General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Special Athena/Clydesdale racing Issues Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-07-17 9:06 PM

Veteran
Subject: Special Athena/Clydesdale racing Issues
Power to weight ratio on hills
Slow, slow running
People on Schwinns from 1908 passing me on fat tires and sneakers.
What are your issues?

writers2

2007-07-17 10:22 PM
in reply to: #890402

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
Subject: RE: Special Athena/Clydesdale racing Issues

Hydration/fueling
Hill climbing
Prone to lower leg running injuries

All of these things should improve tremendously as the weight continues to come off.

2007-07-17 10:45 PM
in reply to: #890504

Regular
The OC
My first brick workout on Sunday.
Me on a mtn bike, THEM (my training group) all on road bikes.
Me - Last and lapped 2 times by some of the fitter gals. At this point I just wanted to turn around and stop, but who was that hurting? ME. So I pushed on.
2007-07-17 11:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Excess sweating leading to various hydration AND electrolyte issues (go gatorade and endurolytes)
Calf cramping despite electrolyte replacement
Chafing in underarms (go bodyglide!)

And last but not least, being slow, hehe.

2007-07-17 11:33 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Biggest issue to start was to be brave enough to do one not being thin and pretty out of shape....you guys are all brave.....

The one thing I dislike about Athena is you can have a 6 foot women with 12% body fat competing against me and she is 22 and I'm 45. We debate this a lot....are athena/clydes fair categories? Then some areas of the country do 40+ and 39 & under which I like obviously.

Current racing issue:
Tight clothing  that fits & is attractive on a body with bulges here and there
Passing folks on the bike, onlyto be passed by tons of folks on the run & rarely passing one person on the run..for me I think weight really slows me down running
Body Glide is my friend on every ride & race!
Knowing I'd be faster if I was thinner
Knowing if I lose 12 pounds I won't be an Athena anymore and will never place in a tri again
Accepting that my body type wasn't really meant for speed...cycling withstanding

2007-07-18 12:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ

massive leg cramps during the 10K on an Olympic distance race.

staying hydrated

finding the right supplement combination

loosing the WEIGHT - would love to get somewhere near 200 

2007-07-18 1:05 AM

User image

SoCal
Running is a huge issue for me -- I've had bad feet since I was a little kid, and now I have bad knees to match. I'd be hard pressed to find a tendon from the knees down that hasn't given me some kind of trouble since I started running.

Biking is slow and difficult, too, but not as painful. When I switched from a mountain bike to a flat-bar road bike, the difference in bike weight was astounding--I was actually able to start keeping up with friends who had previously been a ton faster than me. Imagine if I could have taken 20 pounds off my as well as my bike

Oh, and I'd sure like to have some cuter tri suit options. Danskin tried to do some pretty things, but their designs are decals that will peel off pretty fast. I'm stuck with solid black until I either lose about 40 pounds or someone manufactures a nice, roomy, and adorable suit for me.

2007-07-18 7:04 AM
in reply to: #890568

User image

Pro
Without house
KathyG - 2007-07-17 11:33 PM

Biggest issue to start was to be brave enough to do one not being thin and pretty out of shape....you guys are all brave.....

The one thing I dislike about Athena is you can have a 6 foot women with 12% body fat competing against me and she is 22 and I'm 45. We debate this a lot....are athena/clydes fair categories? Then some areas of the country do 40+ and 39 & under which I like obviously.

Ok, I'm probably going to be really unpopular for saying this, and I'm sorry in advance. Isn't the 6 ft tall woman w/ 12% body fat (who will never be able to get below 150 lbs no matter what she does, yet still has other speed issues to hurdle such as gravity shifts) and the 6'5" man who will never weigh less then 200lbs until he's dead the main reasons these catergories were invented?  What I guess I'm saying is, please don't be mad at these people...they're why we have the catergories to begin with.

I am Athena. I will always BE athena. I'm currently overweight (6'1" 240ish pounds), but even at my goal weight, I won't even be close to 150 lbs (my weight range is 190-147...I'm shooting for the high end). But the reason I race Athena when I can (because not every race has it) is because I will always be in that catergory.

