United States
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 11m 13s
Overall Rank = 279/1823
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 66/207
Pre-race routine:

We had been in Santa Rosa for a couple days prior to the race and did some things like pre-drive the bike and run courses, which proved to be very valuable. I got up at 4:30, quick shower along with some food and Gatorade and we were out the door. Only problem was that I was having a hard time getting down all the food I wanted so I switched to a couple different things. My body doesn't like eating first thing in the morning. I still got enough in me though to be good and ready to go. Drove to the race listening to the awful radio stations but at least it was a really nice drive; very scenic. We were talking about how nice it would have been to be camping somewhere in there.
Event warmup:

Got into my transition area and talked with a couple guys next to me. Set things up, waited in line for the bathroom forever and then finally was able to make it down by the water. Since it's a swim in the river, there's really no place to warm up until the time before your wave is called to enter the water, and then you have 8 minutes to warm up. Got in the water and surprisingly, it wasn't nearly as crowded as I expected. They had split up our AG enough to make it very easy to move through, but that's good considering the river is fairly narrow if everyone, or even half of the AG was in there at once. I swam about 100 yards and then got ready to go.
Swim
  • 39m 3s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 51s / 100 yards
Comments:

Once I was in the water and realized it wasn't going to be a terribly crowded and thrashing start, I was thinking I could have a really good swim. Really, there was no reason not to. It was a straight shot, we weren't sighting into the sun, and you could never get too far to one side or severely off course because of the river banks. As I was sitting in the water though, I was having mild bouts of anxiety about the race (it was like this on and off for most of the day or two leading up to it) and then I just figured that it was my race and of course there are going to be a lot of people faster than me so I just needed to do what I can and be happy with it. Focusing on me instead of everyone else seemed to lift a lot of that tension and then we were off.

There was minimal contact and instead of flooring it, I started out nice and easy just as planned. I picked it up some after about 200 yards and got into a good, steady rhythm. My plan was to stay just above a moderate effort until the turn around and then push it some more on the way back. I had some feet sporadically, but I realized the feet I was on were too slow, not to mention his navigating was worse than mine. When I finally decided to pass, I had no problem and was kicking myself for not doing so earlier. About 3/4 of the way back, I got passed by someone from the wave behind me (started in 8' intervals). Whoever it was they were flying. They had 20 feet on me in the time it took me to sight twice. I kept doing what I needed to, but found myself in the middle of no-man's land with no feet out there. Then I saw the finish and picked it up a little more. I got out of the water at 38'04", which was well beyond the 35' I had hoped for.

Running up the mat there were two guys in front of me walking and talking. Since it was rocks outside of the mat leading up to T1, I couldn't go around. After waiting for a few seconds to see if they'd move, I just busted through like it was 4th and inches. I was too out of breath to really talk, but kind of got out a "scuse me."
What would you do differently?:

Thinking about my swim a little bit, I definitely have the endurance part down, but lack a little bit of the strength and that's all on me. As I got busier at work in the last few weeks, if there was a workout that needed to be skipped, I'd sacrifice the swim. Whether that was 30" or 3' for this race I don't know, but I'm sure it played something of a role. Also, I could have pushed a little harder on the way back in. I probably took it too comfortable and could have stepped it up a notch. That said, I didn't feel wasted at all coming out of the water which may have served me well for the rest of the race.
Transition 1
  • 02m 24s
Comments:

Aside from trying to take off my wetsuit, put on shoes and socks while dancing around on rocks, T1 went well. Also, since it's a point to point race, we had to pack up T1 into a plastic bag which also took a second or two. But I didn't lose anything in this race by a second or two so that's mostly a non-issue.

Bring a towel to stand on. Oops.
Bike
  • 2h 40m 17s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.96 mile/hr
Comments:

This is probably the most technical bike course I've been on from the standpoint of having a lot of corners as well as rolling, winding roads that had plenty of places for error. I saw 3 people that had crashed (one in a stretcher - hope he's alright). Really, it's one of those courses where if you start to lose focus, you could find yourself eating pavement. Part of that's also due to the mix of chip seal and some shadows that make it hard to see everything. It can be a little hypnotizing. To be clear, that's not a knock against the course or the race, but it's not a casual ride where you can just put your head down and hammer.

Coming out of T1 there's a small hill and you mount your bike on the hill. I saw a guy running his bike to the top, passing several people so I followed suit and mounted at the top. Worked great. Then there's about 4-5 miles of flat to slightly downhill before a really sharp turn that was also great to settle in, spin the legs and get ready to go. I loved that part of it. As I was going I felt really good and my legs were strong. I was passing plenty of people and everyone out there was really encouraging. I got more good jobs, way to go, and otherwise encouraging comments in this race than all the races I've ever done combined. In addition to that, riders were very courteous about pointing things out as if it were a group ride. Whether it was an ejected bottle, loose rocks, or anything else, people were great about helping others avoid it.

