General Discussion Race Reports! » Camp Pendleton International Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Camp Pendleton International Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Camp Pendleton, California
United States
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 46m 1s
Overall Rank = 285/657
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 50/77
Pre-race routine:

Woke up and got dressed. Ate 2 scrambled eggs, 1 piece of wheat toast with sunflower seed butter and had a glass of boysenberry pomegranite juice. Mixed my drinks and drank a cytomax on the way down to the event.

Got my chip and shirt and then went and grabbed an end spot in transition. I was next to the biggest talker of the day. The guy was so loud and would stop talking about all the training and races and his power meter and this and that....it was crazy. I wandered off to get some piece and quiet. I scoped out the in and outs of transition and studied the map a little bit to make sure I knew where I was going.
Event warmup:

Walked from transition to the beach and checked out the buoys and layout of the swim. I ended up bumping into a guy I worked with years ago that was big into duathlons. Apparently he now races Tri's and ended up 4th in AG, he's 50.

Waded around in the water and waited for the start....not much.
Swim
  • 31m 5s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 04s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was very calm before the swim. In the past I haven't had the best times during the swim and was really hoping that this event would be different. I watched the first three waves go out and then got in the water and started wading out. There were a few guys that were yelling and making jokes and it seemed to loosen quite a few people up.
I had decided pretty quickly that I wasn't going to be jockeying for position at the front as people were already fighting for position. I thought that I would play it easy and let them work it out and I'd work to pass them later. I also wanted to start out easy and get into a good pace. When it was out turn to start I almost immediately ran into the all of the people and spent the next few hundred yards waiting and trying to get around all of the slower people at the front. After the first buoy things evened out and I was able to find some open space. From the first buoy to the second buoy was at least 1/2 of the swim so it was just dead straight and long. For whatever reason I could not swim in a straight line. I've never had that problem before. I could see exactly where I wanted to go, so my sighting was good, but when I would stroke I'd pop up a few strokes later and pointed way off. After a while I almost started laughing it was so ridiculous. After I finally rounded the second buoy I knew I didn't have to much more to do so I started digging in and ended up passing quite a few people from the waves in front of me. That's always a good feeling.
When I finally hit the beach I hit my watch and it was 27:53. My time above includes the 3:12 it took me to run down the beach, up through the houses down the parking lot and into transition. Good times.
What would you do differently?:

Trust my ability to swim and get in the front at the beginning. Learn how to swim in a straight line....duh.
Transition 1
  • 02m 45s
Comments:

Transition time are lumped in with the bike time but by the Power of Greyskull, I mean Timex, I will go ahead and remove them....

I took a bit longer in transition then I wanted but overall it was fine. I was coated in sand and wanted to wear socks so I spent time cleaning my feet and then drying them to get everything on. I grabbed my gels and ran out the gate!

Nothing
Bike
  • 1h 15m 35s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.73 mile/hr
Comments:

I mounted my bike quickly and got up to speed and immediately grabbed a gel and some water. I did well until I got to the first hill which I felt I did well on, but a lot of people passed me. Once into the flat part of the course, I got in the big ring and started hammering. I got to the turn around feeling good and continued on my way back. 1/2 way back my back started really hurting (lower back). I got up out of aero a few times trying to find a comfortable position, but nothing was working. I decided there was nothing I could do so I kept on keeping on. I had another gel right before getting back to transition.

Train more.
Transition 2
  • 01m 50s
Comments:

Came in and ran through transition racked my bike, changed shoes and hats and then ran down to the other end of transition to get to the timing mat. Felt quick and good.

Nothing.
Run
  • 54m 46s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

My legs were tight at the start and I was unsure of how my body was going to react. This was all new territory for me so I decided to be a little conservative on the first loop. I had to pee since the 2nd half of the bike and was hoping to find a bathroom but nothing was coming up. I kept trying to ignore it but it wasn't going away. Finally I found one and took a pit stop and it made my life a lot easier after that. I came out rejuvinated and happy. I spent my time on the run looking for people that I knew. On the first lap I saw my friend that I mentioned earlier and then I saw a guy whose daughter swims with mine. He's an Ironman vet and a really nice guy. I'd yell when I saw him and he's wave and laugh. I remember that Dave699 was at the race and that he sad his number was 1441, so I spent most of the run scanning numbers looking for him. Unfortunately I never saw him. On the second loop I picked up my pace a bit and started to push. Not long after that I saw Chris M heading in on his first loop so I gave him a yell and he returned the favor. After he yelled all the volunteers at the water station starting yelling my name and we were all lauging. At the very end my buddy was a couple hundred yards from the finish and told me to finish strong so I picked it up and ran it in.