This is not to be taken as inflammatory (and I hope its not). It's just what I think about.

My race issues? I'm slower then a slug (but improving...this is my first season...I'm really going to work on building this winter).

Oh, and then need to make "Athena" size women's wetsuits that are for someone taller then 6 ft. Have you ever noticed that the "athena" sizes stop at 5'11" or something like that?

Edited by maggyruth 2007-07-18 7:07 AM
2007-07-18 7:55 AM
in reply to: #890693

User image

Master

I agree. At 6'3"  240 and 27.5% bf I was overweight.  At 6'3" 207 and 21% bf (my current weight) I am still slightly overweight but markedly improved. I run faster and find climbing on the bike "easier"... 

At 200 and 19% bf (my goal) I will still have "special racing issues" (the title of this thread by the way) that a 170 pound guy does not have. I will still be dragging 30 more pounds around than him, I will still require more nutrition on long course events, etc.

I will be considered  in a healthy weight range yet will still qualify for clydesdale. The category is not about your fitness level, it is about your size. I am a big guy. At 170 I would be skin and bones. At 200, I think I will look pretty darn good and will probably still race clydesdale occasionally. 

FWIW I did not choose the clydesdale option for IMCDA 2008. 

2007-07-18 9:07 AM

User image

I'm 6'2 and 245 (from 260), I still have the spare tire, but it's getting smaller. Here is my two cents. If you look at the sport, the majority of BEGINNER TRIATHLETES (sometimes we forget that in this web page) will never be a top overall finisher. We all want to get faster and spend more time training. We have jobs, kids, family obligations and stuff! I started getting into the sport because i didn't want to get into another larger sized pair of pants! i like that workouts can rotate and not get bored with it. I met some wonderful people through this site and overall it is the best thing that I have done for myself. Here are my issues...

Hills, going up is a drag, but going down we all have more inertia! Yeah!
Nutrition, why do things that are bad for your diet taste so good?
Tri-tops that don't show the "tire".
More equipment for us normal people.

I am proud of everyone who participates in a tri. Body shape or sizes withstanding, we are all improving our health, mental attitude and we all have a little bit of crazy in us. Keep it up everyone.
2007-07-18 10:08 AM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona
Great issues, everyone!  I want to second the issue of unflattering tri clothes.  Being big and self conscious to begin with, it gets even more so wearing clothes that resemble a sausage casing!  Oh yeah - and hills...

2007-07-18 10:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lewisville

KathyG - 2007-07-17 11:33 PM

This is something I've been thinking about a lot this season. I was a clydes all last season, and dropped weight to where I'm 195-200 lbs. I've raced my AG in the last 3 races and I hate going up against the 150lb guys who just blow past me. There's no way I can compete with them, especially on the run. I haven't done too bad but there's definitely an advantage to being lighter.

The other side is that I don't want to go the clydes group again and be "that guy" who is just barely 200lbs and gets the evil look from the bigger clydes.I know I have the right to compete if I meet the criteria, but I also want to be a good sport about it.

2007-07-18 1:48 PM
in reply to: #891056

User image

Sensei
Sin City

First my issues:

Hills, wind, hills, equipment that fits, hills, and finally, HILLS!

Next:
With regards to the other discussion. I like hardware just as much as anyone. I got plenty during track in high school (some eons ago) and I miss it to some degree. But I race for ME, not for awards. Maybe I will feel a little different if I start turning in those kind of times. But until then, if someone wants to "cheat" and put themselves in clydes when they don't belong - let them. Their life must be SO empty that if a cheap plaque that they had to lie to get makes them feel better, they must really be unhappy and need it way more than me.

I also think to race in Clydes/Athena is a personal choice. Some people complain about the tall and fit going into this category. I'm 6'8" and 230 w/ about 20%-23% body fat. I will NEVER be under 200. I just look at myself compared to overall winners, they tend to be under 6' and around 170 to 180 I would guess. I will NEVER get the times they can and there is just problems of moving the extra 50 to 60 lbs. I don't care how fit you are!!!

So the overweight clydes are going to get mad at the tall/fit clydes that are still over 200 in that category, and the fit clydes are going to get mad at the borderline clydes (195 to 205) and they, in turn, are going to be mad at those who lie to get into the category. NOTHING is going to make everyone happy.

