General Discussion Race Reports! » Danskin Women's Triathlon Series - Denver Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Danskin Women's Triathlon Series - Denver - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Denver, Colorado
United States
Danskin Women's Triathlon Series
Total Time = 1h 56m 18s
Overall Rank = 1172/2206
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 54/80
Pre-race routine:

Well, I actually slept really well the night before, all things considered. I got about 5 solid hours, which is better than I'd expected. I had been really paranoid about not waking up to my alarms so I had set every alarm I own. I ended up waking up about 10 min. before the first one so I had a bit of time to lay in bed and meditate before the symphony of beeps and buzzers began.

I had a bowl of cereal for breakfast and packed a bunch of food to eat before and during the race (I brought way too much, but it was a comfort thing to know I would have enough since my changing metabolism is constantly confusing me). I checked through my gear for about the 50th time to make sure I had everything, and made it out of my house by 5:30. A little later than planned but still way early for me.

Once I got in the car with my stuff all my stress just went away. I felt so good. It was a beautiful morning and I was watching the sun come up. Actually competing is such a huge milestone in this journey I've been on and everything just felt so calm and perfect. Then I hit traffic. The last 5 or so miles of the drive took close to an hour. That was stressful, but thankfully I had left early. Lots of women had already missed their start times. You had to park and then take a shuttle bus into the resivoir, and the stress level on that bus was downright scary! Ppl were getting wetsuits on on the bus and others were begging everyone to let them go ahead since their start times were minutes away(I felt bad for them, but I didn't want to make myself late...) They eded up adding some waves at the end for all the late ppl. They really need to work on parking and traffic stuff!
Event warmup:

Met up with Stacie (luv2ride), my "fan club" for the morning. Thank you sooooooo much for coming Stacie! You're awesome and you made everything that much more fun for me! Got sunscreen on, ate half a pb&j, talked to Stacie for a while, talked to some other women I had met at the expo....plenty of distractions to keep me from getting too nervous.
Swim
  • 19m 38s
  • 805 meters
  • 02m 26s / 100 meters
Comments:

First let me just say that this swim time is a little creepy because it is exactly, down to the second, how long I had told Stacie I would take. Weird. If this had been a guess your swim time contest I totally would've won! :)

As a part of Danskin tradition, before your wave starts Sally Edwards (spokeswoman) gives you a power word for your wave to repeat and say "I am a _______ swimmer". Mine was super...and all I could think of was Big Gay Al from South Park and "I'm thuper, thanks for athking". So I totally missed the whole inspirational speech part cus I was too busy cracking up to myself.

Once we started I stayed back to avoid letting adrenaline get the best of me and to avoid the flailing arms and legs. I think I stayed too far back though because a whole group of women in front of me stopped almost as soon as we'd started. I think they were all friends and one had freaked out so the whole group stopped. Once I got past them I kept running in to others that had either stopped or were moving so painfully slowly they might as well have been stopped. Once I got through the craziness though I got into my stroke and just found my rhythm and went for it. I felt AWESOME! I had a million things going through my head about wow, this is it, i'm actually doing it, but at the same time I was just totally focused, calm, and confident. I kept my stroke going at my pace and I found myself starting to pass people...not just the ones hanging on to bouys or kayaks, but I was passing actual swimmers! Wow!

After the turn around the first bouy the course went straight into the sun. The bouy was a little orange thing which was nearly impossible to actually see. At around that time my goggles started to fog up and when the sun hit to fog I couldn't see a thing. Totally disorienting. For a while I found some feet to follow but then it got too weird for to me to not be able to see so I flipped over on my back to clear them out. Apparently I don't go too straight on my back though because I had gone way the wrong direction in that short time! Took me a bit to get back with the group but I still felt awesome. Came around the second bouy and started heading back towards the beach. Same rhythm, feeling great, all the way in. Free the whole way!!! My ultimate swimming goal! Woohoo! :) My only mistake is that I tried to stand up too early and my feet didnt actually reach the bottom. Then I ended up putting my foot down on a rock. Ow!

I'm a little surprised with how slow my time is considering how good I felt. (Not long ago I would've considered this an awesome time, but I was only a tad slower in Boulder and I'd done mostly sidestroke there). I was in the top third overall though for swimming so apparently everyone's times were a bit slow. I'm really excited that I actually placed sorta towards the front of the pack in something! Yay! :)
What would you do differently?:

Maybe start a little farther up in the pack, though I'm glad I didn't for this race because I liked avoiding all that extra stress.
Transition 1
  • 05m 3s
Comments:

Slowest. Transition. Ever. I decided that it was much more important to me to be comfortable on the bike than to have a fast transition, so I took my time to sit down and lace up my shoes and get everything situated just right....ate a few grapes and part of a chocolate gu. I had arranged everything so it would be easy to get to, but after the excitement of the swim it was hard to focus on what I was doing. There waere also tons of people in the transition area just hanging out and talking....some had just arrived, some were finishing relay legs, but I sort of forgot I had to hurry with so many ppl just hanging around. My transition spot was about as far as you could possibly be from the bike start, so I had a loooooong ways to go with my bike. (It was super close to the swim and run though, so it worked out ok)

Nothing. I'm sure someday I'll be more concerned with transition speed, and when I am I'll work on it.
Bike
  • 49m 40s
  • 12 miles
  • 14.50 mile/hr
Comments:

Holy freakin fast bike time!!! For the road bikers out there this probably looks slow, but for riding on a 7 year old mountain bike, not so bad, right? :) I passed a lot of ppl and got passed a lot on the bike....but not a single mountain biker passed me so that made me happy! (Ok one did, with slicks, but I'm pretty sure I passed her back!)

