General Discussion Race Reports! » Door Country Triathlon - Short Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Door Country Triathlon - Short Course - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Egg Harbor, Wisconsin
United States
Door Country Triathlon
Total Time = 1h 40m 2s
Overall Rank = 307/668
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 30/39
Pre-race routine:

Stayed at my brother's place in Sturgeon Bay. Woke up at 6am, had a bagel with PB and banana. Took in some water and tea. Got to the park at 7:15, got body marked, picked up the chip, and set up transition. Ate some SportBeans.
Event warmup:

Just some light stretching and a short run to get the legs moving a bit. Also, wisely, I put the wetsuit on a bit early to get out into the chilly water and swim a few strokes.
Swim
  • 09m 5s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

Considering this was only my second tri, and my second OWS, I think I did much better than my first race at Delavan. Completely freaked out in that race. This time I was smart enough to get out in the water before the race and get rid of my fears a bit. Felt much better. I was actually very happy with this swim. I was able to do some freestyle for much of the time, which is a big improvement for me. I think my limiter this time was I started at the back of the wave, worried that I would have people swimming over me like in Delavan. Turns out, I kept catching people and having to slow down or move to the outside, which really slowed me down. Next time, I'm starting more towards the front.
What would you do differently?:

Start more towards the front of the pack.
Transition 1
  • 03m 29s
Comments:

My plan going in was to take it easy in transition. I wanted to lower my heartrate after the swim, and start off the bike nice and easy. The slow transition time is fine with me. I can work on that over time.
Bike
  • 1h 00m 2s
  • 18 miles
  • 17.99 mile/hr
Comments:

I improved my bike speed over my first tri by 3mph, so I'm happy with that. Much of that comes from having an actual road bike vs. my mountain bike on the first race. Still getting used to the new bike, so I think I still have plenty of room for improvement.

More bike work in training.
Transition 2
  • 01m 48s
Comments:

Again, I wanted to lower the heart rate leading into the run, so I took it fairly slow in transition.
Run
  • 25m 36s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my best time for a 5k run in a race, so I was happy to be able to pull it off on its own, let alone after a swim and bike. I feel like I could have maybe pushed a little harder in parts, but I took it easy coming out of transition because my legs were a bit shaky. Slowly built up the pace after that. Very happy with the run.

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some water and scanned the crowd for my wife, who was cheering me on at every transition and down the finish chute. I watched her race the Danskin, and she watched me compete here. Next race, we will be doing together, as we did in Delavan. Had a BBQ pork sandwich, corn and a beer. Great post-race reward!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I pulled a muscle in my back 2 weeks before the race, so I was very limited in my training leading up to the race. I was happy to compete at all, but I met all my goals and exceeded my expectations. I'm very happy with my performance.

Event comments:

This event was very well run. Kudos to Sean Ryan and the event staff. We have not been to many events yet, but this was definitely the most enjoyable. Great setting, great course, great organization. I would recommend this race to anyone. I hope to be ready for the Olympic distance next year.

Last updated: 2007-07-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:05 | 440 yards | 02m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/39
Overall: 0/668
Performance: Good
Suit: Full sleeve WetZoot
Course: Straight out past the pier, then sharp left towards the boat launch.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:29
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:00:02 | 18 miles | 17.99 mile/hr
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:48
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:36 | 03.1 miles | 08m 16s  min/mile
Course: Out and back. Flat, and in the sun.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-07-23 12:53 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Door Country Triathlon - Short Course

2007-07-23 10:48 PM
in reply to: #897252

User image

Extreme Veteran
Green Bay, WI
Subject: RE: Door Country Triathlon - Short Course
Congrats on the second tri!!! I agree, this is the best race by far that I've done so far.....probably be back next year!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Door Country Triathlon - Short Course Rss Feed