United States
Iron Girl
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 05m 48s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Athena 40+
Age Group Rank = 12/13
Pre-race routine:

Ate a Clif Z Bar and drank some Accelerade. 25 mins before my start, I took two puffs off the inhaler. (Thanks for holding it for me Joe!)

Before the race, I hung out with Mary, Bonnie and Marcy...and the guys.

While we were waiting for the swim start, there were 4 Pro/Elites...so we got to watch Desiree Ficker start. She was so sweet...after her race and during our race she cheered us on during the run. She even ran to the finish line with the last participant...very cool! The one and only time I wouldn't have minded being last. :)
Swim
  • 19m 1s
  • 500 meters
  • 03m 48s / 100 meters
Comments:

The water felt so good. It was the perfect temperature. On the start I stayed far right (close to the buoy) and back away from most people. I don't like all of the bumping around. When the horn sounded, I waited for the people in front of me to go so I would have room to swim...I haven't been swimming much so this was going to be a challenge. I swam freestyle for the most part. I breast stroked a few times when I was getting bumped or to get around the people that were swimming on their backs. I didn't pass very many people...my main goal was to keep my breathing and heartrate down...I succeeded. The swim just "felt" good.
What would you do differently?:

TRAIN!!!!!
Transition 1
  • 03m 22s
Comments:

I took my time to get my cycling gear on...hurry? Me? Nah!

Oh and when I arrived in transition, I realized I forgot to start my HRM on the swim...so I took off my chest strap and threw my watch at Randy...GREAT CATCH!
Bike
  • 48m 2s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 15.53 mile/hr
Comments:

Well...I haven't been on my bike since the MS150 and haven't taken many spin classes...so again...I was just looking to get through the bike without killing my legs...I took it easy. I knew I needed the legs for the run...my "favorite" event...NOT! LOL

The bike went well except when I dropped one of my Polar bottles! Although I thought about it, I didn't stop to pick it up. I had another one on the bike so I was okay. I didn't drink very much during the bike either.

I realized that I forgot to take off my cycling gloves, so did it as I ran out of transition...hey guess who was there cheering me on? YES! Randy...so I threw my gloves in his direction...they landed on the ground and thank goodness he picked them up for me! What would I do without him? He's the best jock strapper!

TRAIN!!!!!!!!
Transition 2
  • 01m 49s
Comments:

This transition went pretty well. I normally change my socks but thought I could save a minute or two (like THAT matters! LOL) if I didn't...so I wore the same ones.

Not much...move faster maybe?
Run
  • 53m 31s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 17m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

On the way out of transition, they were handing out fluid...so what do I do? I think "Oh I'll just get some later"...I regretted it later. I got pretty thirsty at about .5 miles...next fluid stop...1 mile further...I drank 1 gatorage and 1 water...ahhhhhhh!

Okay...my ran was more like interval training...walking...running...more walking...less running...and so on and so on and so on. I DID manage to run across the finish line...thanks to my loved ones at the finish line cheering me on...and who did I hear other than Randy? JOE!!!!!!! Whenever he is at a race, he always cheers me on the LOUDEST...I hear him far and wide...THANKS JOE...it always helps give my that little extra push!

TRAIN!!!!!!!
Post race
Warm down:

Gatorade...I was THRISTY!!!!! I visited with everyone that cheered me on at the finish line...Randy, Mary, Joe, Bonnie, Marcy, Steve, Charles and Teresa! We took some pics...it was a good time!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not training.

Event comments:

This was a good and fun race...it did NOT rain! I was so happy to see the sun! It was so nice to get my first race in this year...I know...it's ABOUT TIME!!! LOL

Last updated: 2007-07-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:01 | 500 meters | 03m 48s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/13
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: tri shorts and bra top
Course: Out to buoy and across to the other side.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:22
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:48:02 | 12.43 miles | 15.53 mile/hr
Wind: None
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:49
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:53:31 | 03.11 miles | 17m 13s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-23 11:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX (West of Houston)
Subject: RYKA Iron Girl Texas Triathlon

2007-07-24 8:30 AM
in reply to: #898324

User image

Expert
Williamsburg, VA
Subject: RE: RYKA Iron Girl Texas Triathlon
Great job on the race.  I was interested in your RR becasue I'm doing the Iron Girl in MD.  Very nervous about that race becasue of the hills on the bike and run.
2007-07-24 9:17 AM

User image

Expert
Plano, TX

Good job, Lisa!  Sorry we didn't see you at the race.  (I saw Randy before it started, though.)

Why did you take off the HR strap after the swim?  I'm always putting mine on in T1!

2007-07-24 11:39 AM

Master
Houston
Nice effort especially considering the low training volume!  You will be in better shape for the next one.  What is your next event?
2007-07-24 1:08 PM

User image

Veteran
McKinney, TX

Hey Lisa,

great job on the finish.

Yes I saw Desiree come in with the last lady - I pulled over and clapped up a storm before heading out.  I thought - wow - how's that for a finish?

Anyway, yeah always room for training!!! But a finish is good too.

BTW I NEVER started my heart monitor, but since I left it on the beginning screen (Exercise) I eyed it every so often to see where I was, how I was feeling, and what it was reading.

Congrats!!! Keep up the training!!! 

2007-07-24 6:38 PM

User image

Champion
the colony texas

great job on the first race of the year... just keep training and sign up for more

2007-07-24 7:07 PM

User image

Plano, TX
So sorry I missed you!  I am glad you got your first race for the year under your belt.  I am sure your next one will be better.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » RYKA Iron Girl Texas Triathlon Rss Feed