General Discussion Triathlon Talk » comfort road vs comfort tri bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-10-04 9:10 AM

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: comfort road vs comfort tri bike
I need some bike input and who better to turn to at BT.

Today is our 19th wedding anniversary...and my husband in in LA for work but is going to buy me a bike!!

I had back surgery in my lower back L3-L4 for a herniated disc about 7 years ago and have carpal tunnel in both my hands so I need to find a bike that fits well and that I can ride without problems. I have been visiting a lot of the local bike shops that triathletes go and have been advised by most of them to get a comfort road bike...a less aggressive position...shorter top tube, has more give in seat post and is more adjustable in swiveling handlebars to get comfortable. I rode one yesterday and my back didn't hurt and my hands were comfortable...by moving them around. Yipee!!

One LBS suggested considering getting a comfort type tri bike if it would fit me well...they are less aggressive...angle is between a typical road bike and a normal tri bike with aero bars. Plus they said since they are inbetween they work well in just road riding. The two suggestions were:
Cannondale Ironman 600 Or
Quintana Roo Trueno

Anyone have one of these bikes? Thoughts? Or other suggestions.

The LBS I like the best, want to fit me next which costs $150, then they would set up two bikes...comfort road bike and comfort tri bike, and see which works best...and if I bought a bike they would deduct the $150 from the bike. But one of the bikes I like ....Specialized Sequoia they don't carry....so I'm leary of putting down the $150 to see which bike is right.

Some LBS want me to buy bike and then they'd fit it...others want to have me do a fitting and then recommend bikes and adjust them so I can ride them prior to buying them....which way do most stores do it? Seems better to make sure I buy the right bike...by getting measure first.

Thanks for any help!!
Kathy

2004-10-04 9:57 AM
in reply to: #69073

User image

Bryan, TX
Subject: RE: comfort road vs comfort tri bike
I would check out the Softride bikes. They absorb a lot of shock from the road and a lot of people with back problems use them.
http://www.softride.com/bike/index.asp

2004-10-04 12:18 PM

I have a Specialized Sequoia, and I love it. The bike store where I purchased it adjusted a couple of bikes so that I could try them out, prior to making a commitment to buying one. They did a more exact "fitting" after I made a decision.

Have fun! Buying a new bike is exciting. I bought mine last year at this time, and there weren't many bikes available. The bike stores were waiting for the new models to come out. However, I did get a good deal by buying last years model.
2004-10-04 1:57 PM

User image

Champion
MA
runnrboy:

Thanks for the tip. I checked out the website and it looks interesting. There is a dealer about 25 miles away.

Are the bikes very expensive or do they come in different price ranges?

Kathy
2004-10-04 2:22 PM

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga

Does it bother you to be down in the Aero position?  I have both a traditional road and tri bike and as a matter of pure personal preference, opt for the tri bike in terms of comfort.  It may be that I'm more acclimated to the tri bike since I ride it almost exclusively now, but when I'm down in the aero position, its very comfortable.  You weight is distributed between the seat and the aero bars, taking some of the load off of your back.  Also, if the bike is properly fitted and you're using a good pedal stroke, your back should not move at all in the saddle.

2004-10-04 4:56 PM

User image

Expert
Colchester, CT
Kathy

I have the Ironman 600 and love it. I've had it for about 3 months now, and have not had any problems with it. I have some lower back issues as well, and i've gone out on 2 hour rides and ridden on the aero bars almost the entire time without having any back issues what so ever. All you can do is give it a ride adn see how it feels.

Chris

2004-10-04 5:07 PM
in reply to: #69169

User image

Bryan, TX
KathyG - 2004-10-04 12:57 PM

runnrboy:

Thanks for the tip. I checked out the website and it looks interesting. There is a dealer about 25 miles away.

Are the bikes very expensive or do they come in different price ranges?

Kathy

I don't know the exact pricing, but I'm guessing they are like all the other manufacturers as far as pricing and ranges go. I don't own one, but am considering one when I get ready to get a new bike.

Chris
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » comfort road vs comfort tri bike Rss Feed