United States
Webster Bicycle
Overcast
Total Time = 58m 37s
Overall Rank = 10/148
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 2/5
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:45, ate a bowl of cereal and a banana then took off.
Event warmup:

jogged maybe 1.2miles easy, mainly to loosen up my feet which I've been having trouble with lately.
Run
  • 12m 1s
  • 2 miles
  • 06m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

well I got 6th in the end there were two more ahead of me.. but one(Diana) pedal came off 3miles into the bike. Then another kid I saw walking the bike in, though I didn't see anything wrong with his bike.. may of just blew up physicaly.

As for me, this went just how I wanted it. Though I do wish they would get this run right. The first one this year was short by 40seconds, this time it was long by 30 seconds I'd say.
What would you do differently?:

Drink my whole cup at the 1mile mark.
Transition 1
  • 00m 31s
Comments:

Giving the run to the mount line was maye 30-40ft and there was a hill 100-130m from transition I decided to put shoes on in transition instead of on bike. I think this paid off well as I passed a guy who got out 7 seconds faster while he tried to get his shoes all on.

Nothing, perfect.
Bike
  • 31m 1s
  • 11.5 miles
  • 22.25 mile/hr
Comments:

Their results show me at 23.1(which is right if it's 12miles and looks nice!) but I believe it was 11.5.

I did good, I was trying to limit my loses to the stronger bikers to keep them in striking distance on the run to try to get a top 5 spot. So I came in where i wanted to(9th) with a group of 4-5 in catching range on the run. But all that goes down the drain very quickly.

Trying to catch a few guys on the bike I didn't drink anything for the first 5miles, which would be where I needed to drink most of my gatorade. So I should of done that backwards for sure. Also I changed cleats/pedals wednesday, I felt my cleat was probably a little too forward causing me to overwork my calfs also.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Went smoothly once I got in the transition, but due to water they changed the in/outs of the run and put it right next to the bike. So I went in the run way and set off he chip there so I don't have my transition time and it's added onto my run.

Go in the right entrance. :P
Run
  • 15m
  • 2 miles
  • 07m 30s  min/mile
Comments:

Worse 2 mile run of my life. Right off the back my right calf cramped up worse then I've ever had anything cramp up in a race. I came VERY close to just walking the 50 meters back to transition and calling it quit since my top 5 spot was now gone. I knew I could ease the cramp out though so I continued on. As of right now my goals went to trying to finish top 10(or atleast top 10%) and 1 hour, and both of these looked iffy for a bit.

That first mile was probably a 9min mile as I had to walk/stop several times, but after 1000m i was able to start to fall into a groove again and by the 2nd mile I was running what I wish I could of the whole time(right around 5:50-6min pace)

Well I've got 3 things I'd say caused the horrible cramp.
1. I drank a decent amount on the bike(all I'd need normaly to keep from cramping on a 1 hour effort), but it was late into the bike and didn't do me much good I imagine.
2. New pedals/cleat type and position is probably too forward which causes you to work your calfs more.
3. I guess I may of gone too hard on the bike, but it didn't seem like it honestly.
Post race
Warm down:

I didn't want to run on my calf so Nothing. Feel good today, just the right calf is still recovering from the bad cramp.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My Farking crampy right calf. :)

Event comments:

I really wish they would get the distance right on the run course of this course. This is the 2nd time they've done this course this year and both times they were off. In a run/bike/run race the first run is key to pace right. If your splits through you off, it throws your whole race off. Either way I love this race it fits my characteristics perfectly. I believe they will get everything down next year, it was after all the first year for these guys to put it on.(it use to have a different race director)

Last updated: 2007-07-23 12:00 AM
Running
00:12:01 | 02 miles | 06m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/5
Overall: 6/148
Performance: Good
Course: Fast course with 4(2 each way) turns total with a turnaround. Once again the course was off, 2.1 or so really.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
T1
Time: 00:31
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
00:31:01 | 11.5 miles | 22.25 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/5
Overall: 9/148
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: Fast course, but always with some wind since it's close to the sea, that goes on a feeder of a highway.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average