General Discussion Race Reports! » Spirit of Racine Half Ironman Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Spirit of Racine Half Ironman Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Racine, Wisconsin
United States
HFP Racing
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 04m 56s
Overall Rank = 920/
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 54/
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:05, had oatmeal and coffee right away. Eating earlier seems to have cured my GI issues -YAY YAY! Out the door by 4:35, at the race site by 4:50. Stand in line for 40 minutes because they didn't have the chips organized yet (grrr.). Drank lots of coffee. Run to portapotty. Set up transition. Stopped the coffee after the portapotty visit and switched to water and a gatorade. Gel just before I headed out at 6:55 to walk to the swim start.
Event warmup:

Walked to race start (about a mile).Swam a little.
Swim
  • 40m 46s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

Lake M. was smooth as glass. Navigation was a breeze and I was dead on almost all of the time. I even tried to push myself...something I don't usually do on the swim. Easily my best swim ever and a PR for this course.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing at all.
Transition 1
  • 02m 11s
Comments:

I had my shoes attached already and I ran in my socks. They don't allow flying starts at this race. MaggyRuth was volunteering at the mount line...and I was totally into my head and not paying attention...and I mounted probably 3 feet ahead of the line. OOPS! Maggy had to yell at me..."You know better!"...too funny :)

Nothing. AGain, a great transition for me.
Bike
  • 2h 49m 31s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.82 mile/hr
Comments:

I was just so pumped up from the great swim and transition that I really hammered for the first 15 miles or so. All I could think was that I was really having a great race. Around 15 miles I started reminding myself that my plan was to try to average around 18 mph to save for the run. I started trying to slow down but I kept catching myself passing large groups of people. Also early on the bike I took a huge swig of my Perp-we used the packets because our jug ran out. One packet was SUPPOSED to equal one scoop but I must use small scoops because that stuff was THICK and it made my stomach bubbly. I switched to small sips chased with water but my stomach remained upset and I didn't take in nearly what I needed to. At around mile 25 I really did slow down but it was too late - I'd really blown myself up. By mile 45 I was struggling and all the people I passed, passed me! Still a PR for the course though.

Slow DOWN! Not pass so many people - although in this race it's tough because the course is really crowded for the first 15 miles or so, it's hard to find a comfortable pace without sneaking up on large groups. Still, I played leapfrog way too much, and I let catching other people (especially this one woman in my age group on a QR bike!) be my priority instead of just riding my own race.
Transition 2
  • 02m 55s
Comments:

I am SOOO stupid! I actually forgot to unlace my shoes - DOH! Cost me at least 30 seconds, this whole transition was a minute slower than last year. I was tired, too.

HAH! Untie my damn shoes!
Run
  • 2h 29m 34s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

RIght away I felt pain on the inside of my left leg - I think I pulled something on the bike. It wasn't horrible but it made my run really awkward. But my stomach settled right down once I was upright, which was nice. I managed to run up the hills but then had to walk a little...where of course I saw Scmize and felt ASHAMED haha! Gave me the motivation to run again. Then just past the one mile mark I saw a guy from my tri club doubled over. I stayed with him until around mile 3 - lotta walking and a little running, until we just got medical to pick him up. Then I walked/ran the rest of the course. It was so much fun to see everyone! That's one thing I love about the double out and back - you see your friends over and over. It really helps the motivation. Toward the end of the run my leg really hurt and my back was starting to hurt too...slowed me down even more. I wasn't taking in any perp either, and I should have. My stomach was fine but I just couldn't gag the stuff down anymore. I did have gels, water, and a salt tab tho. NOT my best run, and a far cry from what I'd hoped for.

UM...not blow myself up on the bike maybe? SEriously. And more nutrition on the bike and on the run, I felt really energy depleted. That, more than anything, seems to affect my mental attitude. At the last turn around I knew that if I pushed hard I could have broken 6 hours at least, but mentally I didn't have any push left.
Post race
Warm down:

While in my daze I was trying to figure out how to get out of the chute I heard them call Laura (Whizzzz) so I didn't get to see her cross :( But I saw StartingtoTri cross, and MarkK, and I didn't actually see jschmitchicago but I was around for it at least. And some people from my tri club too. Then over to the med tent for an ice pack for my leg, and some fruit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of common sense on the bike. LEg and back on the run (tho not nearly as bad as prevous years :) Stopping with Robert, altho I did some math with turn around times from my watch - my pace sucked no matter what and that probably only cost me a few minutes in the big scheme of things. Nutrition - I am going to order some Infinit and see how that works. I've been using Perpetuem for a few seasons and it's time for a change.

