General Discussion Race Reports! » Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy - Race #2 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy - Race #2 - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Key Biscayne, Florida
United States
Multirace.com
89F / 32C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 57m 33s
Overall Rank = 570/
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

My pre-race routine was the usual - shower, got dressed, my bag was packed from the night before, except that I overslept like 45 minutes. I was tired from my Sarasota quickie trip and I figured I could sleep a little more. I grabbed my stuff from the trunk and couldn't find my bike gloves. Crap. I couldn't go back up to look for them b/c I was running late. I tried to have some b'fast but decided not to eat anything. My stomach was a little woozy. It turned out to be good thing too b/c on the drive to Key Biscayne my nerves got the better of me and I had to throw up. I think the nerves were strictly from running late. It was a drive heave but I felt better once I was done with it. I arrived at Crandon Park and proceeded to the transition area. They wouldn't let me in T1 until my number was on the bike. Aaahhh! I put the number on and went to get my timing chip. I got body-marked and headed to set up my transition. I could tell most everyone was already at the beach b/c it was slightly deserted. I set up my stuff... in the little bitty place that was left at the rack. Note to self... never ever again arrive late b/c its slim pickens at the rack! Grabbed my goggles and swim cap... omg where's the timing chip? Shit! I couldn't find the timing chip. Man... I looked everywhere... I just had it! I went back to the timing chip table and they gave me a replacement chip. Big lesson learned this morning.
Event warmup:

My warm-up consisted of running to the beach... but I decided to walk after five minutes. I hated being late like this. I hated it! I knew another BTer, Mimi, was going to be there so I looked around and soon found her. It was good to see a friendly face and who reminded me to just have fun. I felt myself relax a little. Ok. It was time to do this.
Swim
  • 12m 30s
  • 500 yards
  • 02m 30s / 100 yards
Comments:

My swim, I thought, was a bit slow, but my time ended up being pretty good. I much prefer staying in the back. I need to remain calm and concentrate on the breathing if I'm to swim the whole distance. I decided to breast stroke it until I rounded the first buoy, and then freestyled the rest of the way. I felt good, but not as good as last month. Soon I was out of the water and running across the beach. I was happy they changed the course and we didn't have to run on the beach the whole distance back to T1. I think that is why my swim time improved.
What would you do differently?:

Never, ever arrive late to an event.
Transition 1
  • 06m 36s
Comments:

Took too long... but hey, I found the timing chip inside my bike helmet! YAY! My credit card won't get charged. Woo-hoo!

Need to practice my transitions.
Bike
  • 48m 56s
  • 10 miles
  • 12.26 mile/hr
Comments:

Of course, once I got on the bike I was pumped. But that immediately turned into frustration when I started to play with my gears and couldn't figure them out. I couldn't get in the right gear. I was getting super frustrated when I decided to stop playing around and just stick to a comfortable gear and spin it out. Then I reached the bridge. And I just kept going. And going. And going. All of a sudden I think of Rocky's theme in my mind as I reached the top of the bridge. I had climbed it! YEAH! What a high! I didn't get off my bike and walk it - NO! I climbed the bridge. It was hard, but not as insurmountable as I thought it would be. I cruised down the bridge and my attitude and frustration from the morning floated away from me on the breeze. Wooooo, what a feeling. I made the turn, and as I approached the bridge again I turned on Rocky's theme in my mind again. Yeah... I conquered the bridge again. God that felt good. I made it back through some recently rained on streets and atmosphere... it even felt a little chilly. It was nice. It was all good.

Get the gears down. Need to practice the gear changes but I know this will improve with time.
Transition 2
  • 01m 36s
Comments:

I'm running out of T2 while I'm pinning my number to my shirt. Say it with me folks... never, again am I to arrive late to an event! NEVER AGAIN! I was a bit embarrassed... but I got over it.

