Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Gay couples and adoption Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2007-07-18 10:30 AM
in reply to: #891059

User image

Buttercup
Subject: RE: Gay couples and adoption

mr2tony - 2007-07-18 11:15 AM I just wanna drop a line to say kudos to DonTracy for being the seemingly lone dissenter in this thread and not flipping out from all the attacks on his beliefs. By now I'd be challenging people to pistols at 20 paces.

I don't think this is a fair assessment of the exchange at all. The only "attack" on Don's belief has been a couple of tongue-in-cheek comments that he is wrong.

His logic and reasoning are being challenged. His assertion that natural/religious law should be the basis for making civil law is being challenged. His (mis)use of words. His slippery slope argument.

But as for his beliefs, I don't think it's fair to say they are being attacked. Did anybody attack Don for saying sex outside of marriage is immoral (one of his beliefs)? Don't think so.

2007-07-18 10:35 AM
in reply to: #891110

User image

Master
Renee - 2007-07-18 10:30 AM

mr2tony - 2007-07-18 11:15 AM I just wanna drop a line to say kudos to DonTracy for being the seemingly lone dissenter in this thread and not flipping out from all the attacks on his beliefs. By now I'd be challenging people to pistols at 20 paces.

I don't think this is a fair assessment of the exchange at all. The only "attack" on Don's belief has been a couple of tongue-in-cheek comments that he is wrong.

His logic and reasoning are being challenged. His assertion that natural/religious law should be the basis for making civil law is being challenged. His (mis)use of words. His slippery slope argument.

But as for his beliefs, I don't think it's fair to say they are being attacked. Did anybody attack Don for saying sex outside of marriage is immoral (one of his beliefs)? Don't think so.

Well said.
2007-07-18 10:36 AM
in reply to: #891091

User image

Buttercup

MUL98 - 2007-07-18 11:25 AM
dontracy - 2007-07-18 10:07 AM
I'm running short on time here, but I will give a quick response. The reason we have marriage in modern society is because people want it. There are peronal rewards to be had from entering in to that type of commitment with another person. In essence it is the state's recognition of the individual choice to express the desire to be with another person through a binding contract. It is really just a form of contract law. The marriage contract is also a convenient/good method through which to deal with property rights, healthcare decisions etc... For some people it is also a method by which to bind each other togeher in parenthood.

Here's what my state has to say about marriage: it's a legal partnership, not unlike a corporate partnership. With a legal partnership comes rights and obligations with respect to property, revenue (income), liability (debt), distribution of income and property.  A partial from the Clerk of the Circuit Court's "Family Law Handbook:"

MARRIAGE IS A LEGAL RELATIONSHIP

When two people marry they form both a social and an economic partnership. That partnership does not need to be renewed every year, as you would a car registration. Rather, it exists until either one party dies or the parties’ marriage is dissolved (divorce). Because the State of Florida has an interest in protecting and maintaining its citizens and in protecting and advancing families, many laws exist that control what will happen to a person's estate when a person dies and that control the process of divorce. In order to dispose of a person's property after death, and in order to end a marriage, court actions may be required. Those actions, in large part, define and are controlled by Florida law.

Persons who are considering marriage may enter into a written agreement that will determine the economic issues between them should the marriage not survive or should one of them die. Generally, such "prenuptial agreements" may create a special contract between the parties that, if properly entered into after full disclosure of financial information by both parties and without undue pressure being applied by one party against the other, can structure the financial aspects of the parties’ divorce. Although a party cannot agree not to receive child support, and cannot contract away temporary financial support during the pendency of an action, you and your spouse can agree, before you get married, to specific distribution plans for assets and liabilities and for specific spousal support (alimony) if the marriage does not work out. A lawyer who handles family law matters can discuss this with you and help you reach these types of agreements.

Edited by Renee 2007-07-18 10:37 AM
2007-07-18 10:39 AM
in reply to: #891119

User image

Champion
Chicago
MUL98 - 2007-07-18 10:35 AM

Well said.

