5430 Sports Corp.
95F / 35C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 51m 38s
Overall Rank = 545/1415
Age Group = m30-24
Age Group Rank = 73/129
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at some stupid hour, had some oj & oatmeal & drove to Boulder. Got there right at 5am and there was already a line of people. I wasn't real excited for this race coming into it but I was feeling pretty good about things when it came time to go.
Event warmup:

Did a short run with a few pickups and a real quick bike just to work thru the gears and make sure it was adjusted right. Had a gel and got in the water and did a real quick swim out to the platform & back.
Swim
  • 33m 40s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 14s / 100 meters
Comments:

The start was pretty uneventful, not much bumping or anything. The first leg was straight into the sun, so I just sighted on the sun and that worked well. The 2nd buoy was pointy so I thought it was the turn buoy. I started to turn and popped up to try & find the next buoy but I saw everyone else still going straight so I changed course. Didn't really lose much time though. It took a while but I finally felt like I got in a rhythm going down the back straight. By this time I was into the earlier waves (and later waves were into me) but I was swimming pretty straight so I only ran into a few people who were stopped. Other people mentioned they thought the course was long. Hope they were right but there isn't really any way to know.
What would you do differently?:

Not really sure, aside from just keep working on my swimming. I was a little slower than I expected even though I was (just a little) faster than last year. My time at the sprint was two miuntes faster so I ws expecting at least that much over last year but it was only around :40. I could have pushed maybe a little more but I felt like I was going at the right speed most of the time.
Transition 1
  • 01m 22s
Comments:

Went fine. Socks and shoes on and the running jump onto the bike was good.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 1h 19m 23s
  • 26.1 miles
  • 19.73 mile/hr
Comments:

Plan was to stay in z3 until Old Stage so I tried to get my HR down after leaving the res. Did a mostly good job of keeping HR where I wanted and felt like I held a decent pace nonetheless. I felt good going up the hill and passed quite a few people but looking back I may have pushed a bit too hard. Lots of people cheering and in costumes got the adrenaline going though. Tried to recover some on the downhill and then have fun down the canyon. My legs started to burn a bit going down Nelson Rd. so I started to think I might be pushing a bit too hard but I liked the pace I was doing so I didn't let up too much but tried to take it a little easier on the downhills. Had a bottle of accelrade, picked up a water bottle at the 2nd aid station & then had a gu. Got stung on the arm by something going down 63rd which took my mind off my legs.

Weeeellll... Not really sure. My goal was to go under 1:20 which I did although I thought something close to 1:15 was doable since I've been feeling good on the bike lately. Not sure if maybe I had taken it a little easier whether that would have had any effect on my run or not. I think maybe I should have taken it a little easier on the hill and then pushed a little harder afterwards. I may have let the excitement and surprise of passing people and feeling decent doing it dictate my pace too much. Probably a lesson here somewhere...
Transition 2
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

Except for standing there for a second feeling like I was forgetting something and looking dumb it was fine.

Nuttin'.
Run
  • 56m 7s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

Along with the Long Course run, this was one of the toughest runs I've had. Tried to keep my HR z3 up the 1st hill. Got a bit of a sidestitch at the start of the dam - it got worse if I tried to push the pace from z3 but was manageable otherwise. This time it was my legs that was my limiter. Threw a water over my head at every waid station but it wasn't especially cold. I had a hard time turning over the legs starting on the 2nd dam and the hills were ruthless. The sidestitch was mostly gone by the turnaround so I had a gel and decided to make a point of trying to negative split. I was able to hold a better pace (or at least it felt like a better oace) but again those little hills just took anything leftover out of my legs. Actually walked for 5 breaths on the short dam section just because I couldn't turn over the legs any more. Hit the last aid station & got passed by a guy in my age group so I decided to try & stay with him as best I could. Got into a rhythm on the long dam and then that f*cking hill thru the marina felt like I had a pit bull pulling me backwards, but then I pushed on to the finish.

