General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New to Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-01-23 8:53 AM

New user

Subject: New to Triathlon
Hi all!!! This is a great web site for finding out info about triathlons. Let me tell ya all a little about my background. ...

I am 31 years old, married, have 2 kids (2 year old and 4 month old). I joined the National Guard about 5 years ago. I transfered to a new guard unit about 2 years ago and I failed my PT test. I also failed the make up tests after that. I then decided to do something about it. I had become pretty lax about getting into shape and I weighed about 220 lbs which is quite heavy for my heigth 5'11". I decided to join the local YMCA about 3 months ago. I have been doing cardio work every other day with lifting weights on the cybex machines inbetween. I have got my weight down to 195 (which is still over weight for my height) but I would like to break 180.

One of my friends in my guard unit read a book about how to train for a triathlon in (I think) 6 weeks and suggested that we should train for and compete in one this summer. I thought wow what a great idea. I train for this and get into the best shape of my life while doing so!!!! The triathlon that I want to compete in, I am not sure about because is one of the x-terra off road tris and I have never done anything off road. Anyone have any experiance at these? Think I should try one on road 1st? I believe this is a sprint distance....1K swim, 20K bike, and 5K run.

I will be ok with the swimming cause I swam in high school (500 yd free) and I have also started a masters swim team at the Y. I am able to keep up with the coach (most of the time). It is now Jan and the tri is in august so I should be in pretty decent shape for the swim by then.

I have only biked a few times in my life. Of course when I was a kid but that doesn't count does it? I bought a DiamondBack Mt bike a few years back but have only ridden it a few times and never for any distance. It isn't anything fancy. It doesn't have the shocks and stuff like that the more expensive bikes have. Right now it is stored in my shed with 2 flat tires!!!!! I will get this fixed intime to start riding this spring. NY winters are harsh!!! Do you all think this bike will be sufficient for the race? Also is training on the cardio bikes at the YMCA this winter be helpfull? I got a one of the cardios a couple of times for about 1/2 each time. I can't remember how far I went on the bike. However I do know that just getting on it and trying one of the preprogrammed worksouts were murder!!! As the resistance increased I could barely push the petals and had to cut the resistance down quite a bit.

As far as running goes, with winter here in NY I usually run 1/2 hour at a time on the tread mill. I usually do an aerobic workout on it where it simulates going up and down hills. I usually cover around 3 miles in each of these work outs. After the run I usually do another 1/2 hour on the elliptical machines. Once the weather breaks (below 0 temperatures is not something I ever desire to be outdoors in) I will be doing alot of my running outdoors.

I think I have pretty good start to training for my 1st triathlon. I am just shooting for to be able to finish the thing and am not worried about placing. Any other suggests about my training will be greatly appreciated!!! I am thinking about trying the Atkins diet since it seems I have reached a plateou (sp) in my weight loss. I am also thinking about trying to go the distance of a triathlon on my own at some point. Ie... swimming about 400 yds, getting out of the pool and jumping on a cardio bike and going for 16 miles and then running on the treadmill for 3 miles. Good idea or not?

Lastly, I commend all of you have done a triathlon or are starting to train for one!!!! It seems like since I decided to try out one this summer I am obsessed with it!! I can't get enough info and I read articles about it daily!!!! Anyway good luck with all your training and good luck in all your races you enter!!!

Krot!

2004-01-23 9:00 AM
in reply to: #4706

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: New to Triathlon

sprint triathlon?...no problem...sounds like u have the distances almost covered...indoor cyling def will not hurt ya...as boring as it is.

several of us have just finished out 'mock' triathlons last month and posted it in the 'your races' section...check em out...would luv to see yours.

welcome to the site!

2004-01-23 9:10 AM

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Welcome Krot! Congrats on your weight loss! With where you are at now, a sprint in Aug should be no problem. For your first tri and not sure if making it a lifestyle, any bike is fine. I'm not sure about the off raod stuff though.
2004-01-23 1:30 PM

User image

Central Louisiana
Welcome and sounds like the swim is under control!
2004-01-24 5:30 AM

New user

Central PA
Welcome to the site, Krot. I myself have a goal to complete my first tri by the end of the summer. Unfortunately, I am not even close to being in the shape I'll need to be in to do it. (Back surgery next week.) I know what you mean about being obsessed!

This is really a great place with great people sharing tons of great information. Good luck with your training.
Troy
2004-01-24 6:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boise Idaho
Welcome! will be doing my first ever race too this summer. and looking forward to it! i think this will be a good summer for all of the newbies getting into this sport! LOOK OUT! HERE WE COME!

2004-01-24 8:00 AM

, Alabama
Welcome to the board. With what you have written in your log, it looks like you're well on your way. Don't know a thing about offroad biking but best of luck.

Sharon
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New to Triathlon Rss Feed