Midwest Sports Events
76F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 19m 27s
Overall Rank = 168/1451
Age Group = 35 - 39
Age Group Rank = 29/144
Pre-race routine:

I got up at 4:30am, ate my oatmeal and OJ, and was out the door by 5. I purposely went Old School for my fire-up tuneage for the drive to the race: Danzig I, and specifically "The Hunter". My mission for the day was going to be pick out certain people and hunt them down one by one, so the tune fit. By the end of the day, I would reach my bag limit :) Arriving early gave me plenty of time to get set up, get bodymarked and get my race chip plus get in the water for a warm-up by 6:30am.
Event warmup:

Because I was in Wave 21 and they didn't shoo us out of the water, I had the chance to get a lot of warm-up yards in, which really helped me get in the groove for the race. However, because of the early morning cool temperatures, I was also shivering cold by the time it was my turn to go. I also did some light stretching in the water to loosen up the hip flexors.
Swim
  • 07m 34s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

All in all this was a solid swim for me, especially since I did it sans wetsuit. The only way I could have improved my time much would have been to swim over people instead of around them-- and I had plenty of opportunity to do that. There were a ton of human buoys out there, especially around the turn buoy. In fact, the lifeguards had to fish out a ton of people even before the turn-- guess some folks didn't take a 1/4-mile swim too seriously. My navigation was right on even into the bright sunshine on the return, and my stroke waqs strong throughout. Also, the new goggles worked great.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. I guess if I really wanted a great swim time, I'd wear my wetsuit, but I just didn't think it was worth the tradeoff in transition.
Transition 1
  • 02m 16s
Comments:

Yes, my transition times kind of blew. But that had more to do with my racking placement within the large transition area than it did with me dragging azz. The one thing that added time in T1 was putting on my socks, which I normally wouldn't do for a sprint. However, I didn't want to risk getting any blisters with my HIM coming up next weekend.

Not wear socks. Oh, and register for the race earlier so I get a better rack placement.
Bike
  • 45m 23s
  • 16.4 miles
  • 21.68 mile/hr
Comments:

Hey, what do you know? I really popped off a decent ride here, and I'm quite happy with my rank in my age group-- that's a huge improvement over previous races and last year. I was just flying past the road clutter out there and I recall only being passed by two riders. There's no question I've built up a better engine-- now I'm looking forward to getting a little faster chasis beneath it :) I can't wait for my new Guru to get here!

Nothing. This was as good a ride as I can deliver right now on my present road bike without peaking for this race and without killing myself for the run.

Well, maybe one thing. Because of the confusing signs and marking, I dismounted a little earlier than I had to, which probably cost me about 7-8 seconds on my bike time. But I don't fault myself for that.
Transition 2
  • 01m 28s
Comments:

Again, the killer here was my racking placement in transition, which required running with my bike to the complete opposite end of the transition area from the run out, then running all the way back. Because the waves were not done by age group, but rather when you signed up, this did not impact everyone equally. That sucked. Also, the premature ejaculation from my bike cost me a few seconds.

Register earlier.
Run
  • 22m 45s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

For me, this run time was a huuuuuuuuuuuge improvement. Dang, according to the AG rankings, the run was my strongest sport this race. That's mindblowing for a guy who always used to build up time on the bike, then give it all away on the run. In keeping with my theme song for the day, "The Hunter" I picked out a couple of guys I wanted to hunt down on the run coming out of transition. One guy was about 6'6". lean as a greyhound, and went bounding off like a deer out of transition. He was a young buck, too, and I wanted to put the smackdown on him bad. Well, he goes tearing off out of sight like he's some kind of Kenyon, but I just maintined my solid pace, even up the Spring Street hill. I make the turn up toward the highschool and who do I see? Yep, big boy can't run the hills. A quarter mile later and he's mine. I tried hard not to grin as I passed his skinny azz.

As Glenn Danzig was singing in my head, "Ain't no use to run, boy. Ain't no use to hide. I've got you in the sights of my burning desirrrrrrrrrre."

After that, i made a hard charge to the new finish line with a strong kick that really got the crowd pumped. I have never felt so strong during the run portion of a race before-- what a great confidence builder for Racine!