It was a closed course for the bike, so as soon as I got on to the main road it was just bikes everywhere. It was amazingly cool to see, especially for me coming from being so lazy for so many years. So many people out on bikes...it's hard to explain but it was a beautiful thing! :) Around mile 4 my thighs started cramping up a bit but not bad enough to cause a problem....just bad enough to remind me that this is hard work and supposed to hurt a bit! :) The hills were rough, as expected, but I was so glad I had ridden them before. They were definitely easier the second time and I was amazed with how fast I made it up to the turnaround. Lots of ppl were walking their bikes up the steeper hills.

Every couple of miles there was a mile marker (which was nice since i'd forgotten to restart my bike computer) with a saying on it. My personal favorite was "Mile 10: so long monkey!" During the first timers overview at the expo they had talked about the self-doubt monkey on your back that will show up during the race and how you have to keep believing in yourself to get rid of that monkey. Boy does it feel good to say good riddance to that monkey for good! No more Lacey the couch potato. Say hello to Lacey the triathlete!

Not a thing! My goal was to finish in an hour averaging 12mph and I kicked the crap outta that! I have a lot to learn on the bike but its mostly just a lack of experience. I need to ride more hills and get better at knowing when to shift, but all things considered I feel really really great about how well I did on those hills. Though having a road bike would've helped....
Transition 2
  • 02m 48s
Comments:

Considering that I didn't have to change shoes, this transition should've been a lot faster. I took my time again though....would rather the extra minute to be as ready as I can be. Had some more grapes, retied my shoes, got my race belt on (took a couple of tries! lol), grabbed my water bottle and away I went. Well sort of....I finally got to experience the brick legs sensation. It took a bit to get to even a walk, much less run!

Nothing....transition speed will come later.
Run
  • 39m 7s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 12m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

It started to get HOT on the run! I had my water bottle with me for drinking though so at every aid station I could dump the water cup over my head which helped a lot. I had my interval timer on my watch set to 2 min. walking for every 1 min. of running. I started out running out of the transition area beause I wanted to run where the crowd was. I then started my timer and stuck with it for the entire run. The timer is a huge help for me because I can cut off the running before I get so exhausted that I can't make it any farther. I then am able to recover quickly and do it again, and I get into a much better rhythm than if I were just running as much as I can at a time. I walked with one woman for a while who was really struggling and I told her what I was doing. "You can do anything for a minute at a time!" I told her, and that's what I was repeating to myself for this whole run. Everything hurt, my stomach felt like it was going to explode, and I really just wanted to sit in the shade....but I can do anything for a minute at a time, and I did. I stuck with my pace all the way through, and I'm so so happy that I was able to keep it in the 12's. Once again it's just amazing, not much more than a month ago 14min/miles were crazy fast for me, and just look at me now! My shins felt awesome the whole way....absolutely no pain. Or maybe it was just that everything else hurt so much I didn't notice the shin pain? Hmmmmmm

The announcer announced everyones names as we finished....hearing my name over the loudspeaker was just amazing! I had really done it!

Nothing. I need more running experience and more time to strengthen my shins, but I accomplished exactly what I had set out to do.
Post race
Warm down:

Found a volunteer to take my chip off the strap for me b/c my hands were shaking too bad (from exhaustion and excitement) to do it. Found Stacie and got a big hug from her. Found the first available shade (happened to be next to the ambulance...ha!) and sat down. Drank some nice cold water...life is good! :)

Once I finally made it back to my car, out of traffic, and home, I made myself the world's biggest turkey sandwich and a giant glass of ice water, and plopped myself down in front of the tv with my fan pointed directly at me. It's so fun to be lazy knowing i've earned it!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of experience. I'm a beginner and it shows, but I couldn't have asked for a better race! I beat my goal time by 4 minutes even with my slow transitions! (I hadn't decided if I was including transition times in that goal or not, so in a sense I beat it by 12 minutes!). I'm a little disappointed with this race report form because the choices for overall for each part only go up to good....I really want one that says "really freakin' awesome!!!" cus that's what it all was! :)

Event comments:

This race needs some major work on traffic issues. It seems that with the number of years they've been holding this they should be able to find a workable solution. Also, the post-race food could've been better....green bananas, plain bagels with nothing to put on them, and nutri-grain bars.

It was a really great race for a first one though...there were lots of other newbies and the atmosphere was awesome! Everyone was just out having fun and supporting each other...very cool! They really cater well to those new to the sport.