For me - I like to be fare and competitive. I am a clyde and look for the chance to be put in that category. So far, I have been a MOPer and not close to an award. I will stay in this category. If I loose weight and I get close to 200 AND I start winning. I will give other clydes a chance and put myself in the AG class to see how I would stand up to them just for the extra push of competition. I don't care about plaques, trophies or awards (now, if $$$ is envolved! - wink!) I do this for me AND just a chance to be a part of a positive thing which includes groups like this!
2007-07-18 4:04 PM

User image

Veteran
My bike quasi-coach Matt aka 'Satan' says I must say daily (and believe the following):

I love hills.
The wind is like a never-ending hill, therefore I love the wind.
Since I love the wind and hills so much, I must to both often.

Suprisingly, I've started to believe it.
2007-07-18 4:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Greensboro, NC
Perhaps it would be interesting to think about a new category based more on BMI (not that BMI is a great measurement, but it's a thought). I'm 4'11" with a goal weight of 150 (which will put me with just enough bodyfat to have a functioning female body....I'll always be Athena :-)
2007-07-18 4:17 PM
in reply to: #891800

User image

Sensei
Sin City
sf_biggestloser - 2007-07-18 2:04 PM

My bike quasi-coach Matt aka 'Satan' says I must say daily (and believe the following):

I love hills.
The wind is like a never-ending hill, therefore I love the wind.
Since I love the wind and hills so much, I must to both often.

Suprisingly, I've started to believe it.

Sounds like a sick, twisted, cult!

LOVE hills? NEVER! But what if I HATE them SOOO much that I want to kick their a$$ and bike/run them into submission?!?! Same goes for the wind.....

I'm just play'n. I hate how slow I go up the hills, but I LOVE the challenge. I can always look over my shoulder and say "I did that". I was never part of the downhill set in MTN biking. I loved to climb. At least that way, I knew I was doing something good for me - that and I always crashed going downhill!

2007-07-18 8:00 PM

User image

Mountain View, CA
KathyG - 2007-07-17 9:33 PM

Look at it this way: the 6' woman with 12% body fat still has to haul 150+ lbs up the same hills you do. And she might be 6'/150lbs with very little body fat, but also very little muscle--her strength-to-weight ratio might be lower than yours. And maybe she's less buoyant on the swim! Aaaaand her heart has to pump her blood through more miles of blood vessels. See, it's not all bad.

Honestly, I don't have strong feelings one way or another on the athena/clydes categories. I'm 5'11"/165lbs and I race AG for no particular reason. But I'm one of those women who will never (healthily) weigh less than 150 lbs. My frame's just not designed for me to weigh that little.

As for racing issues, my biggest one right now is finding a wetsuit that fits. I have quite broad shoulders for a girl, and whenever I wear my wetsuit it feels like my arm's range of motion is severely restricted, such that each stroke is a struggle. I'd go with men's wetsuits, but I've also got hips, so... that doesn't work.

And yes, the sausage casing aspect of tri clothes is... unfortunate. Not such a big fan, personally. 

2007-07-18 8:35 PM
in reply to: #891826

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-07-18 8:47 PM
in reply to: #891826

Pro
Without house

Aikidoman - 2007-07-18 4:17 PM
sf_biggestloser - 2007-07-18 2:04 PM My bike quasi-coach Matt aka 'Satan' says I must say daily (and believe the following): I love hills. The wind is like a never-ending hill, therefore I love the wind. Since I love the wind and hills so much, I must to both often. Suprisingly, I've started to believe it.
Sounds like a sick, twisted, cult! LOVE hills? NEVER! But what if I HATE them SOOO much that I want to kick their a$$ and bike/run them into submission?!?! Same goes for the wind..... I'm just play'n. I hate how slow I go up the hills, but I LOVE the challenge. I can always look over my shoulder and say "I did that". I was never part of the downhill set in MTN biking. I loved to climb. At least that way, I knew I was doing something good for me - that and I always crashed going downhill!

