Set Up Events
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 49m 10s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 17/38
Pre-race routine:

Ate half a cinnamon crunch bagel from Panera, didn't really warm up because of the time between the race start and when I actually started
Swim
  • 06m 37s
  • 300 meters
  • 02m 13s / 100 meters
Comments:

Swim was ok. I was really nervous about the pool swim, since it was my first. My heart rate was very high, and I had a hard time hitting my rhythm for the first 100 or so, but after I got into it, I was very smooth and felt strong. A little bit of heavy breathing, but nothing that hindered my performance. Seeded myself perfectly--I ended up not having to pass anyone, and no one passed me!
What would you do differently?:

Calm down a little bit before the start so that I can get into my rhythm earlier. Do some more practices with such short distances and pacing.
Transition 1
  • 01m 41s
Comments:

Ran hard out of the swim -- there was about a 150-200m run from the pool to the transition area and I think I kept a pretty good pace. Still haven't mastered the idea of having my shoes already on the bike and getting into them while I'm moving, so I had to run in my bike shoes. But overall, transition went well, no major issues or slowdowns.

Need to work on starting with my shoes already on my bike, and mounting the bike while moving.
Bike
  • 39m 37s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 18.82 mile/hr
Comments:

Ride was ok- the pace felt comfortable, but I would have liked to be able to maintain my momentum better going over the rolling hills. Had some shifting issues, where I just couldn't find a comfortable gear to cruise in, and had to keep shifting up and down because of the hills, even though they weren't very big. Cornering went very well, and managed not to lose much speed there. During gusts of wind or open areas, I did get down into my drops for a little bit. I took one gel at the beginning and one gel at the end of the bike leg, with water both times.

Some mechanical issues, where my bike would shift two gears, or not shift when I asked it to and then shift twice, etc. But I'm getting that fixed.

Need to put the aerobars back on the bike, or get the tri bike- would have liked to be a little bit faster on the bike leg. Not a big improvement from my sprint last year, although this course was a bit hillier than the one in Texas.

Also, for such a short distance, I need to work on pacing issues. I could have continued with the pace I had for a lot longer, but I'm not sure I would have gone faster.
Transition 2
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

Transition went well! I managed to get the feet out of the shoes while I was still biking and came into transition with my shoes already off, which made running to my area much easier. However, I still can't get off the bike without stopping completely. I did start running the wrong way out of the transition area and had to run back a bit, which slowed me down a little. Some problems getting socks on- one of them stuck getting around my toes, so that slowed me a bit.

Need to work on dismounting while moving, and wear different socks (probably the nike ones). Also, running the correct way out of transition would definitely help :-p

Also, need to be going faster on the course... this ride should have been quite a bit faster, I think
Run
  • 28m 17s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

Run was a pretty good pace. I cramped up on both sides as soon as I left transition though, and they never really went away. I may have taken my gel too late getting off the bike. Pace was great though, and legs felt good.
PR by 2 seconds for my 5K (and not just in a tri)!!

Work on gel issues with the bike/etc to try to avoid cramping. Work on taking water without walking - maybe wear a fuel belt during such a short race?
Post race
Warm down:

Walked a bit, and stretched some

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hills on the bike course really stole my momentum, and the cramps while I was running.

Event comments:

Great race overall... any complaints are due to my performance, not the race organization. It was well organized and executed! Great volunteers!

Last updated: 2007-07-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:37 | 300 meters | 02m 13s / 100meters
Age Group: 26/38
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: 300m snake pool swim
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:41
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:39:37 | 12.43 miles | 18.82 mile/hr
Age Group: 14/38
Wind: Some
Course: Rolling hills, but overall fast
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:13
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:28:17 | 03.11 miles | 09m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 24/38
Course: Rolling, with a big hill at the end of the course
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-07-23 9:06 AM

Veteran
Newmarket, Suffolk
Subject: Three Sports Triathlon

2007-07-23 9:26 AM
in reply to: #896661

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Subject: RE: Three Sports Triathlon
I'm guessing your race time wasn't really 7 hours and 49 minutes... (the form's a little confusing!) -

Anyway, nice race yesterday. I was there too - it was a great day for it. CONGRATS on PRing your 5K time - that's awesome.

Kristen
2007-07-23 9:47 AM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Great job on the race, especially on the PR!!
2007-07-23 10:12 AM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Great job on the race and congrats on the PR on the run!!
2007-07-23 3:10 PM

User image

Expert
Williamsburg, VA
Great job at the race and way to PR on the run!! Thanks for running and coaching at the end of my run.  I needed the push!!
2007-07-23 7:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Williamsburg, Virginia
Great running!!!! But I agree you might want to check out the 7 hours 49 min for the total time.

2007-07-23 9:16 PM

User image

Master
great job sticking it out through the cramping and getting a PR on the run!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Three Sports Triathlon Rss Feed