General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Another new Clydesdale... Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-07-20 2:54 PM

Subject: Another new Clydesdale...
I'm glad I found this site- been lurking for a couple of weeks and picked up some good info and motivation. Thanks to all who participate here, especially the Athenas/Clydes.

Two decades ago when I was actually in shape, I did a few 5- and 10k runs and I loved cycling. So naturally, I wanted to do a triathlon. Every time I seemed to get close, injuries, surgeries or life got in the way. As the years went by, my weight and activity level went up and down (yeah, ok, the weight went up and the activity went down). I got close about 5 years ago, but another injury and resulting surgery set me back again.

When I was hitting 300lbs, I had almost given up hope of being able to run and bike again, but as I approach 40, I realize I better get myself healthy and stay fit.

Since Thanksgiving, I'm down over 65 lbs to 232 (I'm 6'2"). Now that the weight is off, I'm back on the bike, back on the run, and soon to be back in the pool. As a reward and for motivation, I'm looking forward to finally doing a triathlon! The "Mulletman" Tri comes around in April (Sprint distance on the Alabama gulf coast) and I hope to be about 215 on race day.

My challenge is to eat right, train right and protect my delicate back so that I can make this a permanent life change.

Thanks for your help-Good luck to all!

2007-07-20 3:49 PM
in reply to: #894755

User image

Subject: RE: Another new Clydesdale...

Welcome fellow Clyde!

I also started around 275 and am 6'2" and 236.  Best thing to do is sign up for that sprint.  Nothing lke money spent to get you motivated!

Chris

2007-07-20 5:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Greensboro, NC
Congrats and welcome! You should check out the brand new Clyde/Athena forums on BT....they are awesome :-)
2007-07-20 5:46 PM
in reply to: #894975

Borderline ND
Welcome, glad to see another horse in the corral.
2007-07-22 8:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Stoughton, WI
why are you waiting until next April? Find something this fall and do that as well. Consider it a warmup for your "A" event next April. If you are in your groove and have been doing some training now for the past few months, imo you've got plenty of base for a sprint triathlon in September. Don't wait around! The back thing is a valid cause for concern but it shouldn't stop you should it?

JB
2007-07-23 10:49 AM
in reply to: #896164

Thanks for the welcome and the encouragement!

I'm waiting until April because of my job. The Fall is our busy season and I won't be able to take any time off. I sometimes have to work the weekend on short notice (like find out at 11:00pm friday night). So if I schedule one, I may have to forfeit at the last minute. I'd rather wait till spring when I know I can get the time off.

Thanks again!

2007-07-23 3:50 PM

How about 6'4 290 - just starting. Ex football player and looking to turn my weight back into muscle. Playing weight was 270. There is muscle under there somewhere.30 years old and training to do a sprint next summer. Just started training last week.

Go Horses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Another new Clydesdale... Rss Feed