Uhh I was just giving him kudos because he's being cool about it. Don your beliefs are wrong and stupid. There, now someone attacked his beliefs and my post is correct.
2007-07-18 10:43 AM
in reply to: #891130

User image

Master
mr2tony - 2007-07-18 10:39 AM

MUL98 - 2007-07-18 10:35 AM

Well said.

Uhh I was just giving him kudos because he's being cool about it. Don your beliefs are wrong and stupid. There, now someone attacked his beliefs and my post is correct.

well said
2007-07-18 10:48 AM
in reply to: #891130

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC

mr2tony -  Don your beliefs are wrong and stupid. There, now someone attacked his beliefs and my post is correct.

LOL...

Now just get Rick or Marma to move this post before your other one and the universe will be in balance...  

2007-07-18 10:59 AM
in reply to: #889489

User image

Elite
San Jose, CA
I will say that this has been really civil and even fun at times....this debate is always difficult, because basically one person in the end is telling another person, that what they are, and what they do is WRONG.  And no one likes to hear that they are wrong.  Especially when it comes to the very basis for their life.  We shouldn't care.  We should just go about our lives, living and loving, knowing that what we do in life is right and just (at least for us), and not care what other people say, but we, as humans, usually do care what other people, especially people like Don, whom we respect, think and feel about us.  So in order to justify our life, we may feel that we need to show that someone elses life is not just or not RIGHT.  So tempers and emotions fly.  Even now, with as civil as this conversation is, I have that angry feeling in the pit of my stomach, ready to scream out to Don, saying, "Why can't you just let me have the same rights as you, to live my life by being secure with who I love giving me the happiness that you must have in your family." I just want to scream at the world...why is it such a big deal that I love another man (or several other men, but I only do that on weekends....just kidding) Why can't I just live my life with the exact same rights as you with your acceptance.  But at this point in our history, we are not there yet.  We are much closer, but not quite there.
2007-07-18 1:46 PM
in reply to: #891176

User image

runningwoof - Even now, with as civil as this conversation is, I have that angry feeling in the pit of my stomach, ready to scream out to Don...

I can appreciate that.

I've been thinking a lot about something ChrisM wrote to me the other day, about sometimes seeming arrogant. There's some truth to that, and it's something I've been working on for a while. I really don't know yet how to write and talk about issues like this without that kind of tone, and at the same time stay true to my beliefs. It's a work in progress.

So just so you know Michael/runningwolf, and Hollis/Possum, and anyone else out there who feels like screaming at me, I love you right where you're at.

Edited by dontracy 2007-07-18 1:46 PM
2007-07-18 2:01 PM
in reply to: #891511

User image

dontracy - 2007-07-18 11:46 AM

runningwoof - Even now, with as civil as this conversation is, I have that angry feeling in the pit of my stomach, ready to scream out to Don...

I can appreciate that.

I've been thinking a lot about something ChrisM wrote to me the other day, about sometimes seeming arrogant. There's some truth to that, and it's something I've been working on for a while. I really don't know yet how to write and talk about issues like this without that kind of tone, and at the same time stay true to my beliefs. It's a work in progress.

So just so you know Michael/runningwolf, and Hollis/Possum, and anyone else out there who feels like screaming at me, I love you right where you're at.

Hey, are you stalking me????

Hate the sin, love the sinner type of thing? [presumptively assuming you think homosexuality is a sin]

2007-07-18 2:05 PM

User image

Master
dontracy - 2007-07-18 1:46 PM

I've been thinking a lot about something ChrisM wrote to me the other day, about sometimes seeming arrogant. There's some truth to that, and it's something I've been working on for a while.

Don,

For what it's worth I don't think you come off as arrogant. (Wrong but not arrogant.) Of course I'm frequently accused of the same thing so I may not be the best judge.

Bill
2007-07-18 2:14 PM
in reply to: #891000

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2007-07-18 3:07 PM

Champion
Wisconsin
dontracy - 2007-07-18 1:46 PM

I can appreciate that.

See, now, Don, THAT sounds really condescending. I am sure you don;t mean it to, but it sounds like "I love you where you are at (and am praying that you'll eventually be where I am....)" or some other variation.

I love me where I am at too. It is my faith that has me where I am, and I thank God for that. I don;t need to scream at you, I have plenty of allies to do that.