Event comments:

Organizationally speaking this is still the best race ever. Lots of volunteers and police everywhere and friendly hose people on Main St. (the run). I wasn't planning to sign up for next year-I expect to have a lot of work commitments - but even on minimal training this year I had a blast, so I might have to rethink that decision :)

Last updated: 2006-09-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:46 | 2112 yards | 01m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 920/
Performance: Good
Suit: Zoot sleeveless
Course: I guess about 1/4 mile out to the first buoy, then point to point southbound in Lake Michigan.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:11
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:49:31 | 56 miles | 19.82 mile/hr
Overall: 733/
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: North out of Racine, then west into the county. Kind of a North-South zigzag, then back pretty much the way we came. There are some rough spots on the course - notably Three and Five Mile Roads. But mostly it's fine. Some hills-most of them not too challenging.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:55
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:29:34 | 13.1 miles | 11m 25s  min/mile
Overall: 718/
Performance: Bad
Course: They changed the course again this year..it's no longer FLAT! THere are two pretty mean hills at the beginning, and they kicked my butt. Then it's pretty flat behind the zoo out to Schoop park. Plenty of aid stations. The way back is a little different-you don't hit those hills but there is a small incline (feels huge tho). But you hit the hills again on lap 2.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-07-24 9:41 AM

User image

Elite
Racine, WI
Subject: Spirit of Racine Half Ironman Triathlon

2007-07-24 10:28 AM
in reply to: #898733

Champion
Subject: RE: Spirit of Racine Half Ironman Triathlon

Wooooo Cindy, you did awesome depsite the stomach issues on the bike.  I can't tell you how much it means to have friends at the race cheering for you.  Just when you feel like walking, you end up running cuz you don't want to let them down.  Nice job, next time remember to untie your shoes! 

2007-07-24 10:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Green Bay, WI
Awesome race! Must have been really nice that Lake Michigan was so calm! I just finished my first olympic so HIM is the next step but I have to figure out OWS first. But I'll def. keep this race in mind when I go for the HIM.
2007-07-24 10:51 AM

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Great job, Cindy! Blowing up on the bike seems to be the common thread for the day-- I think somebody should write a song about it, "Blowing Up The Bike". It would be a rock song, maybe along the lines of White Zombie. Then the follow-up would be a dirge-like "Long, Long Way To Home" to capture the run experience. I'm thinking Morrissey could sing it to capture the feeling of utter desperate futility.

Way to hang tough, though, and still turn in a really good time. Congrats on the swim PR!
2007-07-24 11:12 AM

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL

Congrats on the race.  Seems a lot of lessons were learned the hard way that day.  Very cool to stay with your tri-club friend till the next aid station where he could get some medical help. 

2007-07-24 11:12 AM

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member

Cindy - you ROCK!!  You went into this race with real life taking a front seat to your training and you STILL had an awesome time!  Of course, by being so freakin' fast, I didn't get to see you cross the finish line....

Thanks again for all your help this weekend!

Edited by StartingToTri 2007-07-24 11:22 AM

2007-07-24 11:28 AM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois

Cindy that was a great race, especially considering how busy your life has been the last 4-5 months.  Sorry I caught you walking on the run, but glad I motivated you a bit to keep it up.  Great swim/bike PRs, too!

What the heck, I guess they are having a 101 next year?  You mine as well do that!

2007-07-24 11:39 AM
in reply to: #898956

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

CindyK - Queen of the SE WI tri world.  Great job on the race and on being a great "host".

2007-07-25 6:03 AM

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

Wow- you had a great race- I wish could swim like that!!

It was great meeting you and thanks for organizing dinner!!!!

2007-07-25 7:03 AM

User image

Pro
Without house

You could have done a flying start...just PAST THE MOUNT LINE!!  (I swear I didn't think my vocal cords were going to be able to say anything else after all my yelling).

Great job on the race.  Great to meet you, and thanks for volunteering at the sprint the day before. 

2007-07-25 8:36 AM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Great job Cindy!  Nice to meet you at dinner Sat. night - thanks for organizing it.  Congrats!!

2007-07-25 8:59 AM

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL

Cindy,

Great race.  Solid bike.  Way to stick out the run, and also manage to look out for your fellow tri-clubbers.  Those hills on the run were rather wicked.  I wasn't expecting the second hill, and it definitely hurt a bit.

It was good to see you again at SOR.  This makes 3 years in a row now? 

Hope to see you and Mark at PP! 

2007-07-25 1:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
Hi Cindy - Nice job at the race! I'm surprised to hear that you did it with minimal training, too. You were super fast on the bike!
It was really great to meet you! Congrats again!
2007-07-26 2:32 PM

User image

Elite
In The Peleton
Nice to finally meet you Cindy!  Nice work out there. 
2007-07-28 3:02 PM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

I don't know how I missed your race report?!?!?!?!??

Nice work out there... you had the race I wanted... (!!!) Was hoping to run 11:30's... but you know, that bicycle enthusiasm always gets the best of us.

You blew me away on the finishing straightaway. I couldn't even say hello... I was delirious, and you were going fast!

Good to see you again, girl. Laughing Maybe see you Sunday, too?!?!? 

Congratulations!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Spirit of Racine Half Ironman Triathlon Rss Feed