General Discussion Race Reports! » Spirit of Racine Half Ironman Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Spirit of Racine Half Ironman Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Racine, Wisconsin
United States
HFP Racing
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 44m 13s
Overall Rank = 1139/1256
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 166/173
Pre-race routine:

Arose and had some powdered doughnuts (breakfast of champions) a little coffee and part of a clif bar. Rolled out and found parking on the street about 3 blocks away from the event. Went to set up transition which was really really tight. They sure squeezed us all in there. My transition space was right next to the railing so it was a little tough getting in there since everyone was standing around the railing talking to thier friends. No big deal though. I set up my stuff put my wetsuit on and headed for the beach.
Event warmup:

Jumped in the water and swam a little. Just wanted to ge myself acclimated to the water, which really wasn't that bad. Almost refreshing.
Swim
  • 35m 7s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 40s / 100 yards
Comments:

By far my best swim ever. I felt great. Felt like I could have gone all day. My sighting was very good. Never really veered off course. I kept the bouys close to my right and just chugged. I was very happy with the swim.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. Felt good.
Transition 1
  • 04m 8s
Comments:

Didn't really rush. I wanted to make sure I had everything I needed for the bike. I was trying to put my gloves on and I kept dropping them. I felt like I was in the Three Stooges. Then I had an issue getting my bike off the rack. We were crammed in there so tight I kept getting my pedals and handlebars stuck on the bikes next to me.

Put my gloves on while I'm riding.
Bike
  • 3h 13m 36s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.36 mile/hr
Comments:

The first 30 miles were going great. I was averaging 20 mph (which is good for me). I was getting passed like I was standing still but I still felt pretty good. Then at mile 30 I took a turn to fast and just bit it. I went down hard. scraped up my arms, left leg and ankle. The volunteers directing traffic were great. I was a little lightheaded after the fall so I had to take a few minutes to get my bearings but I just wanted to hop back on and keep my good race going. I got on the bike started riding and my front wheel felt wierd. I pulled over to take a look and it was flat. NUTS! There went my race. I got my tube and stuff out of my bike bag and it took me forever to get my tire off the rim. Once I did that I put the inner tube in, got the tire back on the rim and loaded the CO2 cartridge to pump the tire up. I think I hit a wrong button or something cause I heard all this are escaping from the cartridge and then nothing. I sat there for a bit thinking I used all the co2 and was trying to resolve myself to the fact I was not going to be able to finish this one. Then, like in the movies, I gave it one last try and the friggin thing inflated. YAY! So I packed my stuff into my bike bag and was back on the road after about 20-30 minutes of.

Not take the corners so fast and tight.
Transition 2
  • 03m 40s
Comments:

I was still a little shaken up from the fall and wasn't sure about running on my ankle. I took my time getting my shoes on and ran into the same problem racking my bike. There was no room for my bike so I had move stuff so I could get it in there.

Not much.
Run
  • 2h 47m 42s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

My ankle started giving me some greif during the run and it was bleeding pretty well so I did a walk/run for most of it. Not to mention I was just tired from the bike and being in the sun. Right now the run is also my weakest leg even without the bike accident.

I could have used more training runs this summer.
Post race
Warm down:

Went to the medical tent so they could disinfect the wounds. Had a bottle of water. Most of the food was gone by the time I finished which is rediculous. I can't believe they didn't prepare for that.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Falling on the bike.

Event comments:

A good race and well organized. The food thing at the end was a little disheartening. I've been to 5k races that have way too much food at the end and then a lot of the tri's or longer distance runs I do, there's not much at all. Wierd.
I did the race with my girlfriend who did really well. My parents also came up and it was so nice to have them there to support us. It was an absolutely beautiful day and even though I injured myself and had a terrible run - I did it! I could have stopped after the first run loop. I'm sure that's a debate many people had with themselves. But we did it and we should be proud!

Last updated: 2007-06-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:07 | 2112 yards | 01m 40s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/173
Overall: 210/1256
Performance: Good
Suit: sleeveless
Course: Point to Point
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:08
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:13:36 | 56 miles | 17.36 mile/hr
Overall: 1147/1256
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: Very nice sceneic course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Bad Cornering: Bad
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:40
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:47:42 | 13.1 miles | 12m 48s  min/mile
Overall: 1180/1256
Performance: Bad
Course: Two out and back loops.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-23 10:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Buffalo Grove, IL
Subject: Spirit of Racine Half Ironman Triathlon

2007-07-23 10:14 AM
in reply to: #896807

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
Subject: RE: Spirit of Racine Half Ironman Triathlon
Way to go, man!  I was in medical too, I think I may have seen you.  Bummer about the crash but way to tough it out.
2007-07-23 10:17 AM

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Way to gut it out after your accident, man. That's got to be tough. Also, great swim! Just take the good away from this one and go for a better one next time. Congrats on finishing.
2007-07-23 10:25 AM

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL

A 6:44 WITH a crash and a 20-30 flat tire stop, and running on a bum ankle.  WAY TO GO!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Spirit of Racine Half Ironman Triathlon Rss Feed