This run was actually slower than last years. On the plus side, while I did have a sidestitch, it was mostly managable and I had no stomach issues or cramps. My legs were trashed not too far into the run though so I don't know if that was because I went too hard on the bike or because I've been slacking on my running lately and haven't done a long (or hard) run in at least a few weeks. Probably both. Wonder too whether nutrtion was an issue here. Had a bottle of accelerade and a gu on the bike, maybe I should have tried to take in a little more, but I was wary about upsetting my stomach again.
Post race
Warm down:

Had a beer & hung out with Mark & Richard & Stacie & Ben. Grabbed a little food & sat in the shade. Everyone I talked to seemed to have had a tough race and have the same stories (turning at the buoy, slower than normal swim, tough run...)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The two main things I think were my slacking in my run training lately and the heat.

Event comments:

Only improvement would have been to have some cold water on the run course because without any shade it was rough. Like other people noted too the shirt are ug-ly, but the race is really well organized and run and the course is pretty fun once you get over the hill. Went 4' faster than last year so even though my run was slower and I know I could have done better there, for a non-'A' race it was a success. And with so many friends and BT'ers there not to mention the very competative field it makes for a fun race. In retrospect anyway.

Last updated: 2007-01-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:40 | 1500 meters | 02m 14s / 100meters
Age Group: 89/129
Overall: 918/1415
Performance: Average
Under the arch at 32:37. About 1' faster than last year.
Suit: Xterra full
Course: Out 4 buoys, over one, then down the backstretch.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:22
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:19:23 | 26.1 miles | 19.73 mile/hr
Age Group: 65/129
Overall: 428/1415
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: 1st 5 miles steady uphill, then up Old Stage Hill (up 600ft in 2/3 mile). Then s fast downhill & rolling hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:03
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:56:07 | 06.21 miles | 09m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 78/129
Overall: 665/1415
Performance: Below average
Mile 1 - 9:00, mile 2 - 8:53, miles 3 & 4 - 9:10 avg, mile 5 - 11:14?, last mile - 8:40
Course: UP a small hill, then flat along the dams. Some small rolling hills, flat along the canal & back.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-07-23 9:39 AM

User image

Master
Denver
Subject: Boulder Peak Triathlon

2007-07-23 9:56 AM
in reply to: #896737

User image

Expert
Denver
Subject: RE: Boulder Peak Triathlon
Sighting off of the sun? Hope the eyes are working today! Too bad it wasn't the race you wanted, but it didn't really sound like you were ready to race the race  you wanted either. Get some good runs in and you can have your redemption at the long course!
2007-07-23 10:50 AM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
Nice job out there.  I sure hope we don't have this heat for the Long Course.  It could make for a long day.
2007-07-23 11:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO
Nice work despite the heat.  The more of these reports I look at, the more I realize that yesterday was a bad day for everyone.  Just impossible to race well in that heat I think.
2007-07-23 1:45 PM

User image

Expert
Solid race Drew!  The heat definitely took it's toll on everyone!
2007-07-23 5:05 PM

User image

Expert
Conifer, Colorado
Good effort... it was frickin' hot out there. Thank god for the free beer! Yeah, I started thinking about bear after the turn-a-round on the run. That's what kept me going. NICE RACE!

2007-07-23 7:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Security, CO
Bronze member
Great Job for picking up 4 minutes from last year. That heat made all of us pay!

2007-07-23 11:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver CO
That was a great bike leg! We all suffered on the run for sure.
2007-07-24 11:28 AM

User image

Master
Colorado

Nice work Drew!!  If I had to guess, I would say, that the heat was the biggest factor on the run.  If you weren't POUNDING electrolytes, you were going to hurt.  Despite that, it's good that you didn't have true stomache issues and had a solid swim and bike!!  You're having a great season - Keep it up!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Boulder Peak Triathlon Rss Feed