Crystal Lake, Illinois
United States
Crystal Lake Park District
Total Time = 1h 09m 23s
Overall Rank = 107/113
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Had a bowl of oatmeal with drien cranberries about an hour and a half before the race. Drove down to Crystal Lake and stood around for a while. The weather outside wasn't very good for spectators but wasn't bad for swimming.
Event warmup:

Warmup was a few hundred yards of slow swimmibng just to get the blood flowing and make sure the wetsuit was all set.
Swim
  • 1h 09m 23s
  • 3219 meters
  • 01m 53s / 100 meters
Comments:

To start with, I went into this race with the goal of going out slow and staying slow throughout the race. I have never done the distance in open water or the pool so I wanted to see what it would feel like.

That said, this was way slow for me. The water was choppy but not prohibitively so. The problem was that I caught a gulp or two of water when I needed air in some bad spots. That resulted in me being dropped by the pack. I then had an issue on the return of lap one when a mile swimmer on her way out, and myself on the way in, locked up. I caught he bicep right in the nose and torqued my neck back a bit as neither of us saw eachother. I was dazed for a second or two and had to shake it off and get back into the flow of things.

By that time I had been dropped by the back of the pack and all hope of drafting was gone.

To further complicate thing my sighting wasn't as good as it usually is. Actually, I was sighting correctly but picking the wrong targets. I should have been sighting further down the course and swimming in a straight line, ignoring the buoys. Instead I kept the buoys directly on my right which caused me to keep to tight a line with them so I ended up swimming more of a U instead of a line.
What would you do differently?:

Overall it was a good experince. No that I know I can swim the distance fairly comfortably I would go out about as hard as I did but then pick the pace up and hold onto the middle of the main pack. I didn't fight for position as hard as I should have and that resulted in me being spit out the back.

For a first 2 mile open water I was OK with how it went down. For the next one I'll go out harder and swim harder throughout.

From a performance standpoint the overall swim was bad. From a learning standpoint it was great.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much. I walked around for a bit. Met a few BTers, and then headed home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Having never done the distance I was too conservative. My sighting should have been farther down the course, and I'm not trained for 2 mile swims as my swim volume is too low for that distance.

Event comments:

The event was a bit happhazard. It took them a bit to figure out I was pre-reged for it. There really wasn't a description of what was going to happen until just before the gun. Most of the competitors were asking eachother which buoy was which and was this a mass start or waves etc.

In the end it all turned out OK but it was kindof like a high school health fair kind of race.

I plan on doing it again next year though.

Last updated: 2007-07-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:09:23 | 3219 meters | 01m 53s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/113
Performance: Bad
Suit: promotion Full
Course: Double loop course. One loop for the milers and two loops for the 2 milers
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Below average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Bad
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-07-16 6:51 PM

User image

Expert
Lake Forest, Illinois
Subject: Splish, Splash and Dash - 2 Mile

2007-07-16 10:33 PM
in reply to: #888370

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chicago
Subject: RE: Splish, Splash and Dash - 2 Mile
Like you said - a great experience! good job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Splish, Splash and Dash - 2 Mile Rss Feed