Team Magic
82F / 28C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 31m 12s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 53/55
Pre-race routine:

I had a terrible night of sleep. I easily fell asleep at 8 and then woke up at 10 and tossed and turned until almost 1am. I don't think it was race nerves but more of the time change....besides I had my nervous breakdown the day before!
Event warmup:

I got up at 4:30am and only had a bannanna and some oatmeal but I was not very hungry. I rode the bike down to the race site and that was pretty cool! It was still dark at the transition area when I got there so I put things down and walked around for a bit. We had to wait in a big football field for the start and I just happened to stumble across some bt'ers...KatieAnderen, Steamy and a few others! Thia was so awesome and it was nice to make new friends!
Swim
  • 37m 1s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 28s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was a point to point race but it was an individual start meaning one person started every 3 seconds off the peir. I thought I would like this better but in retrospect I did not like it as much as a wave start...I did not have any adrenaline or race nerves to get me going since they just told me to start swimming. Also, I did NOT feel the current and am not sure if there even was one. The best part though is that I did not panic in the swim and stayed calm which is good for me! I think I sited a little too much but I stayed right on course and almost hit two bouys head on which I guess is ok. ADollar79 and was of the strong men that yanked me out of the water when I got to the pier which was cool and nice to see a friendly face. They did a GREAT job and my shins did not get banged up.
What would you do differently?:

I know I could have swam harder. I felt like I was walking in the water but I am not confident enough in the water yet to push it hard. And besdies, this was an Ocean sized river!!! ;) Holy hell was that thing big! But I am starting to see imporvement over where I started 8 weeks ago!
Transition 1
  • 02m 51s
Comments:

I think this went fine. I am not fast at transitions and I did not really run with my bike but I did my best to run up all the stairs leading up to the transition.
Bike
  • 1h 35m 41s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 15.58 mile/hr
Comments:

I drove the course the day before and thought the hills were massive. I didn't realize they were going to be that tough from the elevation map I read before arriving in Chatt but to be honest they weren't that bad once I got out there. I did not push it the first 3 miles because I wanted to get used to the borrowed bike and wanted to get rid of my sea legs. I think that made a negative impact on my time. When I started getting comfy I would put the gears up and was pedaling down hill were when I started I coasted. My garmin said my fastest speed was 35mph...now that was cool. There were lots of 6-9% grade hills! Towards the end I was pedaling fast down a big hill and the wind kicked up and I got a little nervous and put the brakes on but from what I hear I was not the only one that felt that way. Now, I'm talking about cylcone winds here! ;) It was cool though, I passed a few people going up hill on tri bikes and that always makes me feel good. I was so ready to get off the bike though. I was not used to the saddle and lets just say I was in ALOT of pain and was even starting to get squeamish towards the end. :( On another note...on the way back in there were two sooooper fast women that passed me and the wind was really kicking up and as they each passed me they each yelled at me that they loved my tri shorts! LOL! I thought that was hilarious and isn't just like women to always be thinking about fashion!! I had a blast on the bike and was very happy out there!!

Push it more...are you seeing the theme here?!?! But seriously, I am happy with my bike portion!
Transition 2
  • 02m 35s

Remember my visor!
Run
  • 1h 13m 2s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

When I started running I felt so much pain in my legs that I was worried that it was going to be bad. The fronts of my shins were screaming at me which is typical if I run and fly too close together but since I flew on Friday I figured it would have been okay. So, I told the legs to be quiet and we kept going. There were more hills than what I had thought there would be so I walked those. But I was slower than where my running has been. I knew going into this that my running was somewhat lacking but no because of my lack of consistency but more so because I have been focusing on the HR method so my distances have been shorter but on an up note I did not walk nearly as much as what I normally would have. Also, I ended up meeting NealPhelps from Bt on the run! We were running about the same pace and we just started chatting up a storm! Also, another women comment on my running skirt! LOL!!!

Put together a better plan for the run.
Post race
Warm down:

I stretched and walked around.

Event comments:

I had a fun time at the race overall and I was told that I always had a smile on my face! I was pretty hard on myself afterwards and then I decided to let up. This was only my second triathlon and my first in almost two years and this was a C race for me. In addition, I only started being consistent in my training 8 weeks ago. I am looking forward to the rest of the season and have a century ride and 3 more triathlons and possibly a half mary. I guess some of us just get a late start sometimes. I now know where my areas of focus need to be...swimming and running, but I cannot let up on the bike. The best part of the weekend was meeting so many people from bt! I think it is great how this site brings so many people together! Thanks Ron and Marma! Also, big thanks Dollar for letting me borrow the bike and being a great jockstrapper! Also, it was very interesting to be in a humid climate! That is one that I am not used to...I remember thinking "why am I not dried off from the swim yet"! I do think it is amazing the things we not only learn about triathlons at races but also the things we learn about ourselves! I know I learned more about who I am as a person and I definitely grew as a person over the weekend!

