United States
RunwithPaula.com
Overcast
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5, shower, have english muffin with PB and loaded the car. I was going to be meeting ell-in-or after the race for a short ride, so loaded up the bike too. Headed out the door at 6 am for the 40 minute drive. I didn't want a repeat of Helvetia where I was barely making it to the start. I got there in plenty of time. I like to be early.
Event warmup:

Not much. Some stretching, hit the Honey Buckets about 3 times (too much coffee) and waited for the horn.
Run
  • 00m
  • 0 kms
  •  min/km
Comments:

I over estimated how cool it would be so I wore a long sleeved wicking shirt. I figured a 7:30 start it would be a little chilly. It was not at all, and quite humid. I was too warm. I started near the back towards what I thought would be my pace group, but now, wish I had started a little more forward. It was almost impossible to pass people once on the trail. Some areas it was almost impossible to run at all, and it took awhile for the pack to stretch out. Once on the trail, the hills were pretty tough, but the downhills made for a nice reprieve. The time went so fast and before I knew it, I was at the aid station (mile 3.5) The aid station was a little frustrating. There weren't any cups out so everyone was standing in line for their cup. I thought about bagging it but I was thirsty. I wasn't going to set a PB, so what was an extra 30-40 seconds? No biggie. Got my drink and went on my merry way. The finish seemed to go on forever because I didn't realize we were going to be finishing inside the zoo, let alone all the way to the end. But, it was all down hill, and all good!
What would you do differently?:

Start a little more front of the middle. Be more aggressive passing on the trail.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around the exhibits, got some water, nuun hydration drink, jamba juice smoothie, stretched, then headed out.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not positioning myself more forward. More trail running and hills?

Event comments:

Fun race. I plan to do it again next year. I love trail running!

Last updated: 2007-07-08 12:00 AM
Running
00:00:00 | 00 kms |  min/km
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: This was a challenging (okay, it was hard) course that started on wide road that quickly bottle-necked to a narrow, one-butt wide trail. Tough for passing, especially when people were trying to run side-by-side. Once into the trail it was dense, cool forest in Portland's Forest Park. Beautiful run, but you have to be wary of the tree roots sticking up ready to claim the sleepy runners. Saw several women trip and fall. The hills were killer. They weren't the long gradual inclines of Helvetia. These were kick-butt hills that were steep with gravel in some areas. There was one aid station at the 3.5 mile mark. The finish was inside the Oregon Zoo. Great downhill for a fast finish.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes