General Discussion Race Reports! » Spirit of Racine Half Ironman Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Spirit of Racine Half Ironman Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Racine, Wisconsin
United States
HFP Racing
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 54m 49s
Overall Rank = 822/1256
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Spent the night in Libertyville at my dad's so I drove up to the expo and met schmize and hangloose at the beach. Went back to Lville for some R&R. Arrived in plenty of time in the morning to get a good parking spot. I had some pasta and a breakfest bar. Wasn't nervous at all for the start and went walking down the beach in the wetsuit instead of waiting in line at the porty-john :)
Event warmup:

Did some shoulder exercises to loosen up the joints, no swimming though.
Swim
  • 34m 30s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

Line up in my normal spot, front row and on the outside. Horn sounded and I began the long wade into deeper waters. I hit the first turn nowing sub 30 was out as it took forever to start swimming. I was thinking a high 31 was possible given the chop and length of water I needed to wade through. About 20 mins into the swim I devloped a nasty headache that was relentless - just pounding to my heart beats. I felt like I had stayed out till 4am. Rounded the last buoy and needed in, glanced at my time I was way off target posting my slowest split ever.
Transition 1
  • 04m 4s
Comments:

I just sat on the ground wondering if I should even continue, my head was pouding and my stomach was upset. I decided to start out on the bike and see if my headache/upset stomach would work themselves out.
Bike
  • 3h 01m 28s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.52 mile/hr
Comments:

My goal was 2:45-2:50 for the bike leg, I thought I could hit that pace and still have a decent-ish run based on this summer's training. Right up the hill, my foot came uncliped and I racked myself - which took the attention away from my head and stomach. Now my boys hurt but would feel better quickly. The ride out of Racine was awful, all the bumps in the rode would send sharp pains through my head and my stomach was starting to really turn. Just told myself - maybe it will be better in an hour and kept peddling. I was on a disc with aero helmet and I'm sitting up soft pedaling, felt like a dumbass but I couldn't ride aero with the bumps in the rode. Somewhere around mile 10, I had enough and pulled in behind a dumpster and let it fly....stomach empty. I was able to sip Infinit from time to time but I had to force it down. I knew I needed my 800 calories during the ride. I bounced a bottle at some point, I still have no idea what happened to the bottle and later noticed my hydrotail had cracked. Lovely...grabbed Infinit at the drops which went down easier than my blend, maybe because it was cold. I continued to soft pedal the bike leg but from time to time would go aero and try and step on the gas...that would work for a min or two at a time and then the pounding headache would come back. So my ride could be summed up as a bounced bottle, barfing, and soft peddling my way to a 3:01.
What would you do differently?:

I think you can take a guess here...
Transition 2
  • 02m 37s
Comments:

At this point, told myself, might as well go run you've suffered this far.
Run
  • 2h 12m 9s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

My legs were back right away but spiking my HR would hurt the head, so I stayed at 155-159 HPM - this was the zone that would keep my head from pounding. I stopped at water stops and loaded up on water and Infinit. I avoided any and all food, my stomach seemed back to normal, but I didn't want to take any chances. The first loop saw tons of CTC'ers and at mile 5'ish I started smiling and even laughed a little. I knew I had won. I had felt like complete crap for 4+ hrs and I was still going. At this point the headache was gone or nearly gone and my stomach felt good-ish. I picked up the pace and each mile ticked off faster than the last, I was only walking for 30 secs at aid stations to shoove drink down my mouth otherwise I was running with form. At the last turnaround, I was in a great rhythm really picked up the pace and didn't stop at the last aid station, I knew I had enough gas in the tank to finish strong. A nice downhill finish and I was in the chute with a 2:12 half mary. Not great, but pretty good.
Post race
Warm down:

Dumped water over my head and saw my step mom and brother and said I'd met them at home. Didn't have any post race hum hums as I didn't feel like eating at the time. Hit a Wendy's on the way home which really hit the spot though.

Event comments:

I blew my 6:16 1/2 PR out of the water but was dissapointed in the day. I had the fitness for a much fast day but it wasn't in the cards. I think the headache was caused by slapping my head back in the water while sighting, just a hunch though. One more race (Lake Zurich) before Imoo, At least I learned to suffer out there.

Last updated: 2007-05-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:30 | 2112 yards | 01m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 184/1256
Performance: Below average
Suit: Sleevless
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:04
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:01:28 | 56 miles | 18.52 mile/hr
Overall: 995/1256
Performance: Bad
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:37
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:12:09 | 13.1 miles | 10m 05s  min/mile
Overall: 813/1256
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-07-24 3:09 PM

User image

over a barrier
Subject: Spirit of Racine Half Ironman Triathlon

2007-07-24 4:24 PM
in reply to: #899549

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Spirit of Racine Half Ironman Triathlon

Definite points for the gut-check in T1...and the bike...and T2...

You dodged the whole "hammer the bike...suffer the run..." that we're seeing. 

2007-07-24 4:24 PM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

Dude, about 5 seconds after I crossed the line I heard the guy call your name.  I looked for you and couldn't find you but because of that my first semi-coherent thought after "I finished!" was "Oh, Hayes is gonna be pissed!" because you didn't catch me.  After reading your RR, like me, you really weren't caring about any of that stuff at that point.  You should have joined me in the med tent, we could have compared notes.

Way to "gut" it out, and at IMMOO try to go a little easier on the boys.  This sport is rough enough on them.

2007-07-24 4:36 PM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

Holy Cats! It was miserable out there, wasn't it? I don't know what the deal was... I felt like I had fitness to do way better than I did... but I suffered ALOT on the run. BLAH.

Glad you were able to regain some semblance of normalcy on the run.

And congratulations on a new PR! Kiss

2007-07-24 4:40 PM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois
Nice to meet you on Saturday.  Looks like you had fun with the cards that were dealt.  A PR is a PR.  Now you can get ready for the ultimate goal.  Which, I may be up there to either volunteer or at least watch.....
2007-07-24 5:20 PM

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL
Way to work things 'out' and let it 'fly' when needed.  Congrats on the PR!!!

2007-07-24 6:54 PM

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN

Hayes, sounds like a tough race, but you perservered...sounds like Lake M was fairly choppy, but I obviously would've been celebrating a 1:38/100 swim...

Wasn't nervous at all for the start and went walking down the beach in the wetsuit instead of waiting in line at the porty-john

For some reason I read that and thought: 'he's gonna go pee in the lake instead of wait in line...'

Way to gut out the race...just more practice for IMOO...

And DUDE...YOU PRed!!!  I'd take it...congrats...

2007-07-25 11:04 AM

User image

Elite
Way to persevere in really conditions.  My wife and I are volunteering at IronmanMoo so hopefully we get a chance to meet.
2007-07-25 11:38 AM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Way to stick with it!  Weird how the headache popped up.  Hope your IM WI training goes well.  Congrats.
2007-07-25 5:01 PM

User image

Expert
Denver
Not sure what else to say other than 'wow.' That's a lot of to put up with in one race! Good job on toughing it out - I'm sure it was incredibly tempting to bag it and go lay down in the shade somewhere. Let's just hope that this is the bad race of the season so you can go flawlessly at IMWI! 
2007-07-26 9:55 AM

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member

Holy CRAP!  What a race.

Good job sucking it up and getting it done.  And this just sets you up for an AWESOME IMOO.

2007-07-26 10:07 AM

User image

Elite
Racine, WI

For such a beautiful day in terms of weather, a LOT of us seemed to have issues!  I developed a nasty headache on the bike too, I'd kind of forgotten about it until now. Wonder what's up with THAT?

Anyway, awesome job toughing it out.  Great mental training for IMOO...I'm looking forward to that race report.

2007-07-26 1:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park, IL
Bronze member
OMG - This is my race report exactly (except a much slower swim )!  I got sick on the bike too and couldn't take in ANYTHING except for sips of water.  But I nursed myself back to "health" on the run and finally my stomach felt better.  What was in Lake Mich Sunday morning?!!  Good job keeping at it.  That's a long time to not feel well and still keep racing.  I'm sure you'll have better luck at IM MOO!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Spirit of Racine Half Ironman Triathlon Rss Feed