Last updated: 2007-05-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:01 | 1500 meters | 02m 28s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/55
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: This was down river but I personally did not feel any type of current and I don't think my time reflects one. Also, the transition area was up a long stair case and the timing mat was at the top of the stair case.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:51
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:35:41 | 24.85 miles | 15.58 mile/hr
Wind: Some
Course: This course was up on the freeway! Crazy I tell you. I thought the road conditions were a little sketchy in some parts and I was a little leary of potholes. I was also surprised that some of the cars did not slow down or drive in the far right lane (we had the left lane). There were no aid stations but I did not need any.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:35
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:13:02 | 06.21 miles | 11m 46s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: I thought the run was really nice. It was scenic and shaded in a lot of parts which was great because it was starting to get hot out there!
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-17 9:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Somewhere in your dreams
Subject: Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon

2007-07-17 9:57 AM
in reply to: #889014

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-07-17 10:04 AM

Elite
Texas
Subject: RE: Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon
Great job Gina! That's an awesome race after 8 weeks of structured training! I think you're off to a great (late ) start to the season!
2007-07-17 10:18 AM
in reply to: #889046

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-07-17 10:39 AM

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut

Hey Gina - First of all great race, as you rightly say you have really only been training consistently for the last 8 weeks so impressive to go out there and do an Oly as your first real tri of the season.

When I looked at your results before your RR report was up three things stood out to me. 1/ Your swimming has improved immensly in a short time. Great job. 2/ Great bike especially on a borrowed bike. 3/ Your run time was way below what you are capable of I guess a factor of borrowed bike and a hilly course.

Olympic distances and above require a strong run and this is where the most time can be made up and lost. Suggest you might want to start doing one brick a week straight after your long cycle. Get off and push the 1st 10 minutes in zone 4 (Will ensure on race day you get of the bike and legs are ready to go) and then scale back for a nice 20 mins in Zone 1 & 2. This will stimulate race conditions and make you strong and dead fast off the bike.  Make sure of you do this though your rest day is the next day or it is a swim day.

Great work Gina....... 

2007-07-17 11:42 AM

Master
Houston
Excellent job, Gina. Congratulations!

2007-07-17 12:22 PM

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
I didn't realize that was your first tri in a few years. Congrats on a strong race. I don't know how well I'd function after flying in, borrowing a bike, and then flying out - so I give you lots of kudos for doing all that with a huge smile on your face. It was great to meet you. Maybe our tri or cycling paths will cross again some time.
2007-07-17 12:31 PM

Expert
Pittsburgh

Great job Gina!  That's a great way to train for other races as well with all that you learned!

Funny thing that humidity, isn't it?  You do actually sweat!!

Not surprised about the smile on your face! Smile

2007-07-17 2:09 PM

Regular
Denver, CO (Cheeseman Park area)
Wow - for being only a "C" race, you certainly went after it! Congrats to ya, G - you paced it well, performed fantastically, and I think you really set yourself up for success in the rest of your races this year. You're going to do great out there!!

Edited by dennyf 2007-07-17 2:09 PM
2007-07-17 2:22 PM

Champion
Nashville, TN
Great RR.  I really am proud of you for competing at this level on borrowed gear.  Your training is coming together really well and it is beginning to show.  Congrats!!!
2007-07-17 2:58 PM

Gina,
great race,espcially with the borrowed bike. My hurts just thinking about doing that.

2007-07-17 3:29 PM

Extreme Veteran
Crossville, TN
Great job on 8 weeks training.
2007-07-17 9:49 PM

Veteran
North Dakota
Great job on Gina!! That's awesome that you traveled that far for a triathlon!! Keep up the great work!!
2007-07-18 6:17 AM

Champion
Sydney
Yay Gina! Great to hear you are seeing hte improvement from all that hard work swimming
2007-07-18 1:13 PM
in reply to: #890652

Master
Woodstock, GA
Nice race Gina.  It was a pleasure to meet you while during the race.  Maybe you can make it back again next year and help me through the run.
2007-07-18 3:06 PM

gina,

i think you did awesome for being off for so long and dealing with all you did!   great job! again, it was great meeting you!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon Rss Feed