You know...
Run
  • 47m 54s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 15m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

I started my run. I had a really good run. I kept my pace and didn't walk as much as I did at last month's sprint. As I neared the end of the first mile I hear "Go Cari!" and I turn to see Mimi, already finished and happy. Man... oh man... she's so fast! I'm so slow... but I could already tell I was doing much better on this run. I ran the whole way except for maybe 4 times that I stopped and walked, but each time was for no more than 10-15 seconds ( I know b/c I checked my watch to be sure I didn't let the walking get out of hand). I was determined to run the whole run and I did. It was good to finish and I knew my time had to have improved from last month. They cheered for me at the finish line. God that feels good.

Drink more water and train more at a higher Zone.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, drank lots of Accelerade (I love the stuff and seems to be what works best for me). I grabbed my stuff, returned both timing chips (lol!), and ate a fig newton. I sat down and rested for a bit. Again saw Mimi and her friend Paul, both of whom had personal bests! Yay! We chatted for a bit and waited for the awards. Mimi got 1st place in our age group... Mimi YOU ROCK! I didn't bother to check my results b/c of the whole timing chip replacment thing. I figured I'd wait until I got home. Turns out I placed 3rd in Athena! Woo-hoo! It was an excellent race despite all the calamity... I improved my times and conquered the bridge.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Inexperience.

Event comments:

I'm loving this race. It could easily become a yearly thing for me to do this trilogy and see how I improve over time. It would be nice to meet more people too. That will come with time as well. As will my experience and confidence. I learned my lesson about snoozing in and not having certain things prepared the night before. I already know how important this lifestyle has become for me that I was able to leave Sarasota and make it to this event that I had planned and trained for. I love this sport and am loving it more with each event. Although there was a moment during the swim when I was thinking what the hell I was doing out there. But it was only for a moment. Now I have a week's worth of tri-endorphins to look forward to. Step aside, step aside people... new triathlete coming through!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-07-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:30 | 500 yards | 02m 30s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 548/
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: 100 yds out to the first buoy and then 400 yds diagonally back to shore.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:36
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:48:56 | 10 miles | 12.26 mile/hr
Overall: 547/
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Flat and across two bridges. The second bridge is a lu-lu...
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Bad Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:36
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:47:54 | 03.1 miles | 15m 27s  min/mile
Overall: 552/
Performance: Good
Course: Flat and hot.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-07-22 5:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Miami, FL
Subject: Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy - Race #2

2007-07-22 6:54 PM
in reply to: #896025

User image

Master
South Florida
Subject: RE: Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy - Race #2
You did such a great job on this race!!  You got the hill .  The first time I did that hill, I thought about walking it.  It gets better and better, as you are!  GREAT to spend the morning with ya. 
2007-07-22 8:07 PM

User image

Veteran
wooo hoooo for beating that bridge....TWICE!
2007-07-22 9:54 PM

Master
Boston
Great picture of you two! Your face looks so skinny! I'm glad you had fun during the race- despite trouble on the bike. I bet it was so HOT out there too. I don't know if I'll be able to race in Fla. after living up in PA. I'll melt! Well, hopefully this is the first of MANY more triathlon races to come! GO CARI!
2007-07-23 7:23 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Awesome Job Cari!!! Congratulations on beting the bridge!!!!
2007-07-23 7:40 AM

User image

Master
Keller Tx
Awesome job Cari!

2007-07-23 11:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbia, South Carolina
Awesome job! Congratulations triathlete!!!
2007-07-24 6:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio

Awesome RR!  Congrats on a great race and conquering the bridge.  Those kinds of breakthroughs are just so so cool!  Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Diane

2007-07-24 1:41 PM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

I thought of you on Sunday... as I was getting ready to start Racine, I thought..."Cari's got triathlon #2 TODAY!"

Glad it went so well for you! Don't worry, you'll figure out the gears on that bike.... Kiss

Congratulations... again!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy - Race #2 Rss Feed