United States
HMA Promotions
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 04m 44s
Overall Rank = 30/79
Age Group = 29 39
Age Group Rank = 2/prx 20
Pre-race routine:

Ate cereal, juice, bagel. packed up. Snacked on fig newtons on the way there.
Event warmup:

Got into the water and swam just a little. Not much time to do anything else. Things were a little unclear with regards to organization of the race.
Swim
  • 09m 3s
  • 704 yards
  • 01m 17s / 100 yards
Comments:

We walked to the beach as a entire race group and my wave was first. A few directions were given as I had my Gu and the count down began. I hurried up and put on my cap, goggles and he said go. I stayed to the outside of the group and ran to the water and dove in. within the first 100 yards everyone beside me dropped back so I moved to the inside line, rounded the bouy, passed another person and swam back to shore. Smooth water, nice and clear.
What would you do differently?:

Calm down a bit, I was breathing a little too hard. Now that the first one is out of the way, should be more comfortable next time.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Transition area was not a secured area. Bikes were lined up on the fence out by the road too (apparently this is ok here). My brother took my suit to the car after I left.

nothing
Bike
  • 40m 1s
  • 9.3 miles
  • 13.94 mile/hr
Comments:

No mile markers so it was hard to know when to "go" or when to ease up for T2. Some rough areas, one smooth area. Just like at home.

get a new bike he he he
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

T2 is across a small area, up a hill, across the street, down an alley, and in a empty parking lot. Not secured. I wasn't going to leave anything there so my trusty brother met me at curbside of the lot with my shoes, hat and a towel to stand on (apparently this is ok too?). I shot him my bike and helmet and took off running. He returned my stuff to the car. What a brother!

nothing
Run
  • 15m 44s
  • 3 miles
  • 05m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

I saw one mile marker. Like the bike, hard to know when to go.

nothing
Post race
Warm down:

light stretch, gatorade and protien bar

What limited your ability to perform faster:

old skool bike, just need more time training. Over all my running was weakest area and swim was best.

Event comments:

Although the race organizer knew exactly what he was doing, as a newbie, it was not clear to me what was going on. Transition areas were very loosly organized. No stats availble-maybe on line in the future? I have only rough idea of times do to friend keeping track for me-11 swim, 31 bike, 12 run??? I stayed for awards just for kicks. Glad I did- I took second in my class! Yahoo! Wish I had those stats.. Good, low key, race. Very much a "local" feel to it.
I have recently found results on line. there are no transition times or run times. The times seem way off and seeing how the race was organized, it doesn't surprise me.

Last updated: 2007-03-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:03 | 704 yards | 01m 17s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/prx 20
Overall: 5/79
Performance: Good
Suit: yes
Course: Straight out, around a bouy and straight back. Best part of the race. approx 100yrds to the "transition area"
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:40:01 | 9.3 miles | 13.94 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/prx 20
Overall: 2/79
this time must include transition times. I am quite sure my pace was quicker then 13.9
Wind: Little
Course: Up a steep little hill right outside of T1. Course is not marked. Just looking for people in orange vest to direct me. Wasn't too hard though. Road was bumpy in areas. Got passed by a few and I passed a few myself. Took a while to catch breath and fall into a rhythmn. drank half of bottle (water)
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:15:44 | 03 miles | 05m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/prx 20
Overall: 2/79
There is no way this is my real time but I am going by what was posted as reace results
Course: Like the bike course, looking for orange vests to direct me but it wasn't that big of a deal.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-07-22 9:22 PM

User image

Expert
oregon ave,
Subject: Ashtabula Triathlon

2007-07-23 10:33 AM
in reply to: #896230

Pro
AZ
Subject: RE: Ashtabula Triathlon

Look at you taking 2nd in your AG!!!  Awesome job!!  Sounds like you had a great swim!!  Race sounds a little unorganized with weird transitions. Hopefully your next one will be bigger and more like it should be.

Great job!!!

2007-07-23 11:08 AM
in reply to: #896230

User image

Expert
oregon ave,
Subject: RE: Ashtabula Triathlon
Thanks!  It was a weird one, but nice and small for my first.  I am excited for the next one to be more organized.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ashtabula Triathlon Rss Feed