I am under enormous pressure to be respectful, well behaved, etc, as I might be the only gay person many BTers has ever "met" and what I do and say reflects, to some, my entire community.

Your love for me is small consolation for the mean way you categorize/consider me and who I fundamentally am, Thanks be to God. The idea that you know what is best for me, personally and for our country is hurtful. Incredibly hurtful. But I guess I could just get over it by being straight, (insulting God in the worst way by denying who He made me to be)and converting to your brand of natural law and/or Christianity.

Edited by possum 2007-07-18 3:12 PM
2007-07-18 3:28 PM
in reply to: #891669

possum -

Your love for me is small consolation for the mean way you categorize/consider me and who I fundamentally am, Thanks be to God.

So how should someone who holds beliefs such as mine express them without being "mean"?  Or is it that simply having these beliefs is "mean"? 

2007-07-18 3:36 PM
in reply to: #891710

Champion
Wisconsin
dontracy - 2007-07-18 3:28 PM
possum -

Your love for me is small consolation for the mean way you categorize/consider me and who I fundamentally am, Thanks be to God.

So how should someone who holds beliefs such as mine express them without being "mean"? Or is it that simply having these beliefs is "mean"?

I think that's the point. Meanness, (a word I settled on after a zillion others like inferior, ) just is what it is.

But that whole love thing?  Nah.  You don't love, you fear. 

2007-07-18 3:45 PM
in reply to: #891723

possum -

I think that's the point. Meanness, (a word I settled on after a zillion others like inferior, ) just is what it is.

But that whole love thing? Nah. You don't love, you fear.

OK, so if I disagree with you, then I'm mean. (or some similar word

And when I say I love, what I really mean is that I fear.

That about sum it up? 

2007-07-18 3:56 PM

Champion
Wisconsin
I retract everything i have ever said on the subject. I am angry and it is not a good idea for me to continue to engage.

2007-07-18 4:02 PM
in reply to: #891773

possum - I am angry and it is not a good idea for me to continue to engage.

Fair enough. 

2007-07-18 4:07 PM
in reply to: #891745

Pro
St Charles, IL
dontracy - 2007-07-18 3:45 PM
possum -

But that whole love thing? Nah. You don't love, you fear.

OK, so if I disagree with you, then I'm mean. (or some similar word)

And when I say I love, what I really mean is that I fear.

That about sum it up?

Disagreement is one thing.

Pursuing and supporting legislation that is fundamentally anti-gay, is mean.

2007-07-18 4:13 PM

Elite
San Jose, CA
Don, I did not mean to say that I would scream at you in anger ..but out of frustration that you don't understand what it is like.  It is very hard to stand and hear someone say that you are less than they are, because of natural law, when you know in your heart, soul and whole being that you were made this way for a reason.  You can feel in your bones that you were not a mistake.  And yet, you have someone tell you that every thing you are is a mistake...and because of that, you don't get the same privledges as the rest of society.  
2007-07-18 4:16 PM
in reply to: #890922

Elite
Venture Industries,
Renee - 2007-07-18 10:23 AM
coredump - 2007-07-18 10:15 AM

In other news, hooray for my hometown:

Oak Park trustees back same-sex civil unions in Illinois

Tribune staff report
Published July 17, 2007, 10:03 PM CDT

With a unanimous vote by the Village Board on a resolution this week, Oak Park became the first municipality to support pending legislation that would establish civil unions for same-sex couples in Illinois.

House Bill 1826, known as the Religious Freedom and Civil Unions Act, would establish civil unions for same-sex couples, allowing them access to pension and insurance benefits, inheritance rights and to have legal standing to make medical decisions for their partner.

It's a start.

That is awesome!

I really believe these odious DOMA laws will be reversed over time, just like prohibition was.

GREAT NEWS!!!!!

I like the way they articulated the point of marriage/civil unions - property rights, health insurance benefits, and medical decision making rights.

