 PM
in reply to: #890757

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs
Bopper - 2007-07-18 7:00 AM

DANG... a penis shaped medal.... why didn't they advertise that... bet they would have had more racers. LOL

GREAT job friend... I'm not sure I would have done as well as you. I am pretty sure I would have done EXACTLY the same thing as you... go to hard on the bike and have nothing left for the run.

Loved the water temperature you put down in your race report... were you really swimming in ICE!!!... wouldn't that make it a duathlon?... roflmao

Still a triathlon...just be skating instead of swimming!!! I think I meant to put it in C and it came out in F.  Oh well, I'll leave it like that for dramatic effect. Thanks for your comments! 

2007-07-18 4:05 PM

Expert
Nice work. I'm thinking of coming up from Minnesota next summer to do this one. Your description of the course surprised me... I thought it would be flatter.

Nice job.
2007-07-18 5:10 PM
in reply to: #891802

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs

Hazelmn - 2007-07-18 3:05 PM Nice work. I'm thinking of coming up from Minnesota next summer to do this one. Your description of the course surprised me... I thought it would be flatter. Nice job.

Thanks!

There's nothing flat about this course...although it looks flat...go figure...The swim part is kinda flat, I guess, but you have to run uphill to get to T1.

The resident expert, or at least the guy that convinced to try this is bter pablo gazebo. he's done the course - on race and in training lots of times. Find him through my blog.

It would be great to have you come on up! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Morden Triathlon - Half Iron Distance Rss Feed