General Discussion Race Reports! » Life Time Fitness Triathlon - Olympic Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Life Time Fitness Triathlon - Olympic - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Minneapolis, Minnesota
United States
Life Time Fitness
Total Time = 3h 07m 23s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Olympic 20-24
Age Group Rank = 30/35
Pre-race routine:

Had everything packed and checklists created the night before. Woke up at 5 AM and was in the car by 5:20. Stayed at my sister's place as she lives in St. Paul. It was roughly a 20 minute drive however the traffic becomes terrible roughly a mile or so from the race site. I recommend that you get dropped off if possible, which saved me a load of time.
Event warmup:

Transition area closes at 6:30 so I had over an hour before my projected 7:45 wave start. Got in the water for a 150M swim 20 minutes prior to wave start. This helped get me loose and got the energy pumping.
Swim
  • 33m 49s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 15s / 100 meters
Comments:

First ever OWS so I really didn't know what to expect. I feel like I exerted myself a little bit more than I wanted to, however I clearly had enough energy left to handle the rest of the race.

What would you do differently?:

Being my first OWS, my sighting has some serious work needed. I wasn't as bad as I thought, however I know there are some improvements to be made. I'd give my self a pretty decent grade for a first OWS ever for someone with no endurance sports background.

Practice more OWS.
Transition 1
  • 03m 37s
Comments:

Short run up the beach and into the huge T-area. It took some time to make my way to my bike, but I feel that my time is pretty solid given the conditions. No bike shoes yet so I laced up my run shoes and started heading towards the bike out. Jumped on and headed on the course.

Nothing I can think of.
Bike
  • 1h 26m 25s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 17.25 mile/hr
Comments:

Pushed myself pretty hard but still had enough left for the run. I mashed a little too hard on the first few hills and improved my approach mid-way through. I feel as though I read the conditions well and took advantage when the situation allowed for speed. Cruising past a huge crowd before entering T-2 was unbelievable and made the experience amazing.

I think I need to improve my leg strength and all-around biking ability. 17MPH isn't bad, but it's not very strong. Again, this was my first olympic so I"m using it as a baseline. My goal is to improve and I'm pretty happy with my first performance
Transition 2
  • 01m 47s
Comments:

The two bikes next to me in the T-area were close together which caused some difficulty racking the bike. Waved to my family who was outside the T-area and got running.

Didn't realize I had to run to the left corner of the T-area for run out, costed me 15 secs or so.
Run
  • 1h 01m 43s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

Got into a good pace for the first loop and kept thinking to myself that I had plenty left in the tank. The HR was higher than it had been in my training, however I felt comfortable with my pace. As is my custom, finished the race at an all-out sprint.

Running past a huge crowd to the finish line was a very cool moment.

I'm not very fast and when I look at my times I feel as though the run is where I am the lowest among my age group. This can be improved through more frequency. I look forward to becoming a better runner through my training.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around the amazing food area and grabbed a bunch of snacks. Thanked the family for being awesome and just took in the environment. There were a ton of people surrounding the area and it was a really cool experience.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think I found a baseline for future performance. I only train twice-per week in each discipline, and I feel that I can improve my upping the frequency and having a solid goal. I realized that I really like this distance as it is challenging, yet manageable and requires less of a time commitment than a 1/2 ironman which was my future goal distance. I"m going to spend some time thinking about my future goals, as I am leaning towards improving on the olympic course over the next year or so. We'll see..

Event comments:

Great race. Challenging course, great environment, great volunteers, and great extras such as food and drinks, etc. I recommend it to anyone who is willing to pay the $125, and I think it's the type of race that can really hook someone on tri's.

Last updated: 2007-03-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:49 | 1500 meters | 02m 15s / 100meters
Age Group: 23/35
Overall: 506/
Performance: Average
Did not wear HRM during swim.
Suit:
Course: Two turns out on Lake Nokomis.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:37
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:26:25 | 24.85 miles | 17.25 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/35
Overall: 0/
HR started out in the 160s and moved into the low 150s for a majority of the ride. I did get it down into the low 140s for a while as well.
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: I felt that the bike course was pretty challenging. The reason I give this grade is that it gave you a little bit of everything. There were climbs and descents, headwinds and tailwinds. I took advantage when the wind was at my back or when I headed downhill.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:47
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:01:43 | 06.21 miles | 09m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 32/35
Overall: 817/
Heart rate stayed in the 160s for the first 75%. The last 25% climbed into the 170s and I finished the run at an all out sprint. Need to have a better understanding of my zones.
Course: Two loops around Lake Nokomis.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-07-15 9:38 PM

Subject: Life Time Fitness Triathlon - Olympic

2007-07-15 10:29 PM
in reply to: #886873

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, MN
Subject: RE: Life Time Fitness Triathlon - Olympic
Good job on 1st Oly, I agree it is a good distance, long enough to be challenging, short enough to be a race.  Keep up the training and times will improve.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Life Time Fitness Triathlon - Olympic Rss Feed