United States
Great Lakes Triathlon
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 51m 41s
Overall Rank = 184/451
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 25/40
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:30, big bowl of cereal and 1/2 hour drive to site. Did this race last year to not much stress in terms of finding things. My wife, her sister and sister's husband all were racing so the four of us stuck together. Ran into a few people I knew from the local Tri Club.
Event warmup:

Water temp was low enough that wetsuits were a go ~ day was already looking up! Did a brief swim and then just waiting for heat and watching my wife start her swim.
Swim
  • 16m 34s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

Overall pretty happy with time ~ last year I was actually faster but everyone agreed that last year was way short and this year but probably about right. I started in the middle of the pack, second row since not everyone was wearing a suit I could do pretty decent. I started probably too fast but slowed down and got my breathing under control. Never really found a great rythem but freestyled the whole way.
Transition 1
  • 02m 50s
Comments:

A little trouble getting the suit off and didn't unstrap my shoes so wasted some time there...
Bike
  • 57m 4s
  • 18 miles
  • 18.93 mile/hr
Comments:

Just not sure what happened here... I've been riding for Steelhead and did a 60 mile ride a week ago - maybe I didn't recover all the way. I had trouble getting my heartrate down for the first 3-4 miles but then settled in nicely. I averaged better than 20 here last year and nearly 20 on my last race which was an Olympic. Just never felt like I had the strength to hammer away. I geared way down on the hills and was still struggling. Flats and downhills were fine. I was near 20 on the way out, but just didn't have it on the bike. A bit disappointing but not terrible.
What would you do differently?:

Cut the long ride out a week prior (only thing I can think of that might have hurt me).
Transition 2
  • 00m 57s
Comments:

Good here.
Run
  • 34m 18s
  • 4.5 miles
  • 07m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

I was better on the run, although not at my best. The bike fatigue didn't really carry over and I felt pretty good the whole run. Passed my wife and sister-in-law with about a mile to go... offered to run with them to the line but they told me to keep going to I met them at the line.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

Waited for wife and her sister, then waited for sister's husband... eat lots of cookies!

Event comments:

I love this race... field is not huge and it's just a great event. I was 4 minutes slower than last year and it was all on the bike. I'd been sick and also doing the longer ride might have hurt. Although not entirely happy with the time, the effort was there and cannot be to upset. It's great racing with my wife and she really enjoyed this year more than her other tri's so we'll be back. Up next, 2 weeks until Steelhead!

Last updated: 2007-05-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:34 | 880 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 18/40
Overall: 187/451
Performance: Average
Suit: Full
Course: Clockwise out, over, and back.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:50
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:57:04 | 18 miles | 18.93 mile/hr
Age Group: 30/40
Overall: 237/451
Performance: Below average
Wind:
Course: Out and back, rolling.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:57
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:34:18 | 04.5 miles | 07m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 18/40
Overall: 134/451
Performance: Good
Course: Rolling.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-07-23 8:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids, MI
Subject: Great Lakes Triathlon

2007-07-24 8:21 AM
in reply to: #896535

User image

Expert
Michiana
Subject: RE: Great Lakes Triathlon
Nice race!  Really strong run.  Who knows on the bike?  Sometimes you just have one of those days.  Good luck at Steelhead!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Great Lakes Triathlon Rss Feed