Crystal Lake Park District
70F / 21C
Precipitation
Total Time = 46m 17s
Overall Rank = 62/113
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 7/10
Pre-race routine:

Got up early, did some stuff around the house. Packed the back pack and headed to the lake on foot. I was going to run but the pack bounced so much it was driving me nuts so I walked. Then Schmize called and since he was on his way there in the car I had him pick me up. Got there in time to get ready but not really to find BT'ers like I had hoped. I didn't really give this event much thought as a race due to the stuff I had to get done. I basically just thought of it as a solid workout and a way to practice sighting and get used to the wetsuit for next week.
Event warmup:

None. Was standing knee deep in water chit chatting when all of a sudden we had to rush over to the start. Oops. Maybe a little more focus next time would be good.
Swim
  • 47m 16s
  • 3219 meters
  • 01m 28s / 100 meters
Comments:

The distance was short. Differing opinions as to how much short. But it was short last year when I did this race so relative to last year I took 15 minutes off my time which was HUGE!

We waited in the water for what seemed like forever and then BLAM we were off. The washing machine effect was felt more in the chop than in the banging and bumping. Lots of water in the face while trying to breathe. Got through that just fine and stretched out.

I've taken a new attitude toward my OWS. My swim is like my drive in golf. If I try to hit it too hard the ball goes 225 straight and 75 yards to the right. If I swing easy it goes 200-250 straight. So I swam comfortable and sighted and decided that staying straight would help make up for going slower. It worked. I felt good about my navigation. Not great, yet, but good, considering this is my only OWS of the year so far. At one point I tried drafting this muscle bound dude in jammers. He swam slightly faster than me but stopped to breaststroke when sighting. I didn't like that so I swam just to the left of him and used him for sighting. I lost track of him for a minute and WHAM! The dude caught me in the right shoulder with his left heel. Hit me so hard I had to stop and recover. If I had been slightly to my right he might have caught me in the noggin' and fricking knocked me out.

So last year when I rounded the buoy for the second lap I was dying and couldn't believe I had to swim another lap. This year it was like "oh, another lap, ok". I swear I could have swam a third lap without losing any speed. Maybe that means I wasn't trying hard enough but I was comfortable and relaxed. I'll worry about going fast next week.

I will say this about the chop. First, I grew up water skiing so I deal with rough water and trying to swim in it very well. No problem there. But I work on it in the pool too. When I'm swimming I don't care what happens I try to never stop. Swallow water, splash from a kid jumping in, choke on saliva by accident, have to cough or sneeze, burp, even throw up a little bit, etc (I know, it's gross, sorry). And I'm not talking about into the pool, I don't do that! I figure this has got to help me in OWS and it does. Eventually you learn how to take care of all of these issues without stopping and it becomes second nature.

Got toward the end and instead of standing up too soon and experiencing the leg cramps in waist high water (which becomes chest high when you collapse onto your knees because you can't stand up) I pulled until I could feel sand. Then I dug my hands into the sand and pulled along the bottom until my chest rubbed. Popped up and got across the line as the cramps were just starting to hit. Worked perfectly! Now THAT'S an exit strategy.

I had asked Jen not to come because we had a big enough day planned and I wanted her and the kids to get off to a relaxed start. So of course she was there, with all three kids. Her and Holly, what couple of great tri-wives. They are the bestest.
What would you do differently?:

Next year I'll treat it like a race and go faster earlier. Work more on speed work before the race. I can swim a long way at my cruising speed but I just didn't have that extra gear to get into when I got near the finish. I need to develop that. But I knew that and trained to be steady and comfortable, not necessarily fast.
Post race
Warm down:

Stood around talking, meeting BT'ers, giving directions, etc. etc. Great day. The sun came out and it was beautiful. Changed clothes, packed the bag and ran home with a heavier pack due the wet wetsuit and towel which made it not bounce around so much.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of speed training.

Event comments:

I like this race. Not a lot of OWS races around and this one is almost in my backyard. What's not to like?

Last updated: 2007-07-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:47:16 | 3219 meters | 01m 28s / 100meters
Age Group: 7/10
Overall: 62/113
Performance: Good
Suit: Sleeveless 2XU
Course: Out and back twice. Choppier in the water than it looked from shore.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-16 2:46 PM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
Subject: Splish, Splash and Dash - 2 Mile

2007-07-16 6:54 PM
in reply to: #887988

User image

Expert
Lake Forest, Illinois
Subject: RE: Splish, Splash and Dash - 2 Mile

Great race man!  I remember looking at the course at the beginning and thinking "no way that is 2 miles"

You have a relative to last year though and that's a huge improvement!

Great job!

2007-07-18 2:03 PM
in reply to: #887988

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois
Subject: RE: Splish, Splash and Dash - 2 Mile
Yep, huge improvement in your swimming.  No doubt about it.  That will bode well for SOR.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Splish, Splash and Dash - 2 Mile Rss Feed