Beaver Lodge
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 00m 31s
Overall Rank = 89/138
Age Group = 50-59
Age Group Rank = 6/11
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 3 to get ready for the 2 hr drive to Colville and the Start at Beaver Lodge. Ate my usual pre race oatmeal and mashed banana and had a cup of coffee. Drove over to c cic's house to pack and go. Lucky me, she did all the driving!
Arrived in plenty of time to get marked, put together transition stuff and hang out a bit and talk with friends.
Event warmup:

A short swim right before the pre race meeting, ate a Power bar.
Swim
  • 23m 44s
  • 1056 yards
  • 02m 15s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was maybe a little too relaxed on the swim. Had bad chafing going on with tri top under wetsuit. I think next time, I'll either remember bodyglide or not wear the tri top under and put it on at T1. I really enjoyed the swim, started at the back and was able to catch some people and do a little drafting. Good navigation and swim pretty straight too.
What would you do differently?:

I need to get fast on the swim, practice practice and remember the bodyglide!
Transition 1
  • 03m 28s
Comments:

What can I say? Wet feet and dry socks........I was able to jog to T1 this time without being dizzy but lost some time getting into my socks. I'd forgotten to roll them up and just tried to slide them on.
Had trouble getting into my pedals but eventually got everything together.

roll up socks, practice!
Bike
  • 1h 18m 59s
  • 28 miles
  • 21.27 mile/hr
Comments:

This course was deceptive, overall new loss in altitude but there are a couple of good uphills and there was a good headwind too. I rode too hard thinking I needed to go really fast since it was downhill afterall. This was my fastest time for this distance. Got stung by wasps twice and the 2nd time tried to brush the wasp off of my hand and almost crashed, 40mph and serious speed wobble with one hand on aerobar, it was pretty darn exciting!

Keep effort level a little lower, wear my HRM to monitor this. Keep hands where they belong
Transition 2
  • 01m 23s
Comments:

I could be spoiled here, when I entered T2, a volunteer took my bike and helmet another gave me my run bag with shoes and hat. Sat down and made a pretty good changeover for me.

Take feet out of shoes before I get to T2
Run
  • 1h 12m 56s
  • 6.55 miles
  • 11m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a really hard run for me. After the hard effort on the bike my legs were tired and off we went, right into the grass, my feet felt like they were in cememt. Started too fast and spent most of the run trying to get HR under control. Walked a lot of hills and all of the aid stations. Water on my head at every station and Gatorade in. Still short on fluids at the end.

Ride a little slower, save something for run, start run slower and stay in control. Drink more.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank water and Gatorade and watched people finish. Walked around and we took a group picture.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of energy management and training.

Event comments:

The volunteers were just awesome! There were more volunteers than racers. I did see several people with ipods on the bike, NOT a good thing and several more on the run. This was a hard race for me and a good indicator of where I need to improve my training. I'll be back next year.

Last updated: 2007-07-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:44 | 1056 yards | 02m 15s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/11
Overall: 106/138
Performance: Good
Suit: New Promotion Sleeveless
Course: Triangular counter clockwise, 1 lap
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:28
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:18:59 | 28 miles | 21.27 mile/hr
Overall: 75/138
Performance: Good
Wind: Headwind
Course: Net loss so overall downhill.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:23
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:12:56 | 06.55 miles | 11m 08s  min/mile
Overall: 108/138
Performance: Below average
Course: 2 laps on grass and gravel path.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-23 8:44 PM

User image

Spokane
Subject: Tiger Tri

2007-07-24 11:06 PM
in reply to: #898159

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, WA
Subject: RE: Tiger Tri

Great job on your race! Good visual on your 40mph one hand "wobble"! Been there, done that........makes for a little "pucker factor"!

Keep up the good work!

2007-07-26 7:28 AM
in reply to: #898159

User image

Expert
Spokane, Washington
Subject: RE: Tiger Tri

Hey there, great race!  This was a toughie for a lot of people, but you did a good job pushing through anyway!  Glad the bee-wobble was just a wobble, could have been a lot worse - in fact, it's a good thing you have all that bike history, I bet a lot of people wouldn't have been able to pull that one off.  And I'm REALLY glad I didn't see it, it was scary enough hearing about it! 

And the swim!  Its amazing how far you've come - last year at this time that swim looked impossible, this year you just got out there and did it with no trouble!  And got out the water ahead of 32 people, too.  Bummer about the chafing, bodyglide is your friend! Smile

It was really fun to see you out there!  Can't wait for the next one!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tiger Tri Rss Feed