This isn't weighing in one one side or another, but the rights outlined are in most jurisdictions are open to gay couples.  In Florida persuant to Florida statute you can designate anyone to be your medical serogate to make medical decisions for you including end of life decisions, you just have to execute the appropriate document.  Additionally, inheritance rights have always been obtainable for gay partners it's called a will, and you can leave anything to anyone (or anything, leave everything to your cat, it's legal), but again it's simply a matter of executing the appropriate legal documents.  Many states now already allow for designation of  insurance beneficiaries to any person, again simply formalizing your beneficiarie.  So for the majority of rights that are claimed to be denied, are actually available, it's simply a matter of getting off your a$% and executing the appropriate legal documents: a will, a medical surogate and limited power of medical proxy, listing your insurance beneficiarie.  I conceed that health insurance as a family plan isn't available, but likewise it isn't available to smae sex partners that aren't married.

So I've often thought that this denial of rights thing isn't actually all that accurate.  No if the right people are talking about is simply the right to have a relationship and have it called a "marriage" and recognized by the state, for whatever that's worth, than say that.

2007-07-18 4:30 PM
in reply to: #889961

Elite
Venture Industries,
MUL98 - 2007-07-17 5:11 PM
dontracy - 2007-07-17 3:34 PM
possum - 2007-07-17 3:04 PM

(and if there is actually someone on BT who thinks I should NOT be allowed to adopt, please, feel free to tell me why it is better for children to remain parentless )

Hollis, I respect you enough to give you my honest opinion.

I just popped in for a second, so I won't be able to respond in detail with what I'm about to write until probably tomorrow sometime.

As I told you in a PM a while back, I know and have been friends with a number of "gay" families through the years. And I've seen the good side and the troubling side of their work at raising children. As far as adopting goes, I'm still deciding. But since I wrote to you last about this, I'm leaning toward being against gay adoption.

Here's a basic argument for some opponents of gay adoption.

• The very definition of marriage, based in natural law, is that it is a two-in-one flesh union of one man and one woman.

• Any type of sex outside of this marital union is immoral.

• The state has a right to regulate marriage.

• The state has a stake in the birth and rearing of children.

• The state therefore has a right to regulate adoptions.

• By allowing gay adoptions, the state is in fact sanctioning gay marriage. (This strategy to get gay marriage on the books was recently used in New Jersey. When the issue of gay marriage first came up, opponents were told that it had nothing to do with gay marriage and everything to do with children. Later, when the issue of gay marriage came up, opponents were then told that since the state already allowed gay adoptions, gay marriage had everything to do with the welfare of the children. )

• Since sex outside of the marital union of one man and one woman is immoral, children within a gay adoption scenario are being taught that other forms of sexual relations are moral, when in fact they are not.

• The coupling of the issue of gay adoption with the issue of children needing to be adopted is a strawman. The needs of children waiting to be adopted is a separate issue.

That's basically it. I think it's a pretty strong argument.

I started responding to this about 5 different times, and I'm not sure it's worth the effort. It's sad to me that there are still people who believe gay couples should not be allowed to adopt, but unfortunately not surprising. I will just say this - I would really appreciate it if proponents of "natural law," religious voodoo and other beliefs based in absolute "morality" would keep their beliefs away from our laws.

If I'm correct you're an attorney...if laws aren't to be based up notions of "morality" then what are they in fact based upon?  All laws are based on notions of "morality" one way or another.    I've never really understood this type of argument, and I've heard it often.  The arguement that laws shouldn't be based upon "morality" it doesn't make any sense to me.  In my experience when these arguments are made it's really an argument about the specific "morality" that is being demonstrated.  Typically when the notions of morality mirror the notions of morality of the speaker there is no argument against laws being based upon morality.

2007-07-18 4:47 PM

Elite
Venture Industries,

ANd for the record too many kids in orphanages and foster care, if they can be given a loving family, traditional marriage, single person or same sex, great. 

I believe that the liberalism of the 70's lead to a acceptance of having children out of wedlock.  This "acceptance" removed many, if not most, of the negative conotations of having children out of wedlock.  Those negative conotations did serve a purpose, there was a deterent effect in the 50s and 60s about getting pregnant.  That seems to have disappeared.