If it was my 'A" race. I may have pushed a little harder, earlier. But I didn't want to totally cash myself with my big race yet to come.
Post race
Warm down:

I drank some water and immediately began looking for Terri and the boys. I also spotted jmwebs, so we grabbed some grub and sat down with Jim's buddy Kyle to eat. Mostly we just rejoiced in the sunshine and cool temps of a perfect freakin' day for a race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The fact that I didn't taper basically at all for this race, and that my 'A' race, a HIM, is next weekend.

Event comments:

If I had one suggestion for this race log, it would be a separate Nutrition section, as mine seems to vary from race to race.

For this race, I took a bit of a risk and used my new InfinIT custom blend that I ordered last week and only trained with twice before. It's the drink that will be served at my HIM next week, so I thought I'd give it a whirl. i'm totally sold on it now and will switch from Accelerade. I can dial up (or in my case down) the flavor and tailor the electrolytes and nutrition to my needs. i thought it worked great. I also had one 150-cal e-Gel on the bike. I drank nothing on the run because I felt fine and didn't want to waste a second to grab a drink. It was the right decision.

In sum, this was my best Sprint distance race ever. I have never before felt so consistently strong throughout, particularly on the run. That was a tremendous and exhilarating feeling, especially to be passing other runners with ease compared to where I was two years ago. I am sooooo ready for Racine. I just hope the weather (and particularly the winds) are just what it was like today.

As always, it was great seeing jmwebs. I also ran into another guy in a donkey jersey who said he just borrowed it from his brother-in-law? What's up with that? I thought membership was a privilege? Great day, great race... now bring on the big one!

Last updated: 2007-07-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:34 | 440 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 41/144
Overall: 0/1451
Performance: Good
Suit: 2XU tri suit
Course: They changed it to a simple out and back into the middle of the lake from the old course which went parallel to the shore. With the exception of a big bunch-up at the far buoy, it really didn't make much difference to me.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:16
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:45:23 | 16.4 miles | 21.68 mile/hr
Age Group: 30/144
Wind: Little
Course: The course is a hilly, challenging loop around Pewaukee Lake and the surrounding area. It also features a very windy section along the interstate and several stiff climbs.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:28
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:45 | 03.11 miles | 07m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 28/144
Course: This is a hilly course that's basically all uphill the first half, all downhill the second half. At about .7 miles in, there's a nasty buttkicking climb up Spring Street and even some of the downhills suck your legs because they're so steep you have to brake a little.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-15 9:06 PM

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Subject: Pewaukee Triathlon

2007-07-16 6:05 AM
in reply to: #886826

User image

Master
West Bend, WI
Subject: RE: Pewaukee Triathlon

Hey- Nice job out there!!

See you at Racine

2007-07-16 7:29 AM

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI

GREAT job!!!  Looks like you've got it all figured out at JUUUST the right time!  Impressive times in all 3!

2007-07-16 8:41 AM

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL

Congrats on a great race!  We gotta get you in some donkey gear too ya know.  Rest up for this weekend and take it easy now, m'kay?

2007-07-16 12:33 PM

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
Killer race my friend! Pretty good considering that it was just a warm-up for next week. The guy in the jersey was Firstnet911's brother-in-law. He was not a donkey, but was very donkey-like. He had recently been hit by a car and not been able to run until like last week, but he was still lining up.

Good luck with your taper and go kick so azz next week, while humming Danzig!
2007-07-16 12:45 PM

User image

Expert
Milwaukee, WI
Great race! Sorry we didn't get to meet. Good luck next weekend!

2007-07-16 2:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Sullivan, WI
looks like a solid performance throughout.....good luck next weekend
2007-07-16 6:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Charlotte NC
haha our races look just about identical! nice race and good luck next weekend!!
2007-07-16 7:42 PM

User image

Master
Minnesota
Wow - way to go on the race! I love your avatar
2007-07-16 10:58 PM

User image

Expert
Wind Lake WI
Smoking race. My BIL borrowed the donkey gear for his first race. Good luck at Racine.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pewaukee Triathlon Rss Feed