EX2 Adventures
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 15m 23s
Overall Rank = 168/264
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 17/24
Pre-race routine:

My first XTERRA. I woke up at 3:45, shower, race suit, then coffee, cheerios, vitamins, water, left for the two hour drive to Rocky Gap at 4:50. Arrived just before 7:00, lovely drive. Awesome spot for a race! Check-in, set up T, hung out for start. Feeling good. Feeling ready.
Event warmup:

Not much in the way of warmup, just asking people about the bike course. I was still clueless at this point. Totally.
Swim
  • 30m 51s
  • 1320 yards
  • 02m 20s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was ok, not too crowded (there were two waves). I guess the running part in between loops is something you would get used to? Not being a great swimmer, once back on dry land, I really did not want to get back in the water, but they said I had to, so in I went. I did much better on the first loop (about 13 minutes) than on the second loop(about 16 minutes). I had lifted my goggles up for the run. I put them back down and jumped back in the water and they were leaking. So, I turned over on my back, dumped them out, put them back on again, and turned back over to start swimming, and the filled right back up. I repeated the above. Darn, still leaking. I figured that was just the way it was gonna be, so I forgot about trying to fix it and just kept swimming. I could not see very well and felt like I was swimming with my eyes shut most of the time. I thought my course navigation was pretty good in the first loop, in the second loop it was lousy. My time in the second loop refelectd the poor navigation. I didn't feel all that tired. I thought I did ok. Bike time.
What would you do differently?:

Keep my goggles down during the run.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

no T splits
Bike
  • 1h 50m 50s
  • 14 miles
  • 7.58 mile/hr
Comments:

OK, I think I said earlier how clueless I was about the bike course. Yes, I have a mountain bike. Yes, I have ridden my mountain bike. No, I never had it on a mountain. How hard could it be, right? My legs are strong. I can ride pretty fast. I am gonna smoke this piddly 14 mile bike ride. Piece of cake. Uhhhhhh, huh? Hey, where did all those boulders come from? Surely we're not supposed to ride over THAT? Gee, sorry, but yes you are. I really thought that I'd do a loop in 40 minutes at the most, but after 30 minutes (and three falls) I had only gone 4 miles. Obviously, it was gonna take longer than what I had planned. I did the first loop in 54.04. Thinking, "who's idea was this anyway", oh, yeah it was mine. I remember before I signed up thinking c'mon let's try an XTERRA. It will be fun. Well, halfway through the second loop (and two more falls) I was in full survival mode, just wanting to finish with me and my bike in one piece. This was the ride from Hell. I saw bikes all along the side of the course, people fixing flats, and whatever else was broken, or just carrying their dead steeds back to the barn. One of my falls was into a killer sticker bush. The back side of my right arm was slashed and punctured and bleeding. They say, it's not a mountain bike ride till someone bleeds. I didn't realize I was here to donate. The sticker bush was nothing compared to the sixth and final fall. With about three miles left, I was making a bid to climb Evitt's Revenge, the monster climb of the course, but came up on walking bike traffic and could not clip out in time and over I went again! BAM! OWWW!! I hit my right knee directly on a rock, full force, and there I lay in the middle of the trail. I couldn't move. I was stuck. My right leg was not only in severe pain, but was pinned under me and the bike. I kept trying to unclip my left leg, but couldn't. I felt like a turtle on its back with no way to turn over. Fortunately, I had some good samaritans on hand. The racer behind me stopped to help (of course, I was blocking most of the path but a pink specialied elite was still able to whiz by - ZOOM!). He lifted my tire so I could pedal and then unclip. Thanks, buddy. I'd probably still be there today if not for you. So, unclipped, and standing, time to see if the leg still works. I am seriously wondering if I'm done. I do race to go as fast as I possibly can. I have had pain, severe cramps and spasms and other issues in previous races, but I believe in the adage that there are only two ways to the finish line - by foot or ambulance and that anything else is just an excuse. Perhaps this finish might need the latter. I was in a lot of pain. Head down, grimacing, breathing heavily, bleeding, I walked my bike for about five minutes, till I got to the top of Evitt's Revenge. Back on my bike. I'd say I stared out slow, but the whole ride was slow. Let's just say, I started. Convinced that my knee was not broken, I made it the rest of the way back to T2. Time to run. I have never been so happy to be off the bike. I now know that XTERRA is french for INSANE!

not fall? off-road experience would have helped tremendously!
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

no T splits
Run
  • 53m 42s
  • 5 miles
  • 10m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

This was by far the best part of the race for me. I passed 34 runners on the course even though my knee was all messed up. It started to get a bit warm out there but overall I felt pretty good about my effort, all things considered. The trail was very rocky. We went back up Evitt's Revenge and we had to go down a very steep ravine across a bridge over a creek and then back up the ravine on the other side. I kept passing other runners all the way in and finished strong.

not get hurt on the bike.
Post race
Warm down:

Iced my knee. Drank a CLiff Mango Recovery drink, hung out for the awards for a while. They were going to give me a "Race Spirit" award, because of how I fought through my knee injury but I told the guy to give it to someone else because I felt I did not deserve it.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I was totally clueless on the bike.

Event comments:

Well, I get to scratch XTERRA off my list of things to do before I die. This was the hardest race I have ever done. I tip my hat to all you off-roaders out there. The bike skills necessary to do well in an XTERRA require KING-SIZED KAHONAS! I am pretty strong. I am not a whimp. But this bike kicked my butt! By the time I got in enough off-road practice to ride rocks well enough to do race XTERAA I think I would be dead. Very organized race though. I survived!

Last updated: 2007-03-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:51 | 1320 yards | 02m 20s / 100yards
Age Group: 17/24
Overall: 165/264
Performance: Average
Suit: none
Course: two clock wise loops over 0.375 mile course, two direction changes, swim, run 200m, swim, run again into T.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:50:50 | 14 miles | 7.58 mile/hr
Age Group: 20/24
Overall: 219/264
Performance: Bad
Wind: None
Course: Two 7 mile loops, a little bit was road, but rest was single track, or rock and root filled trails. I know hate rocks!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Bad Cornering: Bad
Gear changes: Bad Hills: Bad
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:53:42 | 05 miles | 10m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/24
Overall: 84/264
Performance: Good
Course: rocky trail, with decent amount of climbs, oh and did I mention the rocks?
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-07-19 2:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Maryland
Subject: EX2 Off-Road Triathlon

2007-07-20 6:35 AM
in reply to: #893071

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
Subject: RE: EX2 Off-Road Triathlon
Bummer about the knee! Despite that all all the falls you had an awesome run split! I also initially thought 14 miles was nothing - sounds like such a short distance! Not so much!!! I'm moving out to Colorado next year and I was considering doing an XTERRA there but there are really HUGE mountains out there so we'll see, maybe after LOTS of off road training!!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » EX2 Off-Road Triathlon Rss Feed