At the end of the race I forgot to stop my watch so I had no idea what my time was. I felt like I ran pretty well but not great. Last night I saw my splits and thought that the 54:46 was really good for me. I ran a 10k last December for the first time and did it in 51:00. For having swam and biked first, a 54:46 wasn't to bad. The funny thing is that it's my worst AG ranked event.

Train harder and try to become a faster runner, although I really don't think that will ever happen.
Post race
Warm down:

I came through the shoot and gave them my bib ticket and timing chip. I grabbed a few glasses of water and some oranges and went back over to the run course and waited for ChrisM to cheer him on in.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think I did well for my first Oly. I didn't really taper or follow a training program for this specific race. I think more TITS and running will always do a body good.

Event comments:

I had a great time at this race. I knew a few people there and there were a lot of volunteers. I think they could have had a few more things to do after the race and I sure could have used a cold beer. Oh yeah, my daughter did the Seal Beach OWS, which was her first OWS competition so my wife and kids weren't at the race which was a bummer. She got 13th. I had a good day and it was a good experience.

Last updated: 2007-05-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:05 | 1500 meters | 02m 04s / 100meters
Age Group: 29/77
Overall: 187/657
Performance: Average
Suit: Full Suit
Course: Rectangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:45
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:15:35 | 24.85 miles | 19.73 mile/hr
Age Group: 48/77
Overall: 295/657
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back with a few hills.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:50
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:54:46 | 06.21 miles | 08m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 60/77
Overall: 396/657
Performance: Good
Course: Two loops with one small hill.....
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-16 11:08 AM

User image

Expert
Subject: Camp Pendleton International Triathlon

2007-07-16 11:29 AM
in reply to: #887485

Pro
AZ
Subject: RE: Camp Pendleton International Triathlon
For your first Oly you sure did a great job!!! Your times and speeds in each event were awesome!! You pulled through the back pain and even took time to go pee!! You are going to put me to shame!! :-) I am glad you had fun and it was a good experince for you.  You ROCKED IT!!!!  (I knew you would!)
2007-07-16 11:55 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Sounds like you had to make a lot of adjustments on the fly, and you still managed to get a really good time. Don't worry about the AG place--after all, the one thing you can't control is who shows up.
2007-07-16 2:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area- California
Hey those were great splits!  I think you have much to be proud of.  I hope you figure out the bug that made the back hurt, but you still had a good run anyway.  Hopefully the next race you'll be able to feel comfortable at the front of the swim start where you really belong and will be able to not let the other gung ho's around you break your calm and focus.  Good job my friend!
2007-07-16 4:46 PM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
Yippee!!  You did a great job and your splits look speedy quick even though you had to adjust for your some zigzag, an aching back and a pee break .  Way to push through it, Jeff.  Congrats.
2007-07-16 4:55 PM
in reply to: #888229

User image

Expert

milaminute - 2007-07-16 2:46 PM Yippee!!  You did a great job and your splits look speedy quick even though you had to adjust for your some zigzag, an aching back and a pee break .  Way to push through it, Jeff.  Congrats.

I guess when you put it that way......

2007-07-17 8:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver CO
way to go Jeff! I'd say your first oly was a smashing success. you have a really good approach to racing. nice work! now it's time to tackle the HIM!
2007-07-17 9:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
East Aurora, NY

Great job!  For your first Oly, I think you put up some awesome splits.  You said it in your RR that you didn't really follow much of a training plan, considering this, great job. 

You know, if you didn't stop for the port-o-john you could have finished a few minutes faster!  Next time just go on the run  

2007-07-17 12:55 PM

User image

Master
San Francisco
Sounds like you had a good race.  Your swim went well despite all the zig zagging.  Having to pee during a race always sucks.  Great job!
2007-07-17 5:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bend, OR
Jeff, great job on your first OLY!!  I wish I was there with you but next time.  Swimming in OW is definitely tricky especially if you don't have someone good to draft behind because you can easily waste a lot of energy but you pulled through and did well.  I thought you did great for your first OLY and I'm sure you're looking forward to that HIM.  Cheers!
2007-07-17 7:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
Congrats!!

You did amazingly well. I am a bit mad to hear you say
Train harder and try to become a faster runner, although I really don't think that will ever happen.

BTW glad to hear your daughter got involved and had fun at the event also!

2007-07-18 4:11 AM

User image

Regular
Sounds like you swam, biked and ran the good race.  A big accomplishment.  Congrats!
2007-07-19 1:09 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-07-19 5:49 PM

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
AWESOME performance!! Sweet bike split, too! Congrats!
2007-07-19 6:07 PM

Melon Presser
Great job, and thanks so much for the level of attention and detail in your report. You have me all jazzed up for the sprint!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Camp Pendleton International Triathlon Rss Feed