My plan for the ride was to average between 200-210 watts. I checked my average after 1 hour and was at about 215. I kept to my nutrition plan pretty well so I didn't lose too much power at the end. However, after the second gel I started to feel it come back up. Or maybe just not go down all the way. I really thought I might barf but kept going. Same thing happened after the third one so I ended up one gel short for the ride. Also, when I opened my Clif Bar early on, my Endurolytes fell out of the bento box. All of them. Finally, my bottle ejected from the saddlewing at some point near the end. I had taken about 3/4 of it, but still wanted the rest. I probably ended up about 150 calories short of where I wanted. Not devastating, but I would have liked to have them.

As I rolled through the second hour, I was still over 200 watts and feeling good. At some point, I let off a little bit and pushed around 180-185 watts on mostly flats and small rollers in anticipation of a hill that's at mile 45 (I think). It's steep but short. Feeling good, I had been looking forward to it. I put on a good effort to get up it and probably passed 15 people in that short section alone. I knew from there it was mostly smooth sailing to the end of the bike.

Coming into the bike finish I wanted to be under 2:40:00 and I would have sworn I was, but apparently not. There was one point on the course where I had to stop for about 45" (as did everyone) because a firetruck and ambulance were going through the intersection. Not a huge delay, but maybe that's my sub-2:40:00. Who knows. Either way, my average watts were 206 right where I wanted to be.

As I was getting ready to dismount, we come in and there are 3 speed bumps since it's in a high school parking lot. The guy about 20 feet in front me crashed his bike going over the first one. And he hit the pavement pretty damn hard. I felt bad but then looked up and saw a couple people running out to help him and they stepped right in front of me. Not trying to be an inconsiderate dickhead, but they almost made me crash too and after maneuvering to avoid the fallen rider,I couldn't maneuver anywhere in time to do anything else. Fortunately, they got out of my way just in time.

Nothing. I was really happy with this bike time and the effort on a tough course. I need to re-check my ergomo but I think there was 2000' of climbing on the course. I'll edit this if that's not true after I download things.
Transition 2
  • 02m 23s
Comments:

Running into T2 with my bike took a while because my rack was a ways down and I was behind a slow person. Aside from that, the process went really smoothly. When I got off my bike though, the first two things I noticed were that my left hamstring was tight and so was my lower right back.

Not a lot to do differently.
Run
  • 1h 47m 4s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

I started the run slightly concerned about how my legs would respond because I pushed harder on the bike than in my last HIM and I still had bike legs. Once I got going though, within the first mile my legs worked out and I did the first mile sub-7. I knew that was too quick but my effort wasn't high at all so I went with it. Next mile was around 7:15 then 7:45 and then 8:00 which was right where I wanted to be. I was surprised that I moved through the first four miles that easily and quickly since, again, my effort was not that of whatever the average pace is for those first 4 miles.

Somewhere in mile 4 there's a decent hill, but fortunately it's shaded. After that it's completely exposed. I don't know if it was the hill, the sun, the bike, or some combination thereof, but after running a couple miles in the sun the wheels started to fall off. I got to mile 6 and was walking through the aid stations. If they were selling, I was buying and in large quantities. Water, Gatorade, Water, Coke, orange, water for my head and move on. Where I was moving through them quickly just picking up something in stride earlier, I was now having a full on picnic and I wasn't alone. With just a little less than 6 miles to go I looked at my watch and it dawned on me that if I had the run of my life I could get in under 5 hours, and besides, what's a little 10k? I started thinking about everyone doing the Peak and figured it was hot as hell there and figured everyone got through it with good times and they were all sitting around drinking beers, which is what I wanted to be doing. So, intent on trying to go under 5, I picked up the pace to see what happened and for how long. What happened was that I ran about a 7:15 pace for a half mile and that was it. There was nothing more I could give. The best way to describe it is that it felt like I was a toy and someone screwed the bolts into my hips too tightly to limit their freedom of motion.

From there my mission became moving from one aid station to the next, hanging out there and moving on so I could finish. I ran all the parts in between, but took a nice 20-30" at each station (every mile). Once I passed the mile marker I knew I was home and just tried to hang on. I got passed by one guy but hung on to his feet to the end and passed him in the chute.

