Annandale, Minnesota
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 32m 43s
Overall Rank = 438/495
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 23/32
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4AM (yikes!), got dressed, ate a hard-boiled egg & drank some water. Got my gear and the kids loaded in the truck and left home about 4:45. Ate some shredded wheat & a banana, drank more water. Drove the first part of the bike course so I could see “the only real hill” with my own eyes. Arrived in downtown Annandale about 6:15.
Event warmup:

Checked in, set up my transition area, and got the kids situated. Chatted with fellow Bters, met a friend and took a short warm-up ride. Ate my traditional ½ PBJ before heading to the swim start area.
Swim
  • 19m 12s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 11s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was the best OWS I have had in a race. I felt really relaxed but focused. I managed to draft a bit, which was new. I kind of liked itJ. There was a lot of jostling for position at the start and for the first time, I was in the thick of it. The jostling continued as the heat behind us caught up with a lot of aggressive swimmers.
What would you do differently?:

Keep swimming distance, keep working on technique, be confident! (And really learn to draft!)
Transition 1
  • 03m 32s
Comments:

The transition area for this race feels like it’s a mile long and my transition times reflect that! I guess I’d better keep practicing these!

Learn to do a moving mount (I won't say flying yet).
Bike
  • 1h 09m 13s
  • 21 miles
  • 18.20 mile/hr
Comments:

This was not my fastest ever bike leg, but overall I think it’s the smartest I have ever had. There were hills – and more than that one! – and I feel like I rode them well. I was also really happy with my cornering & passing. Got into a rhythm early and I rode a steady pace. I really cannot complain with an 18.2 average on that course – and I had a lot of fun out there with my new bike! (I hit one downhill at 34.2. THAT was fun!)

Really, I wouldn’t change much. I have some set-up work to do with my bike to get her right where I need her. My knees are a little sore tonight and that’s new, which tells me I’m not in quite the right position.
Transition 2
  • 02m 49s
Comments:

Again, the t-area that went on forever. Legs were a little wobbly right off the bike, but I ran it in and ran all the way out to start the run. (My one issue with this race is that those of us with t-spots way at the end have a lot longer to travel from bike to run (both directions) than those who are near the exit. There is no accounting made for this in time, and while it really doesn’t matter for me in the grand scheme, it’s kind of interesting to note that the elites had T2 times of under 30 seconds and I could not have possibly made it to my rack in under 30 seconds, much less into my shoes and back out.)
Run
  • 57m 58s
  • 5.3 miles
  • 10m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

Ah, the run. No stomach cramps this year, but oddly, my right quad cramped up about ½ mile into the run. I alternated running & walking for the entire 5.3 miles and kept working on the cramp and it seemed to help. My time was 6 minutes faster than last years, so that’s a plus. And I actually enjoyed myself out there.

More longer runs off longer bikes…keep working on running. Believe it or not, all my running time IS paying off…but it's where my position drops off in the overall rankings.
Post race
Warm down:

Saw Kelly right after I finished & we stood in the mist showers for a minute. Steve found me and we chatted while I got food & drink. Then I found my wonderful children (who got to wait out this race without Dad and were amazing!),packed up my gear, and then went to the awards ceremony.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I can honestly say this is the most fun I have ever had racing, including the run. I didn’t place as high as I have in some other races, but that’s so much a matter of who shows up that day. I feel really good about my swim & bike legs and okay about the run. I need to do more distance all the way around, but right now, I am happy! And I'll be swimming & running a lot in the next week!

Event comments:

This race is so well organized and has such a friendly feel to it, even with 1300 racers. It draws a lot of talent and people keep coming back year after year. I will keep doing it!

Last updated: 2007-07-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:12 | 880 yards | 02m 11s / 100yards
Age Group: 23/32
Overall: 383/495
Performance: Good
Suit: Nineteen full suit
Course: clockwise rectangle
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:32
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:09:13 | 21 miles | 18.20 mile/hr
Age Group: 20/32
Overall: 397/495
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Loop with some RATHER large hills, despite what some of my friends would say:).
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:49
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:57:58 | 05.3 miles | 10m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 32/32
Overall: 470/495
Performance: Average
Course: Loop around the lake with some mild ups & down. Almost NO shade out there, but a ton of volunteers with water and iced sponges.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-07-15 9:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Twin Cities, MN
Subject: Heart of the Lakes Triathlon

2007-07-16 6:15 AM
in reply to: #886860

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Heart of the Lakes Triathlon
Great report Kris.  This really was a fun event.  Kelly and I were talking about it on the way home how much we liked it.  By far this is my favorite venue yet.  Nice job knocking time off of last years race.  Very nice looking bike, I'm sure you will have a good time getting use to each other.
2007-07-16 6:43 AM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Great job.  I think everyone really enjoys this race.
2007-07-16 7:10 AM

User image

Expert
Minnesota
Nice report.

Glad to see that you are so positive. With the reports that I have heard about this race, I might have to sign up for this one someday.
2007-07-16 7:11 AM

User image

Expert
Delano, MN
You should be proud of this race!  You did great!  Coming back after last years issues is just what the doctor ordered (I wasn't wrong was I )   Keep up the good work and the great attitude!
2007-07-16 8:17 AM

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
Great job, I am glad to hear that you did not have any stomach cramps this year and were able to enjoy yourself!! 

2007-07-16 3:01 PM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member

Great race report, Kris! And congratulations on a nice race! You raced very smart out there!  

My only issue with the race was the same as yours. For me the transition thing hardly makes a difference since I'm ceratainly not in hardware contention, but it is unfair to those in the back that might be in contention for the overall finisher spots.

Good to see you and the kids again, as always. You forgot to include Anne's great line in your report, though: "Mom, what took you so long?" LOL Classic.

2007-07-16 3:15 PM

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN

Congrats on a great race, and especially on feeling relaxed YET focused on the swim...(must be the hard-boiled eggs...my pre-race food of choice )...

Sounds like you had fun...that's what it's all about, isn't it...

New bike...can't wait to see the new Felt...

Edited by sparco 2007-07-16 3:15 PM
2007-07-16 7:52 PM

User image

Master
Minnesota
Wow! Wow! Wow! Way to go on the swim! Looks like you had a great day overall, even with the longer distance Keep training Kris!
2007-07-17 12:12 AM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Way to enjoy yourself out there.  A fun and upbeat recap!!! 
2007-07-17 9:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Minnesota
Hi,

I'm pretty sure that we shared a rack together at this race. I was the one with the blue Felt bike and the one who asked you about your kids (I have four). I was so impressed with how good they appeared to be. It gave me courage to bring my own children to the race to watch on their own.

Anyway, great job on the race. It was a fun day -- perfect weather, wonderful volunteers, and a nice course (the hills weren't THAT bad, were they?)

Melissa

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Heart of the Lakes Triathlon Rss Feed