"Hills: It's what's for dinner"

I actually tend to be more afraid of the downhill cuz I'm not comfortable yet with the speed my mass + gravity provides me.  The highest I've allowed myself is 27mph, I believe. 

2007-07-18 10:42 PM

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Bike sucks. It is really really erally bad. nothing more scarier than the bike. sure a fall in clipless pedals is not bad for a lightee but a cylesdale it really hurts. I fell once and I had swelling on my arm the size of a baseball for 1 week. I could not crib anything with my hand for about 1 week. All of that from a fall without moving.

Hills about 1% grade over 1 mile is too much for me. have to get off and walk.

Though I love running on the hills. only time I can run super fast. Bike on the downhills is absolute suicide.
2007-07-18 10:50 PM

Master
Pacific Northwest
How about sports bra/support issues? I know there are busty non-Athenas, but would guess more Athenas deal with this issue than smaller gals.
Also, getting comfortable exercising/competing in front of others if you haven't ever been in this sport.

I am really glad to see this forum. Thanks!

2007-07-19 5:05 AM
in reply to: #892172

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-07-19 8:33 AM

Master
My biggest issue is cycling. Trying to move 230+ lbs over hills is rough for me, but I'm learning. I know that I have gotten faster, but I would much rather run up a hill than bike up a hill.
2007-07-19 10:35 AM

Expert
Las Vegas, NV

I would concur on this. For a long time, I have made my mind that I hate running, and hate hills. Some good close friends, (the key is to surround ourself with supporting positive minded friends, for forget the other pessimistic slow minded people), that will always encourage us. My best friend from high school told me that I should make this year and next year my primary goal of LOVING HILLS, and LOVING to RUN. And guess what, I'm finally getting there. The hills are still challenging, but I actually love to run now. Even if my mind drifts into a no-no land, I have to concentrate and think light, think faster, and think its easy and fun. It is so amazing what our mind can do. This year, I have dropped my run time by almost 3 1/2 minutes per mile on my runs, and just pushing faster. (The key on running, is get yourself fitted by a knowledgeable person at a good running shoe store, it does make a big difference, trust me, it has for me. Used to have all kind of problems, and know no longer do, or very little. The right shoe makes wonders on legs. Also make sure you stretch you legs, and more than other, the achille and chin's. Those are the most problematic zones I've had in the past.). Biking, is just a thing about learning to find the zone, the cadence that works for you with the gear. Again, as with everything else, it's mastering the skills. Find a runner that can help you. Find a cyclist that is willing to spend some time with you to help you, and same for swimming.

We are Clyd's/Athena's. Let's not be ashamed of who we are, and just get out and ask question. What is someone going to tell you, "I don't have time" "Can't help you" Whoa!! I'm sure not going to let that let me down. Move on and find someone else, find a club, they are out there, and you may just find yourself a new friend. Good luck all!!

2007-07-19 12:48 PM
in reply to: #892099

Sensei
Sin City
maggyruth - 2007-07-18 6:47 PM

I actually tend to be more afraid of the downhill cuz I'm not comfortable yet with the speed my mass + gravity provides me.  The highest I've allowed myself is 27mph, I believe. 

I'm not completely comfortable yet with downhills. At least in the Aero position.
I can do around 30 MPH comfortably, but when I start getting much over 35, I tend to put my hands on the cowhorn and cover the brakes "just in case".

My last race had a HUGE hill and I hit 47mph AND I was still accelerating! There was a cattle guard that I had to cross at the bottom so they put a rubber mat down to let bikers cross, but I was WAY too nervious to hit that at 50+. So, as much as I hated to do it during a race, I braked to about 35 to cross it.

I got up to 60mph once on my MTN bike in Colorado (on the road). That was when I was young and reckless AND it still scared me. I would be more worried if I was on the thin road bike tires....

The only thing that helps with that is going fast. Hit 30 a couple times, and 20 seems easy. Hit 40, and 30 seems easy.

I went 125mph on my motorcycle for a couple minutes - when I droped down to 55, it felt SO SLOW. It felt like I could jump off and run along side the bike! (that was when I was "not so young", but still reckless!)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Special Athena/Clydesdale racing Issues Rss Feed  

of 2