Last updated: 2007-06-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:38 | 805 meters | 02m 26s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/80
Overall: 703/2206
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:03
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:49:40 | 12 miles | 14.50 mile/hr
Overall: 0/2206
Wind:
Course: The website's description says "rolling hills"....I saw it more as climbing straight up a freakin mountain, with just enough rollers that you never really get to coast in either direction!
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:48
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:39:07 | 03.1 miles | 12m 37s  min/mile
Overall: 0/2206
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-07-16 11:18 AM

User image

Expert
In limbo
Subject: Danskin Women's Triathlon Series - Denver

2007-07-16 11:31 AM
in reply to: #887512

Subject: RE: Danskin Women's Triathlon Series - Denver
CONGRATULATIONS!!!! You did it! After all that preperation you are officially a triathlete, great job!
2007-07-16 11:43 AM

User image

Broomfield, CO
Awesome job! Sounds like you had a great first tri. Are you hooked? What's your next event?
2007-07-16 11:48 AM

User image

Expert
San mateo California

I knew you had it in you...  You are awesome..   Congratulations...  Really...  That was a great race.  

You are a triathlete now...    How does it feel? 

2007-07-16 11:55 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Enjoyed reading your race report, you have come a long way and it sounded like you had a great time out there. Congrats on a great race and yes, you deserved that time haning out on the couch!
2007-07-16 12:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bravo. Nice Job!

2007-07-16 12:17 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, Colorado

Hey there, TRIATHLETE!!!  You are amazing! It sounds like you had a wonderful race.  I am so, so excited for you!!

Now, have you signed up for Steamboat??

2007-07-16 1:01 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Congrats Lacey!  You did great!  LOL, funny report too. 
2007-07-16 1:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver
Well done - expecially on that hilly bike course!  Hope you are enjoying basking in the glow of becoming a triathlete!
2007-07-16 1:20 PM

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington

I just spat tea all over the screen after reading your South Park reference. I am watching it right now! hehehee

What a great race! Congratulations. Everytime I see a Danskin report I get even more excited about my upcoming race in August!  

2007-07-16 2:59 PM

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member

Fantastic job!! You really kicked some tail on the bike course - that's a great split for being on a mountain bike!!!  Heck - I think I was slower than that on a ROAD bike when I did the Danskin the first time...

Funny race report too - I'm cracking up at "I'm thuper, thanks for athking!"....

2007-07-16 4:09 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Way to go and exceed expectations!!!  Time to raise them! and remember the earned laziness is only a temporary situation.  Hope you find the right fall race for yourself!!!
2007-07-16 5:21 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Awesome job!!!!! YOU DID IT!!!!! I'm so excited for you and the Danskin is such a great environment for a 1st race. Congrats on becoming a triathlete. It's been fun to watch your progress.

What's next?
2007-07-16 9:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Ontario, Canada
Congratulations TRIATHLETE!!!! I've been following your journey (no, I'm not a stalker ), and you're very inspirational with your spirit and drive. Great job!
2007-07-16 10:26 PM

User image

, North Carolina
Oh Lacey ... I am so proud of you ... you did THUPER!  Like the poster above, I've been following your progress and I think it's amazing how far you've come in such a short time.  Congratulations!
2007-07-17 8:23 AM
in reply to: #888539

User image

Veteran
Great race and race report! I am so glad it went well for you!!!!!

2007-07-17 11:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO
Congratulations, Lacey. You had such a great race! I'm so glad I was there to witness you becoming a triathlete. You've come such a long way in a short amount of time (ahh, to be so young!!) - you should be so proud of yourself! Remember the glow of your first triathlon, because you can never have another FIRST!!
2007-07-17 12:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Iceland

Awesome job

You can be really proud of yourself!!

2007-07-17 1:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, SC
Good job on a great race! Loved your race report too!
2007-07-17 3:19 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
Congrats Triathlete! You did it. Great job, great race. If I remember correctly, my first sprint was 1:50 or so, also on a Mountain Bike.. so look at you.. Awesome.
2007-07-18 6:30 AM

User image

Champion
Sydney
Congrats on beating your goal time!!!! GO GO GO!

2007-07-18 1:29 PM

User image

Expert
In limbo

Wow...I had no idea I had so many "followers"!  Thanks everyone!

I'm also noticing that finishing a tri is a lot like graduating....lots of "congrats" followed immediately by "what's next?".     The plan in my head for the next step is the Steamboat tri (8/26, .75 mile swim, 20 mile bike, 4 mile run) to celebrate my birthday, but I can't seem to follow through and actually click the submit button on the registration form because I'm scared of the distance!  It's mainly the bike distance that scares me....that's long for me even for a training ride!  I just need to find that extra umph and get the courage to sign up before it sells out!

2007-07-21 12:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Minneapolis, Minnesota
I really enjoyed reading this race report. Congratulations on coming so far! I am also continually looking back and thinking "Whoa. A few months ago I never could have swam/biked/ran this fast/far." Excellent race and you've given me a lot of inspiration for my first one coming up.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Danskin Women's Triathlon Series - Denver Rss Feed