General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Flat tires, and the dreaded DNS Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-07-16 9:20 PM

Veteran
41° 4' 36" N 71° 56' 10" W
Subject: Flat tires, and the dreaded DNS
I am interested in hearing what folks do to avoid flats or other mechanical issues on race day. After several races I have finally joined the DNS club due to multiple flat tires - and I thought I was doing everything possible to avoid this. Looks like I need a better plan.

Read on for details if interested -

I was training for very popular local sprint tri over the last few weeks and had 2 flat tires in 2 days (more specifically 2 flats in less than a mile, same tire). Something clearly wrong with the tire, or so it seemed. I was going to address this with the local bike shop the day before the race (no time due to work). My wife offered to take the tire to the bike shop at mid week (when it is slow at shop, so that they could properly analyze the problem). She explains the situation to them. They repair the tire, and sell her a spare tube and the co2 inflation things - just in case I ever need to do my own roadside repair. I had about 400 miles on the new bike and no flats ever before this.

So its 6:30 morning of race day. Up since 5. I am getting ready for the race. Hundreds of vehicles with plates from all over, people are setting up. I check the tire pressure and get myself set up. I get my numbers marked on my arms and legs. Stretch. I decide to take a quick spin on bike a half mile up and back to get warmed up - I go really fast just to feel the bike move. Well, a qtr mile down the road I get another flat (this is now the 3rd flat tire in 3 times on the bike, same tire, - the 3rd flat in less than a mile of riding). Now I have some issues, its about 20 minutes til start. But all is not lost. There's a bike tech back at the check-in area. I walk back and show him the bike - he says he can fix the flat no problem, fast. I explain I've had a series of flats so something must be wrong. He takes the tire off the bike, turns the tire inside out, and starts looking along every inch of the tire. Sure enough he finds 2 pieces of glass embedded in the tire (but not obvious to the naked eye). This is actually good news. Maybe my problem has finally been solved! I hand him my newly purchased spare tube. He starts to put the tube on the tire.... but then more bad news - he sez, "hey this new tube is the WRONG SIZE." &^^%$ Do I have another tube or a patch kit? (why would I, isn't one spare enough?) He suggests that I ask around for a spare tube of this size or a patch kit. I ask a few guys at T1 spot but no luck. But now time is running out, everyone is in wet suits and starting to go down to the water. I really don't want to bother anyone with my own issues at this point. Everyone has their own race to run. The first wave is called up. Its over! So I hand in my timing chip and withdraw. Oh, so sad.

So I go back up and get my running gear. I have to do something. So I erase my numbers from my arms and legs go for a good 12 mile run to unwind. Running this hilly 12 miles actually takes longer than had I done the sprint tri - so I get my desired workout. And I let go of any anger over the situation.

Going forward, even though the flat tire is supposedly "fixed," again, I am wondering if, under like conditions in the future, I am better off just buying a whole new tire and/or keeping a spare tire (as well as multiple spare tubes) with me on on race day.

2007-07-17 6:14 AM
in reply to: #888544

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Flat tires, and the dreaded DNS
Man, that really sucks. But the first thing that crossed my mind was "why didn't you swim?" Then it's a DNF instead of DNS!
2007-07-17 7:36 AM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD

Bike shop should have inspected the tire after the explanation of multiple flats.  And unbelievable they sold your wife the wrong sized tube.

Similarly... no reason you shouldn't after each flat.

I had a similar bout of multiple flats, and it turned out it was that I needed new tires (had thinned and everything was poking through). 

2007-07-17 10:58 AM

Regular
possibly need new rim tape? that's what i had to do after multiple flats.
2007-07-17 11:14 AM

User image

New user
Madison, WI
I don't think having a spare tire and multiple tubes (in the proper size!) is a bad idea!

I always check the inside of the tire before I put a new tube on, after a flat (and ESPECIALLY after multiple flats). It's stupid that the bike shop did not do this. Hold something between your fingers and the inside of the tires (I like a washcloth or a paper towel) that will snag on anything sharp.

I also have Mr Tuffy liners between the tire and the tube.
2007-07-17 12:12 PM

New user

F.Y.I.
where I work, DNS stands for Drowning None Swimmer

2007-07-17 12:20 PM

Something like this happened to me in June with the tire (not the tube)... tires were fine the night before, and probably race morning (it was 4:30 am so I wasn't super coherent at the time).  By the time we got to the race site and unloaded my bike, we noticed a 1.5 cm gash in my tire with the tube bulging out.  I had spare tubes, but no spare tire, so we tried a makeshift patch for the tire with a new tube, and it didn't work.  DNS and $80 for nothing.  I did an HIM a month later and you can bet I had a spare tire on me in transition, and a patch kit in my saddlebag.

If the tube keeps flatting, it sounds like it could be a rim tape issue.  Hopefully the bike shop knows enough to be able to fix that one!

2007-07-17 12:25 PM

User image

New user
Madison, WI
I think it sounds like they figured out that the multiple flats were from the glass in the tire, and that it's not a rim-tape-failure-spokes-poking-tube issue.
2007-07-17 1:05 PM

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area

JohnP_NY - 2007-07-16 7:20 PM ....Going forward, even though the flat tire is supposedly "fixed," again, I am wondering if, under like conditions in the future, I am better off just buying a whole new tire and/or keeping a spare tire (as well as multiple spare tubes) with me on on race day...

