General Discussion Race Reports! » Group Health Seattle to Portland Bicycle Classic (2 Day Ride) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Group Health Seattle to Portland Bicycle Classic (2 Day Ride) - CycleTour

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Seattle, Washington
United States
Cascade Bicycle Club
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Drove over to my brother's place on Friday and spent the evening there eating and puttering with the bikes. Had a little bit of drive train adjustment to do but nothing major. Didn't get a whole lot of sleep due to some other issues (read Soretaint's RR) but probably managed 3-3 1/2 hours then up at 0230 to begin the day.
Event warmup:

Not much more than riding around the parking lot looking for port-a-potties.
Bike
  • 11h 18m
  • 204 miles
  • 18.05 mile/hr
Comments:

Where to start on such a long day? It was still pretty dark at 0445 when we left the University of Washington campus start line but with nearly 1000 riders leaving for the double century portion of the ride it didn't seem nearly as dark as just before the start. The route wove it's way through Seattle, then south through many stop lights and railroad track crossings before smoothing out after about 20 miles. There was one serious crash about 1 mile into the ride; don't know if the guy got hit by a car or lost it on the rough road but he looked pretty out of it. Made the first food stop and my brother (Soretaint) got his bike tweaked by the mechanic and was good to go. At this point, there were still hundreds of riders in huge groups along the roads, and the volunteers and police did a great job of controlling traffic for us. Much appreciated.
We were able to find some good pace lines at times over the next 50-60 miles and ended up at the halfway point in Centralia feeling good and ready for more. At lunch, repacked our pockets, and filled drink bottles with supplies that my brother's wives had graciously trekked all the way for us.
Took off from the 100 mile mark and now it was getting uncomfortably hot and humid. 92-95 degrees and 70-80% humidity. Uggh. For the next 40+ miles, the course went through some euphemistically named "rollers". Yeah...hill after hill after hill. None of them really long or particularily steep, but pretty continuous. About 5 miles before the last major food stop, I noticed my cassette was having problems. I was dearly hoping it was an easy fix by the mechanics at the stop, and fortunately it was. Just a loose keeper ring but it took a few minutes for them to get to it. In the meantime, we were able to get some good food...chicken wraps and lots of fresh fruit.
Now I'm not too sure just what all was in the chicken wraps but for some reason, I got a burst of new energy after this stop. Maybe it was the fact that it was getting cooler; maybe it was the end getting in sight; I don't know but it came from somewhere. My brother (Soretaint) and I took off and for the next 30-some miles we absolutely hammered. We stayed steady at 23-26 mph during this stretch, even on some long, gradual uphills. I felt like the Energizer Bunny! We just kept hammering and hammering at this pace and it didn't feel all that hard at all. My brother John (who is an animal rider by the way) pulled quite a bit of this run but for the last several miles I jumped up front and still kept the pace. I still haven't figured out how after 150+ miles but when I do I'm gonna bottle the formula! We finally pulled off to wait for my other brother, Jeff, and he really wasn't all that far behind us! I was very pleased with how he hung in there all day long, not having that much riding time and experience under his belt. He's got more guts and determination than just about anyone I know though! For the last 25 miles or so, we rode together, in our own little line, and still kept a pretty good pace. It was a fantastic feeling to cross the finish line, 3 abreast, with my brothers and best friends!!
The whole ride was just a great experience. Some people are pretty good at riding pace lines...others not so much. But everyone was having a great time and there were smiles all around all day. Unfortunately, there were a few serious crashes. Not sure what happened but some of them looked to be vehicle related and others caused when riders got too close to each other. Good lessons in always, always, always watch out for the other guy.

What would you do differently?:

Nothing! This was such a fun ride and to be able to do it with my brothers made it perfect! Nailed my nutrition and hydration all day long. In fact, I had to pee every 20-25 miles so the hydration, especially, seemed perfect. Maybe I would do one thing different...find out what was in the food at mile 145 and patent it!
Post race
Warm down:

Stayed with some friends in Portland who pulled out all the stops for us. They have beautiful home and made us feel like family with huge meals that night and the next morning.

Event comments:

If you ever want to do a double Century, this is the one! It is incredibly well organized and supported with tons of volunteers, law enforcement, mechanical support, and food stops. And the course, once you're out of the Seattle metro area, is beautiful. The sunrise over Mount Ranier was awesome and the rest of the way was through nice countryside. Can't say enough about how great it was. Will definitely do it again!

Last updated: 2007-07-15 12:00 AM
Biking
11:18:00 | 204 miles | 18.05 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-07-16 8:02 PM

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID
Subject: Group Health Seattle to Portland Bicycle Classic (2 Day Ride)

2007-07-16 10:59 PM
in reply to: #888456

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
Subject: RE: Group Health Seattle to Portland Bicycle Classic (2 Day Ride)

Awesome ride.  Sounds so cool that all the hydration and nutrition worked out so well.  200+ in one day!!! and Smoking the tires!!!

IMFlorida will be a piece of cake.

2007-07-16 11:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, WA

Hey, this sounds like a ride I went on the other day!

If you get the patent on the chicken wraps, you better buy me a new bike w/ the cash! Oh....and a new house, car, truck, lap pool, etc., etc. because it will make you filthy rich!

Can't wait til next year to do it all over again!

2007-07-17 4:21 AM

User image

Master
Plant City, FL
The ride sounds beautiful!  Maybe next year I'll go with ya....in the car, but sunrise over Ranier sounds amazing!!   Seeing you and your brothers kick a$$ sounds pretty good too!! Glad you had a good time and got some good food.  I'm working on my chicken wraps for IMFL right now!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Group Health Seattle to Portland Bicycle Classic (2 Day Ride) Rss Feed