General Discussion Race Reports! » New Jersey State Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

New Jersey State Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
West Windsor, New Jersey
United States
CGI Racing
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 57m 9s
Overall Rank = 1/759
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

Stayed at the Hyatt on Rt 1. Great hotel and will probably stay there next year too. Got up at 4:30 and took a shower. Some light stretching and then off to the race site. Stopped at Dunkin Doughnuts and got a bagel with light cream cheese. Got that in me and got some water and Infinit in me. At this moment I realized that race nutrition was all banged up. Oh well.
Event warmup:

Took the bike out for a spin after transition was set up. Rode about 4-5 miles mostly spinning in the small ring. Some bigger efforts mixed in just to get my HR up. Similar ride to last year. Swim warmups were closing out so I decided to run. Did about 1.5 miles of light running to loosen the legs up. Felt like my legs were responding much better than last weeks race.
Swim
  • 06m 38s
  • 550 yards
  • 01m 13s / 100 yards
Comments:

Had a good amount of HS and College swimmers to deal with today. Usually not in my wave but it was ok. These guys are just swimming way too much for me to try and compete. Maybe 10+ years ago when all I was doing was swimming it would be different but not today. About 5 guys just bolted and I decided that it was not worth going anaerobic to stay with them. Let them go and drafted off another guy for a good portion of the swim. He was swimming a great line so I decided to hang on his feet and hip for a bit.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

Shoe tounges where a little bunched on my left shoe but they worked themselves into the correct position. Some how got into T1 6th and came out 1st or 2nd. Passed the lead guy about 50 yards into the ride and was out with the police car again. All too familiar territory.

Nothing
Bike
  • 31m
  • 13.5 miles
  • 26.13 mile/hr
Comments:

Right away I was in familiar territory. Right out in front and my legs were responding. Much better than Stone Harbor, my legs were flat and just didn't want to do anything there. Once I got my HR down I was holding 28-33 for most of the ride. Really hammering and feeling good. HR was way up but I expected it to be since I had decided to really ride hard for this ride. Great gear selection. Mixed between big and small ring when I needed it. Was pretty happy a few times on the flats to be over 30 MPH and holding it for a good bit. That is where I should be based on my training and base at this point of the year. At the turn I got a good look at who was coming on the bike. 2nd place guy was far enough back that I was ok but really decided to put it down and try and open the lead more.

Nothing
Transition 2
  • 00m 41s
Comments:

Quick T2. Bike right at the bike in like last year so I knew the deal. Stephen Del Monte was there screaming his head off at me to hurry up and get my shoes on and helmet off and get out of there. Put an extra jump in my time I guess. Off and running like crazy to get out of T2 and out of sight.

Nothing
Run
  • 17m 52s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 05m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

I needed this run. Last weeks run really took a mental toll on me. Got off running good and really stayed to my own game plan. Run hard and don't look back. The rollers were taking a little bit of a toll on me but I was making sure to keep my strides nice and short and fast. That was a good sign. Helped a lot. Got to the turn around and was feeling good. The lead bike rider was pacing me good and I was feeling ok. Coming out of the long turn around section I got a look at the 2nd place guy. He was moving and I started to get a little worried. Made it back to the water station and was starting to hurt pretty badly. Grabbed a quick drink of water and dumped the rest on my head. Decided it was going to be "do or die" time pretty soon and was just waiting to figure out when was the right time. One last look over my shoulder and I could see that the 2nd place guy was coming hard but had not closed that much more on me. But he was coming for sure. He apparently was running 5 min miles as per the results. Got to the last up hill section and put my head down. Gave it everything I had and when I got to the top my lungs held up ok and I got a nice burst of energy. Took off hard and realized it was only about a .25 out to the finish line. Came around the turn, saw Steve's wife running over to the far end of the finish shoot screaming and hollering at me to hammer it out, made the right turn and saw the finish line. Glad to see Dee from the TRI team standing there holding the tape. Broke the tape and was elated that it was all over.

Nothing. Running is always going to be a mental game for me until I drop another 10-15 lbs and really get a super huge base under me. It will come with time.
Post race
Warm down:

Spoke to a lot of guys and just hung out. Hung out with Matt Kemple for quite a while and had a beer with him.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing

Event comments:

Again an A+ for this race. Last year for the 1st year was a great race this year was 100 times better. From the expo to the awards, food, give always...a great time. As I said last year highly recommend this event.

Next year the OLY is on the list for me.

Last updated: 2007-05-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:38 | 550 yards | 01m 13s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 7/759
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri Suit Shorts
Course: Beach start with a straight swim to a bouy, left turn and straight in to the boat ramp.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:59
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:31:00 | 13.5 miles | 26.13 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 1/759
Wind: Some
Course: Different loop than last year. Some more graded sections. No major hills but a few ups and downs. Again like I said last year as soon as your HR would settle, it would be time to change gears and go again. HR back up. Pretty tough course. Not really thrilled with the goofy turn around in the parking lot. Shotty road surface and loose gravel all over the place.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:41
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:17:52 | 03.11 miles | 05m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 5/759
Course: Straight out and back with lots of rolling hills. Steep short ups and long downs.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-07-23 2:02 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: New Jersey State Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2007-07-23 2:30 PM
in reply to: #897420

User image

Veteran
Haddonfield, NJ
Subject: RE: New Jersey State Triathlon - Sprint Distance

Wow!!  Nice race.  A guy I worked with was racked very close to you.  He was riding a Fuji Team.  Anyway he said "the guy who won was really fast" and then I hop on here and read your report.

Awesome race and congratulations!

2007-07-23 2:52 PM

User image

Expert
Thanks....
2007-07-23 2:59 PM

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ

congratulations!

wow, you were done with the race and i was still on my bike! super job!

2007-07-23 3:02 PM
in reply to: #897554

User image

Veteran
Congrats on an amazing race!
2007-07-23 3:15 PM

User image

Master
Cinnaminson, NJ
very nice work Mike....

2007-07-23 3:24 PM

User image

Master
SMIBville
awesome race man. way to tear it up and get the win!
2007-07-23 3:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Havertown, PA
holy smokes.  nice race.  saw you get your award and the announcer said you were smoking 2 packs a day a couple of years ago...?  that's crazy.  very impressive and inspiring.   congrats.
2007-07-27 12:55 PM

User image

Expert
San Diego
Dude, you're out of your mind. In a good way.
2007-07-27 1:33 PM

Champion
South Jersey

Great race, Mike! That's really cool that Steve and his wife were cheering you on.

Smokin' bike...that's really impressive. And, your run was great; I can't wait to see what you do when you get more miles on your legs. Good work !

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New Jersey State Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed