Run On
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 21m 35s
Overall Rank = 251/789
Age Group = 25-29 F
Age Group Rank = 11/68
Pre-race routine:

I made a deal with Thomas that he didn't have to come to this race since I wasn't really intending on racing it and he wanted to go to the RBM ride to try out the faster 47 mile group. So I woke up and got out the door pretty quickly. I got to the race venue around 6:40 - not a minute too soon, as the parking lot was quickly filling. Honestly, I'm a little out of my element for running races, so it took me a while to get out of the car (I looked around to make sure I was taking/leaving the same stuff everyone else was). It's odd to pretty much leave the car with only the things you intend on racing with. I'm used to a huge bag packed with all kinds of unnecessary crap that I "might need." So I felt really naked leaving the car. I headed to pick up my timing chip and realized that I've been doing triathlons way too long when he gave me the zip ties for the timing chip, and I thought "holy crap that's going to tear up my ankle!" Idiot - it goes on your shoelaces! Then I pretty much was a loner and waited for Melanie to show up so I'd have someone to talk to :)
Event warmup:

Melanie and I took a quick jog back to my car so I could drop off my water bottle. Then we walked around and found a "secret" bathroom for me to use so I wouldn't have to wait in the 40-person line. We made our way to the start lines (Mel did the 5K).
Run
  • 1h 21m 35s
  • 9.32 miles
  • 08m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

I suppose I'll break it down by 5K:

1st 5K:
I have to give myself credit here. I did a fabulous job of holding back on pace. It's really hard when everyone flies out of the gate at sub 8min pace. I just tried to focus on listening to my iPod and staying conscious of my breathing rate. I made sure that I stayed very relaxed and kept an even cadence. I'm very proud of my control on this first 5K. Hydration levels were good, I had taken a gu right before the start, so nutrition wasn't an issue either. Overall, stellar first 5K. I held 9:03/miles, which was on the faster end of what I anticipated, but it was very comfortable, so I went with it.

2nd 5K:
I'm pretty sure that there was a timing mat and aid station right at the start of the second 5K. To anyone who rides the lake, it was at that big hill that you'd go down if you ride on Mockingbird and don't take the bridge across the lake. Well, we got to run UP it. Since I was feeling so good, I decided to pick off about 50 people on this hill. Funny thing is that I don't think my HR even got above 185 to do this. I guess this hill was a reality check for a lot of people who went too fast for the first 5K... not me! :) This is where my ego got a hold of me. I blame this hill for thinking it'd be a good idea to run the rest of the lake as a race instead of it's intended easy training run. My confidence was through the roof at this point, so I pretty much took off. For most of the 2nd 5K, I was running 8:20s or at some points 8:teens. I knew deep down that this probably wasn't a good idea, but I was still feeling pretty good, so what the hell.

Around mile 5-6, I started wishing I had my nutrition belt. The aid stations were placed ok, but I started wanting more water than I was getting and I would have liked some powerade or sports drink. Also around mile 5, my ear buds simply wouldn't stay in anymore. I was just too sweaty. So I tucked them under my tank top and kept going. From then on, I had no music - kind of a bummer. As I had planned, right as I spotted the aid station that was around the 10K mark, I took my gu. Holy cow are those things tough to rip open when you're sweaty! I timed it perfectly so I was able to chase the gel with water. I probably should have taken the gel more slowly, as my stomach didn't feel quite right about a mile later. Note to self, do not scarf gu while running 8:00 miles.

3rd 5K:
I was thankful that we didn't stay on the main trail shortly after the Boat House. My stomach was queasy from the gel, and I know the musty/stagnant atmosphere of the long path with the plants surrounding it would have made me even more nautious and exhausted. The sun started poking through the overcast skies around mile 6, but didn't really affect me until I hit the dam. So from mile 7 to the end, it was full sun with very few shade opportunities. The temperature also noticeably increased, so I started to feel the energy getting zapped out of me. This is the time when I would have killed for some powerade or something other than water at the aid stations. For a 9-mile race, I'm inclined to say that it's unacceptable to stock aid stations with only water. Had I known it would be like that, I wouldn't have left home without my fuel belt. Something to know for next time, I guess.

Then there's the bridge/hill/heat combo. At about 7.75 miles, we turned left near the gas station to cross the bridge that goes across the dam runoff. You would never know it on a bike, but that bridge shakes like a leaf. Talk about nauseating. I felt like I had vertigo with all the bouncing. It's funny how relatively short the bridge was but how difficult it was to cross. Then, as if the bouncy bridge isn't enough, you get to run up the ridiculous hill that's so fun to fly down on a bike. I wasn't even going to test myself here, so I sucked it up and walked when I got half way up. This run wasn't important enough to me to risk vomiting because I was stupid on a hill. After I got up the hill, the sun seemed to be turned on full blast. The heat was overwhelming, and I quickly started feeling like I was running close to empty. I slowed to 9:00 miles to see if I could recover enough to at least pull out a sprint for the last 0.5 mile into the chute. Every step was a struggle. Finally I made it to the 9-mile marker and tried to pick it up as much as I thought I could. Lucky for me, the girl ahead of me did too... but I guess she turned it on a bit too much and threw up right as we entered the chute. Totally disgusting. If that's in my race photo, I'm going to be mad. What's more is that she puked again right after crossing the finish line. Ugh! I don't know why you'd want to push yourself to that point. I guess some people might not be able to help it? But that's totally unappealing to me.

What would you do differently?:

Keep the middle 5K under control a little more, and work on some hills. Also, bring my fuel belt and buy better ear buds!
Post race
Warm down:

Melanie cheered me in and was standing there with water for me, which I very much appreciated. I was definitely bordering on heat exhaustion because I was really loopy and had a hard time speaking clearly. I never felt like I was going to pass out or anything, but I definitely didn't feel quite right.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Only not having longer-distance racing experience. But with that said, I'm really pleased with my pacing and performance.

Event comments:

Absolutely needed more than just water at the aid stations. Maybe water only for the first 5K, but after 6 miles, I'd think most runners would be wanting some sugar and electrolytes - no? Especially at a race named after how hot it is :)

Last updated: 2007-07-15 12:00 AM
Running
01:21:35 | 9.32 miles | 08m 45s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/68
Overall: 251/789
Performance: Good
First 5K - sub 180 Second 5K - sub 185 Third 5K - sub 195 (for the most part)
Course: Loop around WRL
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-22 4:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX
Subject: Too Hot to Handle - 15K

2007-07-22 6:28 PM
in reply to: #895968

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
Subject: RE: Too Hot to Handle - 15K

Ha!  Sounds like we had alot of the same experiences.  I was so confused when I got my chip.  And man did I want something other than water.  I was so pissed I only had a single gel.  And I completely forgot about that bridge!  It's usually not like that when you run the lake alone.

Congrats on a great race!  You finished very strong.

2007-07-22 8:56 PM
in reply to: #895968

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: Too Hot to Handle - 15K
WOW! Fast running there lady! Terrific job!

Anyone who opts to go out and just run... well, I marvel at. If it's not behind some swimming and biking... I'm not running in a race.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Too Hot to Handle - 15K Rss Feed