Does that make sense?  Does it seem too harsh?  I'm not arguing for branding single mothers with a scarlet letter, or institutionalizing girls that get pregnant.  I'm just thinking out loud.  The number of unwed mothers has increased as has the number of actual children in orphanges and foster care.  There most be some cause for the increase.  I believe one (1) (one of many) contributing factor is the removal of the negative conotations of having a child out of wedlock. 

2007-07-18 4:52 PM
in reply to: #891825

Mountain View, CA

This isn't weighing in one one side or another, but the rights outlined are in most jurisdictions are open to gay couples. In Florida persuant to Florida statute you can designate anyone to be your medical serogate to make medical decisions for you including end of life decisions, you just have to execute the appropriate document. Additionally, inheritance rights have always been obtainable for gay partners it's called a will, and you can leave anything to anyone (or anything, leave everything to your cat, it's legal), but again it's simply a matter of executing the appropriate legal documents. Many states now already allow for designation of insurance beneficiaries to any person, again simply formalizing your beneficiarie. So for the majority of rights that are claimed to be denied, are actually available, it's simply a matter of getting off your a$% and executing the appropriate legal documents: a will, a medical surogate and limited power of medical proxy, listing your insurance beneficiarie. I conceed that health insurance as a family plan isn't available, but likewise it isn't available to smae sex partners that aren't married.

So I've often thought that this denial of rights thing isn't actually all that accurate. No if the right people are talking about is simply the right to have a relationship and have it called a "marriage" and recognized by the state, for whatever that's worth, than say that.

If you ask me, that sounds a lot like "separate but (un)equal," which, as we all know, was struck down by Brown v. Board of Education.

2007-07-18 5:14 PM
in reply to: #891825

Buttercup
ASA22 - 2007-07-18 5:16 PM
Renee - 2007-07-18 10:23 AM

That is awesome!

I really believe these odious DOMA laws will be reversed over time, just like prohibition was.

GREAT NEWS!!!!!

I like the way they articulated the point of marriage/civil unions - property rights, health insurance benefits, and medical decision making rights.

This isn't weighing in one one side or another, but the rights outlined are in most jurisdictions are open to gay couples.  In Florida persuant to Florida statute you can designate anyone to be your medical serogate to make medical decisions for you including end of life decisions, you just have to execute the appropriate document.  Additionally, inheritance rights have always been obtainable for gay partners it's called a will, and you can leave anything to anyone (or anything, leave everything to your cat, it's legal), but again it's simply a matter of executing the appropriate legal documents.  Many states now already allow for designation of  insurance beneficiaries to any person, again simply formalizing your beneficiarie.  So for the majority of rights that are claimed to be denied, are actually available, it's simply a matter of getting off your a$% and executing the appropriate legal documents: a will, a medical surogate and limited power of medical proxy, listing your insurance beneficiarie.  I conceed that health insurance as a family plan isn't available, but likewise it isn't available to smae sex partners that aren't married.

So I've often thought that this denial of rights thing isn't actually all that accurate.  No if the right people are talking about is simply the right to have a relationship and have it called a "marriage" and recognized by the state, for whatever that's worth, than say that.

I don't know how I can be any clearer...

Homosexual couples should have the same right to enter into the marriage contract, and enjoy all the rights and obligations that are conferred upon the married couple, as heterosexual couples have.

When I was married, I didn't have to get offmyass and hire an attorney to draw up this, that and the other document to ascertain my rights to assets and liabilities and decision making powers. I think homosexual couples should be able to secure the same rights and obligations, in the same manner, as I had/have.

Don't know why that is so hard to understand.

If I want to drive to Atlanta, my destination, I get on I-75 and go north. It's like saying if a homosexual wants to reach that same destination, they can but they have to jump on I4, then go north on I95 then cut across to....

Edited by Renee 2007-07-18 5:32 PM
2007-07-18 5:57 PM
in reply to: #891925

Giver
Renee - 2007-07-18 6:14 PM

If I want to drive to Atlanta, my destination, I get on I-75 and go north. It's like saying if a homosexual wants to reach that same destination, they can but they have to jump on I4, then go north on I95 then cut across to....

About this time someone's gonna quote some Frost... 

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Gay couples and adoption Rss Feed  

of 8