Learn to inspect and change your own tubes and tires.  Really, its not that difficult. With a little practice you can get the process down to <5 min. per tire.

I have a set of "race-only" tires, that are always carefully inspected pre- and post-race, and installed only the day before the race.  This doesn't make me immune to flats or anything, but I'm certain it helps eliminates some of the chance of flats.   More importantly, it gives me a certain peace of mind.

I think that's one of the advantage of clinchers, being able to fairly easily swap out training tires for race-only tires (vs. tubulars which involve gluing).  On this last Sunday's race, I saw 3 racers with flats, all 3 with tubulars.  Coincidence?  Perhaps. 

2007-07-17 1:28 PM
in reply to: #889422

Master
guncollector - 2007-07-17 1:05 PM

JohnP_NY - 2007-07-16 7:20 PM ....Going forward, even though the flat tire is supposedly "fixed," again, I am wondering if, under like conditions in the future, I am better off just buying a whole new tire and/or keeping a spare tire (as well as multiple spare tubes) with me on on race day...

Learn to inspect and change your own tubes and tires. Really, its not that difficult. With a little practice you can get the process down to <5 min. per tire.

I have a set of "race-only" tires, that are always carefully inspected pre- and post-race, and installed only the day before the race. This doesn't make me immune to flats or anything, but I'm certain it helps eliminates some of the chance of flats. More importantly, it gives me a certain peace of mind.

I think that's one of the advantage of clinchers, being able to fairly easily swap out training tires for race-only tires (vs. tubulars which involve gluing). On this last Sunday's race, I saw 3 racers with flats, all 3 with tubulars. Coincidence? Perhaps.

A quick search of youtube turns up a few video's as well. Instead of a cloth, I tend to rub my fingers along the inside. Same effect, you'll feel a should you hit anything.

~fatBoy
http://trifatboy.com
2007-07-17 1:44 PM

User image

New user
Madison, WI
Eeek, but you might also cut your fingers!

2007-07-17 3:25 PM

User image

Master
Calgary, AB
Silver member
Armadillo or some other kevlar/tough tire. Sure a bit heavier, but you can balance that out with a super light tube, and the diff isn't that much. And I'll give up 30 seconds for a much less chance of a flat (the bike I'm borrowing has had 0 flats in the last year, and has done 3 sprints, ironman, half-iron, plus all the training road runs). Got them on my road bike, 0 flats as well. I'll worry about race tires when I'm in the top 5 AG.
2007-07-17 4:07 PM

User image

Champion
Butler
If you had glass in the tire the only way to catch it would be to inspect the tire.  You should do that after every flat, I would not use your figure unless you move real slow or you might cut yourself.  I would have suggested the rim tape also but you mentioned they found glass.  I had that problem on my tire.
2007-07-17 4:37 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
That totally sucks.  The bike store should have spotted it tho.  Probably because your wife brought it in they did a bad job (As a female I think bike store guys COMPLETELY blow us off) Also as someone else mentioned check the liner in the wheel.  I had a problem with flats and it was because I had cheepo liners.  Once they were changed out no more flats
2007-07-17 5:12 PM
in reply to: #890037

User image

Sensei
Sin City
I'm VERY surprised that the LBS not taking this basic step....

Maybe there should be an article written about changing flats. It looks like there are many threads with the same problems.

You should always check the inside of the tire (in Colorado, we would get thorns in them all the time that didn't come out.)

I carry a dollar bill in my pack. It's good for emergency phone calls AND if your tire gets a small cut, you can fold it up, place it over the cut (on the inside of course) and use it as a temp patch to keep the tube from poking out.

Check the rim tape to make sure a spoke is not poking through.

Realize if you have a pinch flat, you will have TWO holes (99% of the time) to patch if your taking the patch route. I tend to just replace the tube, but carry a patch kit if I get another flat.

I carry extra CO2 and a frame pump.

Skewer levers can be used as tire levers in an emergency. But I carry them too.

Maybe I'm a little over cautious - but that is from all my MTN biking days. MANY times I'm miles out from anywhere, with no cell phone service so I'm on my own. I would rather not hike all day out pushing a bike.

2007-07-17 9:45 PM

User image

Expert
Again...I still don't get it...you don't need a bike to START a triathlon. You just need one to finish.

2007-07-17 11:19 PM

Veteran
41° 4' 36" N 71° 56' 10" W
I did not start because I didn't feel like the very long walk back all wet with salt water, walking the bike and carrying a dripping wet suit. I did feel like a good run at least on par with a full sprint tri.

I learned that you can do all the conditioning and nutrition but the bike seems to be one of the most frequently cited reasons for a DNS or DNF.

I see people show up with two bikes or all these extra tires and what not, and now I know why.

I dont know much about bike maintnence but I will need to learn a lot. For example, I dont know how much wear my tires should be able to take and when to consider new ones. I dont know the difference between the various type of tires re durability and performance. I also dont know what other parts of the bike are generally likely to fail besides tires/tubes and the cost/benefit of stocking different types of spare parts.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Flat tires, and the dreaded DNS Rss Feed