It's tough to say. I don't think going out at the pace I did was the reason I didn't have a better run. I've thought about how I just need to suck it up a little more, but for the 1/2 mile I tried and it didn't happen. My pace between the mile markers (and overall) isn't super terrible, but it's nowhere close to how awful I felt. If I ran 10s - 12s, that would be more consistent with how I felt. I don't know how I actually gained 3 spots in my AG other than assuming everyone else felt just as poorly.
Post race
Warm down:

Got my picture taken, had cold water sponges put over my neck and shoulders and laid in the shade behind the PowerBar tent. My body felt completely wrecked and didn't know how to respond. I literally felt like I should be laughing, crying, screaming and sleeping all at once. So instead I just tried staying out of the sun. Once I got up we walked around a little to get some food and then I got a massage, which was great. We didn't stick around much longer though because it was so damn hot and there wasn't a ton of shade.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The sun? Need more heat training probably. Still, this was a PR at the HIM distance for me so I can't be completely disappointed. The run was sub-par but it was still a solid race even though I know I have more potential when all three parts come together.

Event comments:

This race went off without a hitch and is very well run. There were tons of volunteers and support, and the athletes were all friendly as well. My only complaint would that there needs to be more shade for the post-race activities. There were people eating their food in the dugouts of the baseball field, sitting alongside the high school to capture that 1 foot of shade, etc. Otherwise it was fun to be a part of.

Last updated: 2007-07-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:03 | 2112 yards | 01m 51s / 100yards
Age Group: 135/207
Overall: 0/1823
Performance: Average
Suit: 2XU Elite
Course: In a river that went straight down, turn around and straight back. A couple minor turns and bends with the river, but nothing big.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:24
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:40:17 | 56 miles | 20.96 mile/hr
Age Group: 68/207
Overall: 332/1823
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Very technical with winding, rolling hills. There were also a few good flatter parts that you could open it up on to spin out the legs. There was only one big climb at about mile 45 but it was pretty short.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:23
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:47:04 | 13.1 miles | 08m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 65/207
Overall: 265/1823
Performance: Below average
Course: Rolling hills on blacktop with a lot of exposure to the sun.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-07-24 1:39 PM

User image

Expert
Denver
Subject: Vineman 70.3

2007-07-24 3:49 PM
in reply to: #899313

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO
Subject: RE: Vineman 70.3

That run description sound eerily familiar . . .

I won't even try to understand what exactly happened, because some of this stuff is still a total mystery to me.  The only obvious issue was dropping the electrolytes, but would that really be worth 1 minute/mile?  I guess maybe, but it seems unlikely.  I had the same thought about my race and heat training, so could be that too I guess.

Anyway, I think you had a great race.  For that much climbing you had a really fast bike, and the swim time, although not your all time best, was still not too bad.  Sounds like an awesome event in a great place too.  And you PR'd.  On balance, a solid race all the way around. 

2007-07-24 5:28 PM

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut

Nice race there Ryan great job sounds liek a tough day at the office and you had an amazing bike split for such a hilly course.

Good job on thr PR, you will easily go under 5 hours on a flat course in better weather conditions...

2007-07-24 5:46 PM

User image

Expert
Conifer, Colorado
Great race and report! I feel you on the heat training! I went out today because I got so worked over on the run at the Peak and that was on a short course...

Funny thing: when I was running and feeling like @$$ i thought about you and my buddy (who was running IMLP), and sort of felt like a for not digging deeper. I might have stepped it up a bit.

Your ride sounded super strong and obviously you made time there! Nice! Even though you were a bit disappointed with your swim, I don't think it hurt you much. The run... well, I KNOW you can do better. Run in the sun off the bike... You are a sub 5 hour HIM guy for sure!
2007-07-25 9:28 AM

User image

Master
Denver
Hard to be upset with a PR... I think you mentioned that this was the "A" race for your season but I think it will help set you up to really kick as at the Long Course in 3 weeks since you can build on it and take away some lessons.
2007-07-25 11:56 AM

User image

Regular
Madison, CT

Great Race!  It sounds like you had a solid swim and your bike split was awesome with that much climbing.  Although you weren't happy with your run (and I know you can do much better) it wasn't too bad considering the heat.  I liked your description of feeling like a toy with your hips bolted on too tight.  That was exactly how I felt last year when I blew up on my marathon.  I'm convinced it was due to dehydration and not taking in the calories.  I think we all need to train more in the heat to get used to it and probably take in a lot more fluids and calories than we normally do.

Overall sounds like a great trip and experience.  I'm sure the experience will help you on the Long Course.

Congrats on the PR! 

2007-07-25 12:36 PM

User image

Expert
Amazing how similar your RR sounds compared to the reports I read for the Peak!!!  Everyone blew up on the run.  The difference is  - and this is a big one - you were doing a HIM and we were doing an Oly.  I agree w/ Dime.  You've definitely got a sub 5 HIM in you.  With some recovery, I suspect we'll get to see it at the Long Course in Boulder.
2007-07-27 8:42 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Great report!  Sounds like a challenging course.  Yea it was hot at the peak but nothing compares to long course.  That has happened to us all on the run!  Great race!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Vineman 70.3 Rss Feed