Team Magic
85F / 29C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 00m 16s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 30/55
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early. Ate half a bagel w/ peanut butter and drove to race site. I drank a boost 40 minutes before what was supposed to be the strat of the race and then a gu as I was in line to start.
Event warmup:

No warm up.
Swim
  • 37m 49s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 19s / 100 yards
Comments:

Oh, wow. So obviously I didn't have a good swim. Not even close. And I knew it the whole time I was swimming. I kept thinking where is this magic current everyone spoke of because I felt like I was swimming still. I struggled to really keep any sort form and well it showed. The water was really choppy and I just got more frustrated with time. I was getting passed by everyone out there and that was not a good feeling. Like in all my races thus far I just keep telling myself to make it out of the water and you'll be ready to race. I want to be racing from the start..I need help.
What would you do differently?:

Don't get frustrated because it only makes me swim slower or that's my excuse. I really don't know what I would have done differently but I know what I would like to do different and that's swim faster. But that isn't going to happen without some serious work.
Transition 1
  • 01m 32s
Comments:

I felt pretty efficient here although I'm sure I could get this time down. I did have a little trouble getting my bike off the rack but nothing that was more than a few seconds.

Maybe try not to wear socks but I don't think I'm ready for that just yet.
Bike
  • 1h 28m 6s
  • 25.8 miles
  • 17.57 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike went well..better than expected. I felt strong throughout the entire ride. The miles went by quickly. I really pushed it (for me) on the uphills and tried to keep a decent pace for as long as I could. Really this was a good ride and there's not much else to say about it, which is unlike me :)

Not much other than try to push a little harder.
Transition 2
  • 01m 11s
Comments:

I could be better at racking my bike. Other than that same as T1..I'm sure I could improve just not top priority (given my heinus swim time)

Nothing that I can think of.
Run
  • 51m 36s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

The run seemed a little long..the miles didn't come as fast as on the bike but really it was a decent run. Especially since I had to pee the entire time. I really need to work on that. I gave my run a good effort but had I known how close I was to breaking 3 hours I definitely could have given it just a little more. It got super hot and sunny on my way back in and I was so glad to get to the arctic zone for one of those cold wet towels. The rest of the run really was all about getting back so I could pee. I thought about stopping a bunch but I'm glad I didn't.

Push harder in the between miles (2-4) Not settle into a more comfortable pace.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much. A beer and hanging out with friends.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My attitude. I get so frustrated in the water that when I come out it takes me a little while to get back into WANTING to race. I had a hard time on this swim and it made me feel like why was I even doing this because I suck so bad (at the swim) Stupid I know. I realize that is a self defeating attitude and I won't be a debbie downer. Just need to work on my swim.

Event comments:

The race was great. The only complaint is it not starting on time and pushing my start time back to 9am which is really late for an oly. I will definitely do this race again. Hopefully next year the current will be a bit stronger. :)

Last updated: 2007-06-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:49 | 1640 yards | 02m 19s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/55
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Suit:
Course: Point to point in the TN River. The water was definitely choppy..and not just a little. This may be exaggerated due to my serious lack of swim ability but nevertheless I felt like I was being slapped in the face the entire swim.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 83F / 28C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:32
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:28:06 | 25.8 miles | 17.57 mile/hr
Wind: Some
Course: Basically out and back on a highway through the Mountains. A difficult course with long stretches of uphills and downhills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:11
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:51:36 | 06.21 miles | 08m 19s  min/mile
Course: Out and back along the Riverfront. Very nice.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-17 1:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Subject: Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon

2007-07-17 2:11 PM
in reply to: #889523

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA
Subject: RE: Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon
It sounds like you and I both needed an attitude adjustment on this course! Great job on a tough course and DANG you can run! I think I remember seeing you flying by me on the run, no wonder it looked like you were going fast. Great job!
2007-07-17 2:42 PM

Great race, espcially on the run. I was wondering what happened to the current the entire race too. I was 5 minutes slower this year on the swim from last years race. Great race.
2007-07-17 2:55 PM

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Good job on your race. I'm sorry you didn't quite break the 3 hour mark, but you still did awesome, especially considering you were coming down with a cold. I've run too many tris having to pee the entire run... it sucks but you still had a great run. You've got to learn to pee while riding, that way your nice and "fresh" for the run.
2007-07-17 2:56 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
Great race Aimster! Season one is turning out better than I think you ever expected. Get that swim squared away, and you will be a force to be rekoned with. Your run time is excellent. Keep up the great training. Also, just pee on the damn bike. I'm sure Frankie won't mind.
2007-07-17 5:47 PM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Great job out there on a difficult course

2007-07-17 8:20 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
Great job in Chattanooga- you looked very strong when I saw you on the run.  Don't worry about your swim, just keep at it and it'll get easier!! 
2007-07-18 3:02 PM

User image

wow! 3 hours! you have come a long way amy in a very short time. talk about natural talent!
2007-07-18 3:02 PM

User image

wow! 3 hours! you have come a long way amy in a very short time. talk about natural talent!
2007-07-18 4:14 PM

Regular
Bangalore, Karnataka
I hear you about the 3 hr mark ! I was lucky to somehow just get under it and through the entire sucky bike ride i kept telling myself 'faster faster.. need to get under 3'

One question though - when i look at your splits they look quite close to mine - your run is faster and bike and swim slightly slower - but no way are those adding up to 3hr 16min? Am I reading something wrong ?

You ran a great race and no need to psyche yourself out in the beginning.. i am planning to really work on my swim now as i have started feeling comfortable about the bike and run..

Avinash
2007-07-18 10:27 PM

User image

Austell, GA

Great race report, your flying on the run. The swim will come with more practice.

OHHH, PEE on Frankie....he won't care.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon Rss Feed